Links in TB email won't open in Firefox.

Links in TB email won't open in Firefox.

The Real Bev
This problem just hit me a few days ago.  Survived a number of hard
reboots. I posted into the TB group with no results.

TB38/slackware in both regular and safe mode.  Neither firefox 65
release/slackware in both regular and safe mode nor the latest
66beta/slackware work.  Just tried FF52ESR, same result.  It's GOT to be
something affecting TB.

For testing purposes -- If I download and install the latest version of
TB into a separate subdirectory with a new profile and start it from
within that subdirectory, is there ANY chance that my 6GB current
profile containing all my email back to 1994 will be affected in any
way?  I do complete system backups so I can restore my entire profile
easily, but I worry anyway.

Clicking on a link in TB does nothing.  Right-clicking 'open link in
browser' does nothing.  Opening a blank tab in FF and then copy+pasting
the URL DOES work.

I've NEVER had firefox set as my default browser, but I did that.  No
change.

This line in my .bashrc previously pointed to Netscape 475 (yeah, that
line has been there forever), so I changed it to this and rebooted.

MOZILLA_HOME=/stuff/FF65/firefox
export MOZILLA_HOME

No change.

I copied over the mimeapps.list file from the one from December.  No change.

I'm flailing here.  I've had to do this with Facebook and some other
videos (copying URL into chrome)  for at least a year, which was
sufficiently maddening, but to have to do it with every link in email is
worse -- much worse.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "They redundantly repeated themselves over and over again

Re: Links in TB email won't open in Firefox.

WaltS48-9
On 3/25/19 3:50 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> This problem just hit me a few days ago.  Survived a number of hard
> reboots. I posted into the TB group with no results.
>
> TB38/slackware in both regular and safe mode.  Neither firefox 65
> release/slackware in both regular and safe mode nor the latest
> 66beta/slackware work.  Just tried FF52ESR, same result.  It's GOT to be
> something affecting TB.
>
> For testing purposes -- If I download and install the latest version of
> TB into a separate subdirectory with a new profile and start it from
> within that subdirectory, is there ANY chance that my 6GB current
> profile containing all my email back to 1994 will be affected in any
> way?  I do complete system backups so I can restore my entire profile
> easily, but I worry anyway.
>
> Clicking on a link in TB does nothing.  Right-clicking 'open link in
> browser' does nothing.  Opening a blank tab in FF and then copy+pasting
> the URL DOES work.
>
> I've NEVER had firefox set as my default browser, but I did that.  No
> change.
>
> This line in my .bashrc previously pointed to Netscape 475 (yeah, that
> line has been there forever), so I changed it to this and rebooted.
>
> MOZILLA_HOME=/stuff/FF65/firefox
> export MOZILLA_HOME
>
> No change.
>
> I copied over the mimeapps.list file from the one from December.  No
> change.
>
> I'm flailing here.  I've had to do this with Facebook and some other
> videos (copying URL into chrome)  for at least a year, which was
> sufficiently maddening, but to have to do it with every link in email is
> worse -- much worse.

Does ya have Thunderbird set as your default email client in Thunderbird
and your operating systems preferred applications or whatever term they
use? Is Firefox set the same in both places?

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop

Re: Links in TB email won't open in Firefox.

Hartmut Figge
The Real Bev:

>Clicking on a link in TB does nothing.  Right-clicking 'open link in
>browser' does nothing.  Opening a blank tab in FF and then copy+pasting
>the URL DOES work.

Phew. That could get tedious. Depending on, of course. ;)

Setting the default browser requires the desktop to understand that
request. I had a lot of difficulties regarding that because there is no
desktop on my machine, only IceWM, and the whole world seems to assume
that everyone has a desktop.

Oh well.

Most desktops should now use xdg-utils. I assume that TB and FF use them
also. Not sure of that.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-utils/

If you do not have installed xdg-utils, do that now. I found the
descriptions lacking in clarity, therefore I am giving an example.
Remember, I do not have a desktop and my manipulations happened many
years ago. Mostly forgotten now.

hafi@i5-64 ~ $ xdg-settings --list
Known properties:
  default-url-scheme-handler    Default handler for URL scheme
  default-web-browser           Default web browser

hafi@i5-64 ~ $ xdg-settings  get default-web-browser
affe.desktop

hafi@i5-64 ~ $ locate affe.desktop
/usr/share/applications/affe.desktop

hafi@i5-64 ~ $ cat /usr/share/applications/affe.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=SeaMonkey
Type=Application
Comment=Mozille
Exec=affe-default %u
TryExec=affe-default
Icon=links
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;

hafi@i5-64 ~ $ locate affe-default
/usr/local/bin/affe-default

hafi@i5-64 ~ $ cat /usr/local/bin/affe-default
affe -browser $@

The command which calls the default browser is affe and it is a link to
the last compiled SM-Trunk.

On 03/25/2019 01:21 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 3/25/19 3:50 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> This problem just hit me a few days ago.  Survived a number of hard
>> reboots. I posted into the TB group with no results.
>>
>> TB38/slackware in both regular and safe mode.  Neither firefox 65
>> release/slackware in both regular and safe mode nor the latest
>> 66beta/slackware work.  Just tried FF52ESR, same result.  It's GOT to be
>> something affecting TB.
>>
>> For testing purposes -- If I download and install the latest version of
>> TB into a separate subdirectory with a new profile and start it from
>> within that subdirectory, is there ANY chance that my 6GB current
>> profile containing all my email back to 1994 will be affected in any
>> way?  I do complete system backups so I can restore my entire profile
>> easily, but I worry anyway.
>>
>> Clicking on a link in TB does nothing.  Right-clicking 'open link in
>> browser' does nothing.  Opening a blank tab in FF and then copy+pasting
>> the URL DOES work.
>>
>> I've NEVER had firefox set as my default browser, but I did that.  No
>> change.
>>
>> This line in my .bashrc previously pointed to Netscape 475 (yeah, that
>> line has been there forever), so I changed it to this and rebooted.
>>
>> MOZILLA_HOME=/stuff/FF65/firefox
>> export MOZILLA_HOME
>>
>> No change.
>>
>> I copied over the mimeapps.list file from the one from December.  No
>> change.
>>
>> I'm flailing here.  I've had to do this with Facebook and some other
>> videos (copying URL into chrome)  for at least a year, which was
>> sufficiently maddening, but to have to do it with every link in email is
>> worse -- much worse.
>
> Does ya have Thunderbird set as your default email client in Thunderbird

Yes.
> and your operating systems preferred applications or whatever term they
> use? Is Firefox set the same in both places?

I've used TB for so long that if there was an entry in .bashrc or other
configuration file I can't remember what it might be, but I haven't
changed any of those files within living memory :-(  Maybe ldconfig a
couple of months ago...

Any files in /root/.thunderbird/myprofile that might drive this?  These
are the only files with dates that changed within the appropriate time
period.

-rw-r--r--  1 root         0 Mar 25 08:36 .parentlock
-rw-------  1 root    115757 Mar 24 23:14 junklog.html
-rw-r--r--  1 root     11888 Mar 24 23:14 virtualFolders.dat
-rw-------  1 root    753664 Mar 24 23:14 cert8.db
-rw-------  1 root     16384 Mar 24 23:14 key3.db
-rw-r--r--  1 root      6198 Mar 24 23:14 folderTree.json
-rw-------  1 root    231654 Mar 24 19:09 addons.json
-rw-------  1 root    429419 Mar 24 19:07 blocklist.xml
-rw-------  1 root     37263 Mar 24 10:40 downloads.json
-rw-r--r--  1 root   2270008 Mar 22 23:05 training.dat
-rw-r--r--  1 root         8 Mar 22 23:05 traits.dat
-rw-r--r--  1 root    375431 Mar 20 20:31 history.mab
-rw-r--r--  1 root       177 Mar 19 21:55 directoryTree.json

--
Cheers, Bev
   Why do men's hearts beat faster, their knees get weak, their throats

On 03/25/2019 03:34 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

> The Real Bev:
>
>>Clicking on a link in TB does nothing.  Right-clicking 'open link in
>>browser' does nothing.  Opening a blank tab in FF and then copy+pasting
>>the URL DOES work.
>
> Phew. That could get tedious. Depending on, of course. ;)
>
> Setting the default browser requires the desktop to understand that
> request. I had a lot of difficulties regarding that because there is no
> desktop on my machine, only IceWM, and the whole world seems to assume
> that everyone has a desktop.

fvwm95, which I used originally because it was the one that was most
completely configured in slackware in 1995 or 1996.  I last changed my
.fvwm95rc in February.

> Oh well.
>
> Most desktops should now use xdg-utils. I assume that TB and FF use them
> also. Not sure of that.
>
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-utils/
>
> If you do not have installed xdg-utils, do that now. I found the
> descriptions lacking in clarity, therefore I am giving an example.
> Remember, I do not have a desktop and my manipulations happened many
> years ago. Mostly forgotten now.
>
> hafi@i5-64 ~ $ xdg-settings --list
> Known properties:
>    default-url-scheme-handler    Default handler for URL scheme
>    default-web-browser           Default web browser
>
> hafi@i5-64 ~ $ xdg-settings  get default-web-browser
> affe.desktop

bb:/root>xdg-settings get default-web-browser
userapp-Firefox-CSGYYZ.desktop

> hafi@i5-64 ~ $ locate affe.desktop
> /usr/share/applications/affe.desktop

bb:/root>locate CSGYYZ
/root/.local/share/applications/userapp-Firefox-CSGYYZ.desktop

> hafi@i5-64 ~ $ cat /usr/share/applications/affe.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=SeaMonkey
> Type=Application
> Comment=Mozille
> Exec=affe-default %u
> TryExec=affe-default
> Icon=links
> Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
> MimeType=x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;

bb:/root>cat /root/.local/share/applications/userapp-Firefox-CSGYYZ.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true
Exec=/stuff/FF65/firefox/firefox-bin %u
Name=Firefox
Comment=Custom definition for Firefox

AH-HAH!  I remember that I just deleted the /usr/bin/firefox link
because it pointed at an older version that I didn't use.  Recreated it
and the links open just like they're supposed to!

I suppose there's some reason that FF looks at that link even though I
never use it to start FF, but it is not proper to inquire into the ways
of dragons...

DAMN!  THANK YOU!