Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Axel Hecht
Hi,

to frame the topic:

We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date,
so we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.

I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
l10n that want to participate in this discussion.

I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.

Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for
desktop. I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog
on whether you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's
a good data point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully
localized browser, a browser with mixed in English strings, or a
migration of the users of those locales to ... well, what to convert to
is subject of this discussion as well.

RSVP..

Axel

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Toni Hermoso Pulido-2
Al 07/09/11 22:09, En/na Axel Hecht ha escrit:

> Hi,
>
> to frame the topic:
>
> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date,
> so we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>
> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
> l10n that want to participate in this discussion.
>
> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
> calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
> discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>
> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
> devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for
> desktop. I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog
> on whether you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's
> a good data point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully
> localized browser, a browser with mixed in English strings, or a
> migration of the users of those locales to ... well, what to convert to
> is subject of this discussion as well.

Hello,

as far as there is an open discussion agenda before the meetings
(somewhere in Mozilla wiki), count on me.
I must say that, as a member of a group localising at Aurora pace, I
imagine I have a different POV and my accumulated experiences may
greatly differ from those ones of people that are admirably following
central repository trail.

Best,
--
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Armen Zambrano G.
Let me know if I can help in any way.
For Armenian localization I poke the localizers a week after the merge
and again a week or two before the next merge for web bugs and any
lingering translations.

On 11-09-07 4:09 PM, Axel Hecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to frame the topic:
>
> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date,
> so we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>
> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
> l10n that want to participate in this discussion.
>
> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
> calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
> discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>
> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
> devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for
> desktop. I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog
> on whether you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's
> a good data point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully
> localized browser, a browser with mixed in English strings, or a
> migration of the users of those locales to ... well, what to convert to
> is subject of this discussion as well.
>
> RSVP..
>
> Axel

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

flod
Hi Axel,
count me in for this discussion.

Francesco

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Marcelo Poli-2
Count me in.
I'm working on all products.

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Dwayne Bailey

On 2011-09-07 22:09, Axel Hecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to frame the topic:
>
> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them
> up-to-date, so we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>
> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
> l10n that want to participate in this discussion.
>
> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
> calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep
> the discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>
> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls
> and devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship
> for desktop. I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a
> dialog on whether you want to keep your system-installed addons,
> AFAICT. That's a good data point to make sure we balance the UX
> between a fully localized browser, a browser with mixed in English
> strings, or a migration of the users of those locales to ... well,
> what to convert to is subject of this discussion as well.
>
> RSVP..
I'm interested, but travelling a lot at the moment.

For the language on Pootle this is critical, they've managed to keep up
on Aurora and the rapid release has been a good experience.  I ping them
and that seems to get people translating.  But I've also been grappling
with when is a language not good enough and we stop assisting.

--
regards
Dwayne

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Peter Pin-Guang Chen
Hi Axel,

Please count me in. :)

Peter

2011/9/8 Axel Hecht <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> to frame the topic:
>
> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date, so
> we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>
> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and l10n
> that want to participate in this discussion.
>
> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf calls
> and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
> discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>
> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
> devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for desktop.
> I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog on whether
> you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's a good data
> point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully localized browser, a
> browser with mixed in English strings, or a migration of the users of those
> locales to ... well, what to convert to is subject of this discussion as
> well.
>
> RSVP..
>
> Axel

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Matjaz Horvat
Great idea -I'm in!

Matjaž

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Dwayne Bailey <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 2011-09-07 22:09, Axel Hecht wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> to frame the topic:
>>
>> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
>> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date, so
>> we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>>
>> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
>> l10n that want to participate in this discussion.
>>
>> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
>> calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
>> discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>>
>> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
>> devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for desktop.
>> I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog on whether
>> you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's a good data
>> point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully localized browser, a
>> browser with mixed in English strings, or a migration of the users of those
>> locales to ... well, what to convert to is subject of this discussion as
>> well.
>>
>> RSVP..
>>
> I'm interested, but travelling a lot at the moment.
>
> For the language on Pootle this is critical, they've managed to keep up on
> Aurora and the rapid release has been a good experience.  I ping them and
> that seems to get people translating.  But I've also been grappling with
> when is a language not good enough and we stop assisting.
>
> --
> regards
> Dwayne

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Staś Małolepszy
This is a great and important discussion to be had, thanks for
spearheading this, Axel!  Count me in, as well.

-stas
--
Staś Małolepszy
mozilla.org

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

marsf
Hi Axel,

I'm not a main peer of Firefox/Fennec, but working for others.
Please count me in.

On 9月8日, 午前5:09, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to frame the topic:
>
> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date,
> so we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>
> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
> l10n that want to participate in this discussion.
>
> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
> calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
> discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>
> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
> devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for
> desktop. I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog
> on whether you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's
> a good data point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully
> localized browser, a browser with mixed in English strings, or a
> migration of the users of those locales to ... well, what to convert to
> is subject of this discussion as well.
>
> RSVP..
>
> Axel

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Milos-6
On 09/08/2011 02:06 PM, Staś Małolepszy wrote:
> This is a great and important discussion to be had, thanks for
> spearheading this, Axel!  Count me in, as well.
>
> -stas
Count me in too.

--
Milos Dinic,
Firefox productization&  WebLocalization enchanter,

twitter: @dinicmilos
blog: http://brokenkeyboard.info

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Zbigniew Braniecki-4
Awesome!

Please, count me in as I want to make sure that l20n will at the very
least not increase complexity here.

Cheers,
g.
--

Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org)

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Cédric Corazza

The French locale is not really concerned with this, but you might want
to know how we deal with this new pace. Feel free to ping me if interested.
Regards

Cédric

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

Vito Smolej-3
On Sep 7, 10:09 pm, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to frame the topic:
>
> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date,
> so we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>
> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
> l10n that want to participate in this discussion.
>
> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
> calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
> discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>
> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
> devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for
> desktop. I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog
> on whether you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's
> a good data point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully
> localized browser, a browser with mixed in English strings, or a
> migration of the users of those locales to ... well, what to convert to
> is subject of this discussion as well.
>
> RSVP..
>
> Axel

Hi Axel:

Count me in!

smo

Re: Looking for participants: Discuss localizations falling behind on the rapid release schedule

F Wolff-2

Op Wo, 2011-09-07 om 22:09 +0200 skryf Axel Hecht:

> Hi,
>
> to frame the topic:
>
> We have a few localization efforts that don't keep up with the rapid
> localization process. There are no easy answers to keep them up-to-date,
> so we need to have a discussion when we flag locales.
>
> I'm looking for people from both product (Firefox/Fennec at least) and
> l10n that want to participate in this discussion.
>
> I hope to have a limited group of people doing a small number of conf
> calls and mail exchanges on this. That way, we shouldn't scope-creep the
> discussion, and get to an OK compromise at large.
>
> Why now? So far, the biggest UI changes have been around about: urls and
> devtools, so I've made the call myself to just continue to ship for
> desktop. I didn't investigate mobile. With Firefox 8, we'll see a dialog
> on whether you want to keep your system-installed addons, AFAICT. That's
> a good data point to make sure we balance the UX between a fully
> localized browser, a browser with mixed in English strings, or a
> migration of the users of those locales to ... well, what to convert to
> is subject of this discussion as well.

Hi Axel

It sounds like an interesting discussion. I'm not sure why we need to
RSVP, calls, etc.  I assume part of the discussion at least can be
handled here?

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: