Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Simon Paquet-3
[Followup-To set to mozilla.dev.apps.calendar]

The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0 beta1
release of Lightning has been completed and is now available via AMO[1].

Nearly 16 months after the 0.9, this release is more than overdue and
we're more than happy to get the nearly 500 bugfixes and improvements
into the hands of our users. Notable improvements of this release are:

* Seamless integration into the new Thunderbird 3.0 user interface
* The different modes (calendar view, task view) are now diplayed in tabs
* Lightning now supports SeaMonkey 2.0 as a host application
* You can now define multiple alarms for a single event
* CalDAV support and interoperability with various CalDAV servers have
  been improved
* The application stability, performance and memory consumption have
  been improved
* Estonian, Frisian, Galician, Hebrew, Indonesian, Punjabi, Sinhala,
  Tamil, Turkish and Vietnamese were added as new languages.
  Unfortunately no builds in Traditional Chinese, Slovenian, Swedish
  or Ukrainian are available for 1.0 beta1

Lightning 1.0 beta1 is available for Windows, Mac OS X (universal builds)
and Linux in 37 different languages including English. Please read the
release notes for Lightning 1.0 beta1[2] before downloading.

Thank you again to all our developers, contributors, localizers, testers,
and supporters. We would not be able to do this without your assistance!

Simon Paquet

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313
[2] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html

--
Thunderbird/Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Thunderbird l10n blog:       http://thunderbird-l10n.blogspot.com

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Robert Kaiser
Simon Paquet wrote:
> The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0 beta1
> release of Lightning has been completed and is now available via AMO[1].
>
> [...]
> * Lightning now supports SeaMonkey 2.0 as a host application

Thanks so much to the calendar team, keep up the good work!

I'm looking forward to more collaboration and satisfied shared users!

Robert Kaiser

gdata provider

Millwood
It appears that the gdata provider 0.6 which worked with the nightlys
doesnt like the beta.  I see "requires additional items" in the add on
entry,

Is there a newer version?  Where?

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Millwood
You need the new gdata-provider as well.  I found it at:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/lightning/releases/1.0b1rc1/win32/

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

NoOp-5
On 01/12/2010 03:25 PM, Simon Paquet wrote:
> [Followup-To set to mozilla.dev.apps.calendar]
>
> The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0 beta1
> release of Lightning has been completed and is now available via AMO[1].
>
> Nearly 16 months after the 0.9, this release is more than overdue and
> we're more than happy to get the nearly 500 bugfixes and improvements
> into the hands of our users. Notable improvements of this release are:
>

> [1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313
> [2] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html

Thanks. On
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US;
rv:1.9.1.8pre) Gecko/20100110 Lightning/1.0b1 SeaMonkey/2.0.3pre
w/lightning from the nightlies working fine, attempting to load this
version I get:

"Lightning" could not be installed because it is not compatible with
your SeaMonkey build type (Linux_x86_64-gcc3). Please contact the author
of this item about the problem.

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Stefan Sitter-2
NoOp wrote:
> "Lightning" could not be installed because it is not compatible with
> your SeaMonkey build type (Linux_x86_64-gcc3). Please contact the
> author of this item about the problem.

Hello NoOp,

like always there are no official 64-bit Lightning builds provided. You
have to build one yourself that matches your system. Or you wait until
someone contributes a 64-bit build and makes it available for download.
Or you wait until your Linux distribution offers one.

Stefan

Re: gdata provider

Stefan Sitter-2
Millwood wrote:
> It appears that the gdata provider 0.6 which worked with the nightlys
> doesnt like the beta. I see "requires additional items" in the add
> on entry,
> Is there a newer version? Where?

You could access your Google Calendar using the built-in CalDAV
provider. See the official Google Calendar Help for instructions on how
to set up the CalDAV access.

Or try Provider for Google Calendar 0.6b1. It ought to be compatible:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addons/versions/4631#version-0.6b1>

Stefan

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Mack L
On 1/12/2010 3:25 PM, Simon Paquet wrote:

> [Followup-To set to mozilla.dev.apps.calendar]
>
> The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0 beta1
> release of Lightning has been completed and is now available via AMO[1].
>
> Nearly 16 months after the 0.9, this release is more than overdue and
> we're more than happy to get the nearly 500 bugfixes and improvements
> into the hands of our users. Notable improvements of this release are:
>
> * Seamless integration into the new Thunderbird 3.0 user interface
> * The different modes (calendar view, task view) are now diplayed in tabs
> * Lightning now supports SeaMonkey 2.0 as a host application
> * You can now define multiple alarms for a single event
> * CalDAV support and interoperability with various CalDAV servers have
>    been improved
> * The application stability, performance and memory consumption have
>    been improved
> * Estonian, Frisian, Galician, Hebrew, Indonesian, Punjabi, Sinhala,
>    Tamil, Turkish and Vietnamese were added as new languages.
>    Unfortunately no builds in Traditional Chinese, Slovenian, Swedish
>    or Ukrainian are available for 1.0 beta1
>
> Lightning 1.0 beta1 is available for Windows, Mac OS X (universal builds)
> and Linux in 37 different languages including English. Please read the
> release notes for Lightning 1.0 beta1[2] before downloading.
>
> Thank you again to all our developers, contributors, localizers, testers,
> and supporters. We would not be able to do this without your assistance!
>
> Simon Paquet
>

> [1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313
> [2] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html

Ooooops - looks like "File" and "Edit" disappeared from the command line
in Thunderbird.  I went back to the Jan 11 nightly.

Mack L.

--
Legacy Miniature Schnauzers<br>
Patty and Mack Ledgerwood<br>

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Katharina Preißer
A contrib build is available at

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/lightning/releases/1.0b1/contrib/linux-x86_64/

Philipp

On Jan 13, 3:58 am, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/12/2010 03:25 PM, Simon Paquet wrote:
>
> > [Followup-To set to mozilla.dev.apps.calendar]
>
> > The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0 beta1
> > release of Lightning has been completed and is now available via AMO[1].
>
> > Nearly 16 months after the 0.9, this release is more than overdue and
> > we're more than happy to get the nearly 500 bugfixes and improvements
> > into the hands of our users. Notable improvements of this release are:
>
> > [1]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313
> > [2]http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html
>
> Thanks. On
> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US;
> rv:1.9.1.8pre) Gecko/20100110 Lightning/1.0b1 SeaMonkey/2.0.3pre
> w/lightning from the nightlies working fine, attempting to load this
> version I get:
>
> "Lightning" could not be installed because it is not compatible with
> your SeaMonkey build type (Linux_x86_64-gcc3). Please contact the author
> of this item about the problem.

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

dblzed
Il 13/01/2010 0.25, Simon Paquet ha scritto:

> [Followup-To set to mozilla.dev.apps.calendar]
>
> The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0 beta1
> release of Lightning has been completed and is now available via AMO[1].
>
> Nearly 16 months after the 0.9, this release is more than overdue and
> we're more than happy to get the nearly 500 bugfixes and improvements
> into the hands of our users. Notable improvements of this release are:
>
> * Seamless integration into the new Thunderbird 3.0 user interface
> * The different modes (calendar view, task view) are now diplayed in tabs
> * Lightning now supports SeaMonkey 2.0 as a host application
> * You can now define multiple alarms for a single event
> * CalDAV support and interoperability with various CalDAV servers have
>    been improved
> * The application stability, performance and memory consumption have
>    been improved
> * Estonian, Frisian, Galician, Hebrew, Indonesian, Punjabi, Sinhala,
>    Tamil, Turkish and Vietnamese were added as new languages.
>    Unfortunately no builds in Traditional Chinese, Slovenian, Swedish
>    or Ukrainian are available for 1.0 beta1
>
> Lightning 1.0 beta1 is available for Windows, Mac OS X (universal builds)
> and Linux in 37 different languages including English. Please read the
> release notes for Lightning 1.0 beta1[2] before downloading.
>
> Thank you again to all our developers, contributors, localizers, testers,
> and supporters. We would not be able to do this without your assistance!
>
> Simon Paquet
>

> [1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313
> [2] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html

Please update the link for the Windows timezones update in the
"Downloading and Installing" section.
You're linking to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951072/ but this KB
had been updated and replaced with this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955839/
I know it's written in the first line of the KB article but maybe
someone not notice it.

Thanks a lot for your work!!

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Simon Paquet-2
Robert Kaiser wrote on 13. Jan 2010:

>> The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0
>> beta1 release of Lightning has been completed and is now available
>> via AMO[1].
>>
>> [...]
>> * Lightning now supports SeaMonkey 2.0 as a host application
>
> Thanks so much to the calendar team, keep up the good work!
>
> I'm looking forward to more collaboration and satisfied shared users!

Robert, given that this is the first public release that supports
SeaMonkey, I think it would make sense to advertise this in a more
public way in the SeaMonkey community, e.g. via your blog and via
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news as well.

What do you think?

Simon

Millwood wrote on 13. Jan 2010:

> You need the new gdata-provider as well.  I found it at:
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/lightning/releases/1.0b1rc1/win32/

I would suggest that everyone downloads the Google Calendar Provider
from the usual place,

That way you are informed of updates automatically.

Simon

dblzed wrote on 13. Jan 2010:

> Please update the link for the Windows timezones update in the
> "Downloading and Installing" section.
> You're linking to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951072/ but this KB
> had been updated and replaced with this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955839/
> I know it's written in the first line of the KB article but maybe
> someone not notice it.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll update it tonight.

Simon

Simon Paquet wrote:
> Robert, given that this is the first public release that supports
> SeaMonkey, I think it would make sense to advertise this in a more
> public way in the SeaMonkey community, e.g. via your blog and via
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news as well.
>
> What do you think?

Good idea, but it might take myself a few days to come up with a fitting
text for that on my own, as I have quite some backlog to work right now.
Do you have a good proposal of what to post there?

Robert Kaiser

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Rolf Gloor-3
Am 13.01.2010 00:25, schrieb Simon Paquet:

> [Followup-To set to mozilla.dev.apps.calendar]
>
> The Calendar Project is proud to report, that (finally) the 1.0 beta1
> release of Lightning has been completed and is now available via AMO[1].
>
> Nearly 16 months after the 0.9, this release is more than overdue and
> we're more than happy to get the nearly 500 bugfixes and improvements
> into the hands of our users. Notable improvements of this release are:
>
> * Seamless integration into the new Thunderbird 3.0 user interface
> * The different modes (calendar view, task view) are now diplayed in tabs
> * Lightning now supports SeaMonkey 2.0 as a host application
> * You can now define multiple alarms for a single event
> * CalDAV support and interoperability with various CalDAV servers have
>    been improved
> * The application stability, performance and memory consumption have
>    been improved
> * Estonian, Frisian, Galician, Hebrew, Indonesian, Punjabi, Sinhala,
>    Tamil, Turkish and Vietnamese were added as new languages.
>    Unfortunately no builds in Traditional Chinese, Slovenian, Swedish
>    or Ukrainian are available for 1.0 beta1
>
> Lightning 1.0 beta1 is available for Windows, Mac OS X (universal builds)
> and Linux in 37 different languages including English. Please read the
> release notes for Lightning 1.0 beta1[2] before downloading.
>
> Thank you again to all our developers, contributors, localizers, testers,
> and supporters. We would not be able to do this without your assistance!
>
> Simon Paquet
>

> [1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313
> [2] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html

Hi Simon

Congratulations to you and the whole team.
Great work.

I immediately changed to the release version.

Keep the good work up.
Looking forward to further improvements, next betas, RC's and finally
the final build.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Rolf

> [...]

I immediately changed to the release version.

Keep the good work up.
Looking forward to further improvements, next betas, RC's and finally
the final build.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Rolf

Re: Lightning 1.0 beta1 now available for download

Simon Paquet-2
Robert Kaiser wrote on 13. Jan 2010:

>> Robert, given that this is the first public release that supports
>> SeaMonkey, I think it would make sense to advertise this in a more
>> public way in the SeaMonkey community, e.g. via your blog and via
>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news as well.
>>
>> What do you think?

> Good idea, but it might take myself a few days to come up with a
> fitting text for that on my own, as I have quite some backlog to
> work right now. Do you have a good proposal of what to post there?

Well, a short re-hash of your original post from somewhere in 2009,
where you announced that SM nightlies would now somewhat work with
Lightning nightlies could serve as the basis.

You can then explain that 99% of all the issues that existed back then
have been resolved, which prompted us (Calendar team) to officially
support SeaMonkey with the 1.0b1 release.

Simon