Lost Applications under Preferences in FF 31.8.0

Lost Applications under Preferences in FF 31.8.0

Martin Rosenfeld-2
I have no applications listed in Preferences. What file in my profile
should hold these application names? How can I get them back? Running
eCS22bii.

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Lost Applications under Preferences in FF 31.8.0

Dave Yeo-3
Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> I have no applications listed in Preferences. What file in my profile
> should hold these application names? How can I get them back? Running
> eCS22bii.

Good question. They seem to have dumbed down the applications list too
the point where there is only 9 choices under
about:preferences#applications and most are Always ask or preview in
Firefox. This is 38ESR.
Used to be that Firefox used RWS to get the applications from the WPS
but I haven't really been paying attention about whether it still works
as I disabled it due to crashes.
You might have to recreate the applications list or it may have gone
away in their quest to drive people away from using Firefox.
Dave

Re: Lost Applications under Preferences in FF 31.8.0

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave,

>> I have no applications listed in Preferences. What file in my profile
>> should hold these application names? How can I get them back? Running
>> eCS22bii.
>>

> Good question. They seem to have dumbed down the applications list too
> the point where there is only 9 choices under
> about:preferences#applications and most are Always ask or preview in
> Firefox. This is 38ESR.
> Used to be that Firefox used RWS to get the applications from the WPS
> but I haven't really been paying attention about whether it still works
> as I disabled it due to crashes.
> You might have to recreate the applications list or it may have gone
> away in their quest to drive people away from using Firefox.

How can I go about recreating the applications list?

Martin

Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Dave,
>
>>> I have no applications listed in Preferences. What file in my profile
>>> should hold these application names? How can I get them back? Running
>>> eCS22bii.
>>>

>> Good question. They seem to have dumbed down the applications list too
>> the point where there is only 9 choices under
>> about:preferences#applications and most are Always ask or preview in
>> Firefox. This is 38ESR.
>> Used to be that Firefox used RWS to get the applications from the WPS
>> but I haven't really been paying attention about whether it still works
>> as I disabled it due to crashes.
>> You might have to recreate the applications list or it may have gone
>> away in their quest to drive people away from using Firefox.
>
> How can I go about recreating the applications list?

It used to be done by adding them as needed, eg open a foo file and pick
foo to handle it. Now it seems to have been dumbed down. If RWS doesn't
take care of it when using the default, I'm not sure.
Dave

Re: Lost Applications under Preferences in FF 31.8.0

Steven Levine-3
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:40:05 UTC, Martin Rosenfeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys,

> How can I go about recreating the applications list?

Try restoring mimeTypes.rdf from your backups.

See:

  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Steven