MalwareBytes blocking?

Mozilla - General mailing list
Ever since I installed FF ESR on my wife's computer, she has been
getting notices from MWB that it has blocked an attempted connection.
(See attachment). I put the same ESR version on my computer, but have
had no problems. I did a Whois on the sites, and the most prevalent is
Fastly, next was GoDaddy and finally Arax... something. Can't remember
and apparently the address didn't get copied. If anyone has any ideas
about what to do about this, I'd appreciate them. These are all outgoing
attempts by FF.

Re: MalwareBytes blocking?

David E. Ross-3
On 1/28/2018 11:08 AM, jetjock wrote:
> Ever since I installed FF ESR on my wife's computer, she has been
> getting notices from MWB that it has blocked an attempted connection.
> (See attachment). I put the same ESR version on my computer, but have
> had no problems. I did a Whois on the sites, and the most prevalent is
> Fastly, next was GoDaddy and finally Arax... something. Can't remember
> and apparently the address didn't get copied. If anyone has any ideas
> about what to do about this, I'd appreciate them. These are all outgoing
> attempts by FF.

If you have the paid version of Malwarebytes, go to its [Settings >
Exclusions] and set exclusions for the affected Web domains.  If you
have the free version, you cannot exclude Web domains; but in that case,
Malwarebytes should not be running in the background to detect Web sites.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.

Re: MalwareBytes blocking?

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 1/28/2018 11:08 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>>Ever since I installed FF ESR on my wife's computer, she has been
>>getting notices from MWB that it has blocked an attempted connection.
>>(See attachment). I put the same ESR version on my computer, but have
>>had no problems. I did a Whois on the sites, and the most prevalent is
>>Fastly, next was GoDaddy and finally Arax... something. Can't remember
>>and apparently the address didn't get copied. If anyone has any ideas
>>about what to do about this, I'd appreciate them. These are all outgoing
>>attempts by FF.
>>

> If you have the paid version of Malwarebytes, go to its [Settings >
> Exclusions] and set exclusions for the affected Web domains.  If you
> have the free version, you cannot exclude Web domains; but in that case,
> Malwarebytes should not be running in the background to detect Web sites.

I do have the paid version. Are you sure they can be whitelisted? Why
would MWB be blocking them? They don't appear to be malicious sites, but
there must be some reason MWB is blocking access to them.

Re: MalwareBytes blocking?

David E. Ross-3
On 1/28/2018 2:45 PM, jetjock wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 1/28/2018 11:08 AM, jetjock wrote:
>>
>>> Ever since I installed FF ESR on my wife's computer, she has been
>>> getting notices from MWB that it has blocked an attempted connection.
>>> (See attachment). I put the same ESR version on my computer, but have
>>> had no problems. I did a Whois on the sites, and the most prevalent is
>>> Fastly, next was GoDaddy and finally Arax... something. Can't remember
>>> and apparently the address didn't get copied. If anyone has any ideas
>>> about what to do about this, I'd appreciate them. These are all outgoing
>>> attempts by FF.
>>>

>> If you have the paid version of Malwarebytes, go to its [Settings >
>> Exclusions] and set exclusions for the affected Web domains.  If you
>> have the free version, you cannot exclude Web domains; but in that case,
>> Malwarebytes should not be running in the background to detect Web sites.
>>
> I do have the paid version. Are you sure they can be whitelisted? Why
> would MWB be blocking them? They don't appear to be malicious sites, but
> there must be some reason MWB is blocking access to them.

I have the free version of MWB, but the following might still help you.

1.  Launch MWB.

2.  On the left side of the MWB window, select Settings.

3.  On the Settings pane, select the Exclusions tab.

4.  On the Exclusions tab, select the Add Exclusion button.

5.  On the Add Exclusion Wizard window, select the Exclude a Website
radio button.

From there, you will have to "wing it" since my free version of MWB
disables the ability to setup the exclusion of a Web site.

For ongoing, background anti-virus detection I use AVG AntiVirus Free.
It too sometimes gives false rejections of files or Web sites.

The capability to detect phishing and malware Web sites in Firefox and
SeaMonkey relies on a database from Google, which consistently blocks
access to a Web site that I know is safe.  When I complained about that,
I was told that the Web site contains links to other Web sites that are
unsafe.  I do not understand why the safe site is also blocked instead
of only blocking the unsafe sites.