Locale switcher in Firefox

Michal Stanke-2
Hi l10n.

I have been testing Waterfox and Pale Moon today for a review and
comparison with Firefox and I have noticed, that Waterfox includes
locale switcher in about:preferences > General. I think many people are
calling for this in Firefox. Would it be possible to backport it from
Waterfox to upstream Firefox?

I have found some related commit and PRs. It's actually quite some time
it has been added, so the current code may be already different:

  * https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/commit/efa1f09c3d1478387538c64afac5a6dd50405349
  * https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/pull/100
  * https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/pull/101

--
Michal Stanke

Re: Locale switcher in Firefox

Michael Bauer-11
Yes, though I'd give up hope to be honest. Still would be great to have,
it's a real problem in mixed-language households with shared devices.

Michael

Sgrìobh Michal Stanke na leanas 18/10/2017 aig 18:58:
> I think many people are calling for this in Firefox.

Re: Locale switcher in Firefox

Michal Stanke-2
The switcher in Waterfox uses all langpacks included in the build. In
Firefox it can just offer language of the build plus the language packs
installed and feature an option to download more (like it works for
spellcheck).

--
Michal Stanke

Dne 18. 10. 2017 10:42 odpoledne napsal uživatel "Michael Bauer" <
[hidden email]>:

> Yes, though I'd give up hope to be honest. Still would be great to have,
> it's a real problem in mixed-language households with shared devices.
>
> Michael
>
> Sgrìobh Michal Stanke na leanas 18/10/2017 aig 18:58:
>
>> I think many people are calling for this in Firefox.

Re: Locale switcher in Firefox

Axel Hecht
Am 18.10.17 um 19:58 schrieb Michal Stanke:

> Hi l10n.
>
> I have been testing Waterfox and Pale Moon today for a review and
> comparison with Firefox and I have noticed, that Waterfox includes
> locale switcher in about:preferences > General. I think many people are
> calling for this in Firefox. Would it be possible to backport it from
> Waterfox to upstream Firefox?
>
> I have found some related commit and PRs. It's actually quite some time
> it has been added, so the current code may be already different:
>
>   *
> https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/commit/efa1f09c3d1478387538c64afac5a6dd50405349
>
>   * https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/pull/100
>   * https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/pull/101

It's also a question about the UX for builds we produce and language
packs during updates, and the install experience.

If you're having an OS-updated multi-locale build, that's avoiding those
questions.

Axel