Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Stan Goodman-2
This memory behavior appeared with Firefox v1.5; it remains with
v1.5.0.1 and with PmW-Fx v1.5.

The amount of free memory is reduced in largish chunks when I load
additional browser tabs; but when I delete a tab, free memory doesn't
increase, until I stop the browser altogether. If I do a lot of
jumping from tab to tab, free memory decreases further gradually. When
it gets down to about 180MB, the browser window gets repainted in very
gross form, and the browser becomes useless. Usually, I can stop the
browser and reload it, but occasionally it is necessary to reboot the
machine. I don't remember this kind of memory drain in previous
releases.

The system has 512MB og RAM. The SWAP line in config.sys is:

SWAPPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM 2048 24576

I have never known the SWAP file to grow from its initial valuse,
although there is plenty of room for it to do so. That would seem to
mean that if the system were really out of memory, It could buy some
from the SWAP file.

Do others see this? What, if anything, can I do about it?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw
grenades and firebombs, burn buildings, decapitate those who remain
unconvinced, and in general, exhibit your narrow-minded
bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing it for
God.

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Felix Miata-2
On 06/02/23 08:46 Stan Goodman apparently typed:

Give this a read: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html
--
"Love your neighbor as yourself."         Mark 12:31 NIV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/auth

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Jeroen Besse
Felix Miata wrote:

> On 06/02/23 08:46 Stan Goodman apparently typed:
>
>> This memory behavior appeared with Firefox v1.5; it remains with
>> v1.5.0.1 and with PmW-Fx v1.5.
>
>> The amount of free memory is reduced in largish chunks when I load
>> additional browser tabs; but when I delete a tab, free memory doesn't
>> increase, until I stop the browser altogether. If I do a lot of
>> jumping from tab to tab, free memory decreases further gradually. When
>> it gets down to about 180MB, the browser window gets repainted in very
>> gross form, and the browser becomes useless. Usually, I can stop the
>> browser and reload it, but occasionally it is necessary to reboot the
>> machine. I don't remember this kind of memory drain in previous releases.
>
>> Do others see this? What, if anything, can I do about it?

Yes, I see this too.

> Give this a read: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

Well, if that story is the case, I should get all my memory back when
closing Firefox. However, I don't get it back. Only a reboot will solve
things.

--
Best regards,
Jeroen Besse

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Stan Goodman-2
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:33:08 UTC, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> opined:

> On 06/02/23 08:46 Stan Goodman apparently typed:
>
> > This memory behavior appeared with Firefox v1.5; it remains with
> > v1.5.0.1 and with PmW-Fx v1.5.
>
> > The amount of free memory is reduced in largish chunks when I load
> > additional browser tabs; but when I delete a tab, free memory doesn't
> > increase, until I stop the browser altogether. If I do a lot of
> > jumping from tab to tab, free memory decreases further gradually. When
> > it gets down to about 180MB, the browser window gets repainted in very
> > gross form, and the browser becomes useless. Usually, I can stop the
> > browser and reload it, but occasionally it is necessary to reboot the
> > machine. I don't remember this kind of memory drain in previous
> > releases.
>
> > Do others see this? What, if anything, can I do about it?
>
> Give this a read: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

Thanks, Felix.

It's very interesting, and it's good to see this kind of discussion
going on. The "feature" is evidently a work in progress, so there's
hope that it will someday develop to the point where "feature" can be
written without quotes. As it is, the fact that it fails so
ungracefully (see above) leads me to disable it, at least for the time
being, as it isn't ready for prime time.

Some of the participants say that memory is reclaimed when a tab is
closed; that is untrue, if what I see here is a guide. There are also
too many assumptions about how most users work, or how they "should"
use the prowser. For example, I think tabbed browsing is the greatest
thing since sliced bread, but there are many cases in which going back
and forward is a natural way to work. The browser's features shouldn't
dictate how one HAS to use them; that's the Microsoft way.

For pity's sake, a "feature" should NOT result in a crash that
requires a reboot.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw
grenades and firebombs, burn buildings, decapitate those you can't
convince, and in general, exhibit your narrow-minded
bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing it for
God.

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Stan Goodman-2
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:59:33 UTC, Jeroen Besse <[hidden email]>
opined:

> Felix Miata wrote:
> > On 06/02/23 08:46 Stan Goodman apparently typed:
> >
> >> This memory behavior appeared with Firefox v1.5; it remains with
> >> v1.5.0.1 and with PmW-Fx v1.5.
> >
> >> The amount of free memory is reduced in largish chunks when I load
> >> additional browser tabs; but when I delete a tab, free memory doesn't
> >> increase, until I stop the browser altogether. If I do a lot of
> >> jumping from tab to tab, free memory decreases further gradually. When
> >> it gets down to about 180MB, the browser window gets repainted in very
> >> gross form, and the browser becomes useless. Usually, I can stop the
> >> browser and reload it, but occasionally it is necessary to reboot the
> >> machine. I don't remember this kind of memory drain in previous releases.
> >
> >> Do others see this? What, if anything, can I do about it?
>
> Yes, I see this too.
>
> > Give this a read: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html
>
> Well, if that story is the case, I should get all my memory back when
> closing Firefox. However, I don't get it back. Only a reboot will solve
> things.

Apparently there is some variability in behavior. Some of them say
memory is reclaimed when a tab is closed (doesn't happen here). You
see that happening only with a reboot. I see it when Firefox is
closed. I've disabled the "feature", to see how great the threatened
speed penalty is. I'll put up with a speed price as an alternative to
unheralded collapse.

Another thing I'm going to try is opening two Firefox windows. Part of
the problem here is that I keep two tabs open permanently, for CNN and
a newspaper. A lot of the back-and-forth is related to these. If I can
separate them from other use, that may give me the best of both
worlds. And if I can't do that with a separate Firefox window, I may
use Opera for them.

Question: Is a second Firefox window a separate instance of the
browser? Or is it simply a separate view of the browser already
running?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw
grenades and firebombs, burn buildings, decapitate those you can't
convince, and in general, exhibit your narrow-minded bloodthirstiness
for all to see -- and tell them you're doing it for God.

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Stan Goodman wrote:
<snip>
> Question: Is a second Firefox window a separate instance of the
> browser? Or is it simply a separate view of the browser already
> running?

Same Browser, just another window opened.  This reduces the memory foot
print as compared to two copies running.  There a setting in preferences
to allow it to open a new window, instead of a new tab (at least there
is in SeaMonkey).
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Dave Yeo-3
William L. Hartzell wrote:

> Sir:
>
> Stan Goodman wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Question: Is a second Firefox window a separate instance of the
>> browser? Or is it simply a separate view of the browser already
>> running?
>>

> Same Browser, just another window opened.  This reduces the memory foot
> print as compared to two copies running.  There a setting in preferences
> to allow it to open a new window, instead of a new tab (at least there
> is in SeaMonkey).

IIRC there is also an enviromental setting (which I can't think of right
now) which will change this behaviour so you could have two instances open.
Dave

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Steve Wendt
Dave Yeo wrote:

> IIRC there is also an enviromental setting (which I can't think of right
> now) which will change this behaviour so you could have two instances open.

MOZ_NO_REMOTE

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Stan Goodman-2
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:24:01 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
opined:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>
> > IIRC there is also an enviromental setting (which I can't think of right
> > now) which will change this behaviour so you could have two instances open.
>
> MOZ_NO_REMOTE

I've found a 2003 mention of this in the Polarbar Mailer forum. <SET
MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1> causes a new window to be a new instance.

But the writer of that posting also said that he had to use a
different profile for the new instance. Is this true?

Stan Goodman wrote:

> I've found a 2003 mention of this in the Polarbar Mailer forum. <SET
> MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1> causes a new window to be a new instance.
>
> But the writer of that posting also said that he had to use a
> different profile for the new instance. Is this true?

It's probably far safer that way.

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Stan Goodman-2
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:16:53 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
opined:
> Stan Goodman wrote:
>
> > I've found a 2003 mention of this in the Polarbar Mailer forum. <SET
> > MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1> causes a new window to be a new instance.
> >
> > But the writer of that posting also said that he had to use a
> > different profile for the new instance. Is this true?
>
> It's probably far safer that way.

Then it's probably less trouble to use a non-Mozilla browser for the
two news-source URLs that do most of the back-and-forward that is
causing Firefox to barf. I'll just d/l Opera.

Thanks.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw
grenades and firebombs, burn buildings, decapitate those you can't
convince, and in general, exhibit your narrow-minded bloodthirstiness
for all to see -- and tell them you're doing it for God.

Re: Memory problem in Firefox v1.5.x

Stan Goodman-2
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:33:08 UTC, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> opined:

> On 06/02/23 08:46 Stan Goodman apparently typed:
>
> > This memory behavior appeared with Firefox v1.5; it remains with
> > v1.5.0.1 and with PmW-Fx v1.5.
>
> > The amount of free memory is reduced in largish chunks when I load
> > additional browser tabs; but when I delete a tab, free memory doesn't
> > increase, until I stop the browser altogether. If I do a lot of
> > jumping from tab to tab, free memory decreases further gradually. When
> > it gets down to about 180MB, the browser window gets repainted in very
> > gross form, and the browser becomes useless. Usually, I can stop the
> > browser and reload it, but occasionally it is necessary to reboot the
> > machine. I don't remember this kind of memory drain in previous
> > releases.
>
> > Do others see this? What, if anything, can I do about it?
>
> Give this a read: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

The setting that is said to be responsible for this behavior is:

<browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers>, the default setting for
which is -1. I have changed it to 0. I have not yet seen a crash as
before, but memory allocated when I open a tab still is not regained
when I close the tab, only when Firefox is closed.