Merge FAQ

STF-7
When I did a Google search on "mozilla calendar faq", I got these two
places:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/calendar-lightning-and-sunbird-faq
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:FAQ

It would be better to merge them into one place (and of course place a
link in another place to point back).

I have a little spare time (about an hour per week :D ).  I could help
to merge them if needed.  For this, I would need to know the procedure.

PS: The "official" FAQ at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.htm no longer exists.

Re: Merge FAQ

Philipp Kewisch-2
On 6/2/15 8:47 PM, STF wrote:

> When I did a Google search on "mozilla calendar faq", I got these two
> places:
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/calendar-lightning-and-sunbird-faq
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:FAQ
>
> It would be better to merge them into one place (and of course place a
> link in another place to point back).
>
> I have a little spare time (about an hour per week :D ).  I could help
> to merge them if needed.  For this, I would need to know the procedure.
>
> PS: The "official" FAQ at
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.htm no longer exists.

I would be delighted! Our documentation is an area we are not doing
great on, and someone like you helping out is just the thing we need!

The wiki is mostly from times before we had support.mozilla.org (SUMO).
There are also some articles on kb.mozillazine.org, this site is a third
party resource though.

I think the best way forward is to use SUMO for all articles that
explain things to the user, MDN [1] for all articles and information of
use for developers, and the wiki for more temporary pieces of work, like
feature planning and design stuff.

Creating new articles on SUMO is easy, all you need to do is sign up for
an account, then you can start creating articles. Before they are
published they need to be reviewed, but this happens automatically by
the reviewers (which I believe I am a part of).

Unfortunately there is no "subirectory" specific to calendar articles in
SUMO, but the convention is to prefix all pages specific to Lightning
with "calendar-" and all pages specific to Thunderbird with "thunderbird-".

Once we have the page migrated to SUMO, you can change the wiki page
(also, simply sign up/in to the wiki and start editing the page) to
redirect to the new page on SUMO.

If you have further questions or would like to chat, feel free to either
email me, or visit me on irc.mozilla.org. I hang out in the channel
#calendar and my nickname is Fallen.

Great to have you on board!
Philipp

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Calendar

Re: Merge FAQ

STF-7
On 2015.06.02 20:59, Philipp Kewisch wrote:

> On 6/2/15 8:47 PM, STF wrote:
>> When I did a Google search on "mozilla calendar faq", I got these two
>> places:
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/calendar-lightning-and-sunbird-faq
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:FAQ
>>
>> It would be better to merge them into one place (and of course place a
>> link in another place to point back).
>>
>> I have a little spare time (about an hour per week :D ).  I could help
>> to merge them if needed.  For this, I would need to know the procedure.
>>
>> PS: The "official" FAQ at
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.htm no longer exists.
>
> I would be delighted! Our documentation is an area we are not doing
> great on, and someone like you helping out is just the thing we need!

It's just like moving object from point A to point B.  No programming is
needed.  Except that it takes time, so it's easy :)

> The wiki is mostly from times before we had support.mozilla.org (SUMO).
> There are also some articles on kb.mozillazine.org, this site is a third
> party resource though.
>
> I think the best way forward is to use SUMO for all articles that
> explain things to the user, MDN [1] for all articles and information of
> use for developers, and the wiki for more temporary pieces of work, like
> feature planning and design stuff.
>
> Creating new articles on SUMO is easy, all you need to do is sign up for
> an account, then you can start creating articles.

There's only the link to sign in in SUMO, but no link in any page to let
us sign up!  Luckily there's Google which finds out the URL for me!
Strange, or is it intentional?  Anyway.

I'm looking for a sandbox so I could try things without committing
anything.  You know, like in wikipedia.org where we can use sandbox page
to try out things like formatting, etc.  I haven't found one yet.  If
you could tell me whether there's one or not, that could save my time.

> Before they are
> published they need to be reviewed, but this happens automatically by
> the reviewers (which I believe I am a part of).
>
> Unfortunately there is no "subirectory" specific to calendar articles in
> SUMO, but the convention is to prefix all pages specific to Lightning
> with "calendar-" and all pages specific to Thunderbird with "thunderbird-".

Do you want one whole page (ie amend to the current FAQ)?  Or do you
want several smaller pages?

> Once we have the page migrated to SUMO, you can change the wiki page
> (also, simply sign up/in to the wiki and start editing the page) to
> redirect to the new page on SUMO.

OK

TIA :)