MPL Alpha 1 Draft Released

Luis Villa-5
  [This got sent to [hidden email] last week-
please follow up to that list, not governance@ or legal@. Apologies for
not sending it here promptly; in the future I will announce Alphas/Betas
to governance@ and legal@, but if you want all the intermediate
discussion as well, please subscribe to governance-mpl-update@.]

Hello, all-
Last week the Mozilla community had quite a few releases, and the MPL
team, not wanting to be left out, is excited to announce the first Alpha
draft of the next version of the Mozilla Public License.

The text is available here:

http://mpl.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MPL-2-alpha-one.pdf

and an annotated version, including commentary and links to previous
discussions of most of the included changes, is available here:

http://mpl.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MPL-2-Alpha-One-Discussion-And-Annotated-Markup.pdf

[An easier link for all the Alpha information is
http://mpl.mozilla.org/participate/alpha ]

We should stress that, like most Mozilla alphas, while this draft
includes a substantial number of changes, it is not feature complete- we
continue to consider significant revisions to some areas of the text. It
is also not something that should be used to release software under-
please wait until the final release for that! Finally, no decisions in
this draft are 'final'- we remain open to persuasion on both small
issues (formatting, specific word choice) and large issues (policy
choices that may be reflected in these changes.)

As usual, we welcome general questions and feedback through the
governance-mpl-update, and specific comments through mpl.co-ment.com.
Past iterations with this group have proved useful, and some suggestions
that came in through comment are reflected in the text.

We would like to ask that this community, and other users of the MPL,
carefully inspect the sections that have changed- while we've been
careful in making changes, and generally believe the changes make the
license easier to understand, we want to ensure that there are no
unintended side-effects, so the more eyeballs (particularly fresh ones)
on the license the better.

Thanks- look forward to discussing the new text with you-
Luis, on behalf of the rest of the MPL team

--
Luis Villa, Mozilla Legal
work email:[hidden email]  (preferred)

Re: MPL Alpha 1 Draft Released

Nelson Bolyard-3
So, Mozilla lawyers have rewritten the MPL, forming an alpha of MPL 2.
And make no mistake, it's a rewrite.

Now, looking down the road, I expect that, just as in the past when
Mozilla switched from the dual license to the tri-license, there will
be a whole lotta letters and/or emails sent out asking past contributors
to agree to relicense past contributions under the new license.

What's the plan for when past contributors of substantial portions
do not agree, either because they have some specific objection
or simply because they no longer exist (e.g. corporations, or
deceased persons) or (in at least one case) are corporations that
have been acquired since they made their past contributions, and
their new owners are not open source friendly (to say the least)?

Then what?

Rip out the old software and look for a replacement?  (Good luck!)

Re: MPL Alpha 1 Draft Released

Asa Dotzler-2
On 7/17/2010 7:09 PM, Nelson Bolyard wrote:

> So, Mozilla lawyers have rewritten the MPL, forming an alpha of MPL 2.
> And make no mistake, it's a rewrite.
>
> Now, looking down the road, I expect that, just as in the past when
> Mozilla switched from the dual license to the tri-license, there will
> be a whole lotta letters and/or emails sent out asking past contributors
> to agree to relicense past contributions under the new license.
>
> What's the plan for when past contributors of substantial portions
> do not agree, either because they have some specific objection
> or simply because they no longer exist (e.g. corporations, or
> deceased persons) or (in at least one case) are corporations that
> have been acquired since they made their past contributions, and
> their new owners are not open source friendly (to say the least)?
>
> Then what?
>
> Rip out the old software and look for a replacement?  (Good luck!)

My understanding is that Mozilla "the project" does not require a
re-licensing like it did for the tri-licensing effort. If the MPL is
updated, then the Mozilla project will have to decide, like any other
project using the MPL, whether or not to update to the latest version.
Doing so won't require that every copyright holder assent like it did
when adopting the additional license a few years ago. This is not a
re-licensing like it was for the LGPL and GPL additions.

- A

Re: MPL Alpha 1 Draft Released

Robert Kaiser
Nelson Bolyard schrieb:
> So, Mozilla lawyers have rewritten the MPL, forming an alpha of MPL 2.
> And make no mistake, it's a rewrite.

It's not just Mozilla lawyers sitting in some backyard dark room, it's
all happening and being discussed in the public, see
mozilla.governance.mpl-update and https://mpl.co-ment.com/

> Now, looking down the road, I expect that, just as in the past when
> Mozilla switched from the dual license to the tri-license, there will
> be a whole lotta letters and/or emails sent out asking past contributors
> to agree to relicense past contributions under the new license.

As far as I know, the MPL v1.1 contains an "or later" rule that allows
any code licensed under it to be reused under any newer version of the
MPL, so no permission letters are needed for that.

IANAL, though, you better read up in the mpl-update group and ask the
actual lawyers dealing with this.

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible

  On 7/18/10 9:32 AM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Nelson Bolyard schrieb:
>> So, Mozilla lawyers have rewritten the MPL, forming an alpha of MPL 2.
>> And make no mistake, it's a rewrite.
You can of course argue about the fine line between 'rewrite',
'revision', 'update', etc., but I'll stress again that it is primarily a
revision and fine-tuning rather than a substantial policy change, at
least so far.
And http://mpl.mozilla.org.
>> Now, looking down the road, I expect that, just as in the past when
>> Mozilla switched from the dual license to the tri-license, there will
>> be a whole lotta letters and/or emails sent out asking past contributors
>> to agree to relicense past contributions under the new license.
>
> As far as I know, the MPL v1.1 contains an "or later" rule that allows
> any code licensed under it to be reused under any newer version of the
> MPL, so no permission letters are needed for that.
That's correct.

Luis