Mass deletion is not an improvement in organization

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Mass deletion is not an improvement in organization

L. David Baron
I've been a little concerned (out of the corner of my eye) about the
"reorganize www.mozilla.org" project for a while; I was worried
something like this:
  https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=446213
would happen.  Now it has.

While improvements in the organization of our documentation are a
good thing, "let's delete everything since we can't deal with it"
(or break links to everything, which is pretty much the same thing)
is not an improvement.   When pages are moved, redirects should be
added.  And changes being made on the presumption that content is
obsolete should not occur without at least a good-faith effort to
determine whether it is in fact obsolete.

This change is extremely misguided and should be reverted.

-David

--
L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/
_______________________________________________
dev-documentation mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-documentation
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mass deletion is not an improvement in organization

Eric Shepherd
As I understand it, everything that's been deleted has been archived,  
and just because it's gone right now doesn't necessarily mean it's not  
going to be put back later.  It's part of a process.  We talked about  
it at length at the Summit, and I think the plan is a good one, it's  
just going to be inconvenient for some folks while it's ongoing.

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
Mozilla Corporation
Blog: http://www.bitstampede.com

On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:59 AM, L. David Baron wrote:

> I've been a little concerned (out of the corner of my eye) about the
> "reorganize www.mozilla.org" project for a while; I was worried
> something like this:
>  https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=446213
> would happen.  Now it has.
>
> While improvements in the organization of our documentation are a
> good thing, "let's delete everything since we can't deal with it"
> (or break links to everything, which is pretty much the same thing)
> is not an improvement.   When pages are moved, redirects should be
> added.  And changes being made on the presumption that content is
> obsolete should not occur without at least a good-faith effort to
> determine whether it is in fact obsolete.
>
> This change is extremely misguided and should be reverted.
>
> -David
>
> --
> L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
> Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/
> _______________________________________________
> dev-documentation mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-documentation

_______________________________________________
dev-documentation mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-documentation
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mass deletion is not an improvement in organization

L. David Baron
On Monday 2008-08-04 01:06 -0400, Eric Shepherd wrote:
> As I understand it, everything that's been deleted has been archived,  
> and just because it's gone right now doesn't necessarily mean it's not  
> going to be put back later.  It's part of a process.  We talked about  
> it at length at the Summit, and I think the plan is a good one, it's  
> just going to be inconvenient for some folks while it's ongoing.

Does this "archiving" have any advantages?  It has plenty of
disadvantages.

-David

> On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:59 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
>
> > I've been a little concerned (out of the corner of my eye) about the
> > "reorganize www.mozilla.org" project for a while; I was worried
> > something like this:
> >  https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=446213
> > would happen.  Now it has.
> >
> > While improvements in the organization of our documentation are a
> > good thing, "let's delete everything since we can't deal with it"
> > (or break links to everything, which is pretty much the same thing)
> > is not an improvement.   When pages are moved, redirects should be
> > added.  And changes being made on the presumption that content is
> > obsolete should not occur without at least a good-faith effort to
> > determine whether it is in fact obsolete.
> >
> > This change is extremely misguided and should be reverted.
> >
> > -David
> >
> > --
> > L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
> > Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/
> > _______________________________________________
> > dev-documentation mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-documentation
>
> _______________________________________________
> dev-documentation mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-documentation

--
L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/
_______________________________________________
dev-documentation mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-documentation
Loading...