Localization notes 'Do not translate "CC"' in mime.properties (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey): is there a reason?

Localization notes 'Do not translate "CC"' in mime.properties (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey): is there a reason?

Benoit Leseul
Hi all,

While looking at a printing bug in our translation of Thunderbird, I
found a couple of strange comments in mime.properties; they say:

# LOCALIZATION NOTE (1006): Do not translate "CC" below.
1006=Resent-CC
<http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger/mime.properties#90>

and later in this file:

# LOCALIZATION NOTE (1013): Do not translate "CC" below.
1013=CC
<http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger/mime.properties#126>

For as long as we can remember (before Mozilla 1.x), we never followed
this advice in our translation (French), and it doesn't seem to have
caused any problem. Many other locales (for example Polish or Italian)
also changed this part of the string to something else.

So, is there really a reason for those comments (special behaviour or
styling)? If not, we should probably remove them as they are confusing.
And if it is the case, I think it does not really belong to a properties
file.
What do you think?

--
Benoit

Re: Localization notes 'Do not translate "CC"' in mime.properties (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey): is there a reason?

Filip Miletic-4
Benoit schreef:
> So, is there really a reason for those comments (special behaviour or
> styling)? If not, we should probably remove them as they are confusing.
> And if it is the case, I think it does not really belong to a properties
> file.
> What do you think?

If I may, many of the "don't translate" comments do not make sense in
the context of the target language.  I have seen a significant number of
"don't translates" which really need a translation for proper l10n, and
which don't cause problems when translated.  (hopefully you don't make
me search for them now :)  It makes no sense (l10n-wise) offering a
string for translation and then labelling it with "don't translate".  I
suspect there's a good reason for this state-of-affairs, but the reason
itself eludes me.

Re: Localization notes 'Do not translate "CC"' in mime.properties (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey): is there a reason?

Axel Hecht
Filip Miletic wrote:

> Benoit schreef:
>> So, is there really a reason for those comments (special behaviour or
>> styling)? If not, we should probably remove them as they are
>> confusing. And if it is the case, I think it does not really belong to
>> a properties file.
>> What do you think?
>
> If I may, many of the "don't translate" comments do not make sense in
> the context of the target language.  I have seen a significant number of
> "don't translates" which really need a translation for proper l10n, and
> which don't cause problems when translated.  (hopefully you don't make
> me search for them now :)  It makes no sense (l10n-wise) offering a
> string for translation and then labelling it with "don't translate".  I
> suspect there's a good reason for this state-of-affairs, but the reason
> itself eludes me.

He talked about ... ok, enough bashing.

Please do find those cases, though.

Axel

Benoit wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> While looking at a printing bug in our translation of Thunderbird, I
> found a couple of strange comments in mime.properties; they say:
>
> # LOCALIZATION NOTE (1006): Do not translate "CC" below.
> 1006=Resent-CC
> <http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger/mime.properties#90>
>

> and later in this file:
>
> # LOCALIZATION NOTE (1013): Do not translate "CC" below.
> 1013=CC
> <http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger/mime.properties#126>
>

> For as long as we can remember (before Mozilla 1.x), we never followed
> this advice in our translation (French), and it doesn't seem to have
> caused any problem. Many other locales (for example Polish or Italian)
> also changed this part of the string to something else.
>
> So, is there really a reason for those comments (special behaviour or
> styling)? If not, we should probably remove them as they are confusing.
> And if it is the case, I think it does not really belong to a properties
> file.
> What do you think?

Bah on that file. I talked to David Ascher about that just last week :-)

I know that we have faced problems in stuff like this for non-latin
encodings or so. Like, not everything that would make sense from an l10n
POV is actually allowed by the mail RFCs. Sob.

And, wow, does that file make me weep.

Axel