Lightning 0.1 - first impressions

Andrew N Dowden
Really great effort, look forward to using it a work tool.

first impressions ..
(a.) needs better utilization of tree pane.  Actually not issue with Lightning itself.  Large impact on users with complex folders, multiple mailboxes - if this window area is halved (looking at alternatives).
(b.) right / left arrows are repositioned due to length of month-title, particularly left arrow.  If user tries click, click, click ..  they can lose focus and miss.
(c.) click (or right-click) on view-title, eg. 'March 2006', should lead to dialog for 'GoTo': with fields (for year, month, day); quick select week/month/year for next, prev buttons; as well as 'Go to today', week nn, etc.  Otherwise buttons too cumbersome for large interval.  ie. Sep. '08
(d.) colour shading for public holidays, regional, and special (red-letter) days would greatly enhance views.  Although this would still have to be 'standard' in the iCal files.

Re: Lightning 0.1 - first impressions

Jef Driesen-2
Andrew N Dowden wrote:
> Really great effort, look forward to using it a work tool.
>
> first impressions ..
> (a.) needs better utilization of tree pane.  Actually not issue with
> Lightning itself.  Large impact on users with complex folders, multiple
> mailboxes - if this window area is halved (looking at alternatives).

Certainly an issue if you are also using the Contacts Sidebar [1]
extension. This extension also adds a sidebar to the tree pane. Maybe it
would be a nice idea if extensions could share this place, by adding
extra tabs or some other method. Also a possibility to hide this sidebar
would be a good idea.

[1] http://jpeters.no-ip.com/extensions/index.php?page=tb_cs_screenshots

Re: Lightning 0.1 - first impressions

Rod Whiteley
On 16/03/2006 13:39, Jef Driesen wrote:
> ...a possibility to hide this sidebar...

A workaround is discussed in the forum, but I have no idea how it
interacts with other extensions:

Rod Whiteley