Meeting notes for April

Gervase Markham
The notes from last night's Bugzilla Meeting are here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Meetings:2016-04-27

Gerv
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Meeting notes for April

Cédric Corazza
Le 28/04/2016 17:49, Gervase Markham a écrit :
> The notes from last night's Bugzilla Meeting are here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Meetings:2016-04-27
>
> Gerv

Hi,

I could not attend this meeting. I am a bit puzzled about "the Github
migration plans".
Although I do not contribute to the code, I do understand the
contributors' concerns about using Github.
There are alternatives for it, like Gitlab: https://about.gitlab.com/
which has more or less the same features than Github, than can be hosted
on Mozilla infrastructure.
In fact, I had to create a gitlab instance in my enterprise because
developers created a "wild" repo on github.
The burden is the initial configuration setup. Then, it is all about
backupping the MySQL/MariaDB dumps and upgrading when new versions are
released. The Community Edition support LDAP, CAS and database (local)
identification. 10 mn hacking allows to customize the homepage (this
feature is included in Enterprise Edition in a more easier way).
I did not check yet, but I guess there should be providers that propose
this kind of hosting
The Community Edition is licensed under MIT License.
Voilà!

My two cents

Cédric
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=$MSGRCPT>

Re: Meeting notes for April

David Lawrence-5
The issue is that, as I understand it, Mozilla is downsizing on the
amount of VCS systems it has to maintain. So IT is trying to
decommission the internal git server and is not really interested in
putting another one in its place and maintain that instead (gitlab).
So if we move to github, we have a stable place to host the upstream
Bugzilla as well as BMO itself.

dkl

--
David Lawrence
[hidden email]

On 30/04/16 22:18, David Lawrence wrote:
> The issue is that, as I understand it, Mozilla is downsizing on the
> amount of VCS systems it has to maintain. So IT is trying to
> decommission the internal git server and is not really interested in
> putting another one in its place and maintain that instead (gitlab).
> So if we move to github, we have a stable place to host the upstream
> Bugzilla as well as BMO itself.

From my perspective (others may disagree) it's not impossible that we
host it another Git-hosting site and do a read-only mirror on Github
(for visibility), if sufficient contributing developers object on
principle to Github and can agree on an alternative site with a
reasonable feature set. However, given our limited resources, I don't
believe self-hosting would be a good use of them.

Gerv

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Meeting notes for April

Emmanuel Seyman-3
* Gervase Markham [02/05/2016 15:10] :

> From my perspective (others may disagree) it's not impossible that we
> host it another Git-hosting site and do a read-only mirror on Github
> (for visibility), if sufficient contributing developers object on
> principle to Github and can agree on an alternative site with a
> reasonable feature set.

FYI, the terms of service you have to agree to in order to create an
account in github are here:
https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/

And the privacy policy is here:
https://help.github.com/articles/github-privacy-policy/

>                         However, given our limited resources, I don't
> believe self-hosting would be a good use of them.

A while back, there was talk of being hosted by the Eclipse Foundation.
Would they be willing to maintain a git system (assuming they don't
already do that)?

Emmanuel
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Meeting notes for April

maalik gulley
Stop all malware and Bugzilla