Less Reliance on Google

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Less Reliance on Google

Brandom Fletcher
Can Firefox quit using Google's safe sites list?  Their algorithms are
clearly broken and generate tons of false positives:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/57474509?hl=en

The problems Google is creating for the internet are ridiculous.
Mozilla should quit relying on anything Google.  Create your own
unsafe sites list that doesn't use the broken algorithms and
technology (mainly VirusTotal) that Google uses and refuses to fix.

I'm sick of how Google is influencing every part of the web now when
they're wrong about pretty much everything and their AI is complete
garbage.  Here's to hoping we can rely and trust Google less moving
forward into the future.  Our outlook is extremely poor as it stands
right now.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Less Reliance on Google

WaltS48-12
On 7/6/20 3:46 PM, Brandom Fletcher wrote:

> Can Firefox quit using Google's safe sites list?  Their algorithms are
> clearly broken and generate tons of false positives:
>
> https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/57474509?hl=en
>
> The problems Google is creating for the internet are ridiculous.
> Mozilla should quit relying on anything Google.  Create your own
> unsafe sites list that doesn't use the broken algorithms and
> technology (mainly VirusTotal) that Google uses and refuses to fix.
>
> I'm sick of how Google is influencing every part of the web now when
> they're wrong about pretty much everything and their AI is complete
> garbage.  Here's to hoping we can rely and trust Google less moving
> forward into the future.  Our outlook is extremely poor as it stands
> right now.
>

I haven't seen any problems in my daily use of the Internet, but then I
do go to the same sites everyday and when my browsing is done for the
morning may revisit some of them in the evening.

YMMV

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/
Why didn't he Make America Great Again in the first term?
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Less Reliance on Google

Mozilla - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Brandom Fletcher
On 06/07/2020 20:46, Brandom Fletcher wrote:

> Can Firefox quit using Google's safe sites list?  Their algorithms are
> clearly broken and generate tons of false positives:
>
> https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/57474509?hl=en
>
> The problems Google is creating for the internet are ridiculous.
> Mozilla should quit relying on anything Google.  Create your own
> unsafe sites list that doesn't use the broken algorithms and
> technology (mainly VirusTotal) that Google uses and refuses to fix.
>
> I'm sick of how Google is influencing every part of the web now when
> they're wrong about pretty much everything and their AI is complete
> garbage.  Here's to hoping we can rely and trust Google less moving
> forward into the future.  Our outlook is extremely poor as it stands
> right now.

Are you using Google's DNS servers?

Who told you that Mozilla is using Google's safe site list.  You can use
any DNS servers and it should work.  I suggest use your own ISPs servers
or use 1.1.1.1 as your gateway.

Google is never involved with your browsing unless you use their search
engine and/or DNS servers.  The servers are: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

If you are sick of Google then just block Google from your machine by
using your hosts file.  Why are you still using gmail? Did anybody force
you to use gmail?

> Path: buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.mozilla.org!news.mozilla.org.POSTED!not-for-mail
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 14:47:01 -0500
> Return-Path: <[hidden email]>
> X-Original-To: [hidden email]
> Delivered-To: [hidden email]
> X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at mozilla.org
> X-Spam-Flag: NO
> X-Spam-Score: -0.039
> X-Spam-Level:
> X-Spam-Status: No, score=-0.039 tagged_above=-999 required=5
>   tests=[BAYES_00=-0.05, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, KAM_DMARC_STATUS=0.01]
>   autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
> Authentication-Results: mailman2.mail.mdc2.mozilla.com (amavisd-new);
>   dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com
> Received-SPF: pass (gmail.com ... _spf.google.com: Sender is authorized to use
>   '[hidden email]' in 'mfrom' identity (mechanism
>   'include:_netblocks.google.com' matched))
>   receiver=mailman2.mail.mdc2.mozilla.com; identity=mailfrom;
>   envelope-from="[hidden email]"; helo=mail-oo1-f65.google.com;
>   client-ip=209.85.161.65
> DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025;
>   h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to;
>   bh=vdwdxrrmrWYY9n2MkRMFIGNrKuvOYj46zhRyHDNoWWA=;
>   b=j3ElpQWozRGRNofycNXWYWdZHV254yXYRiW9HSgLJAcY8KKfWzz55ysQIufzSvArzG
>   OUF5NJnlE/UkgqtqV29bJn2H8M1fUvoEXg4csOlySuNDwE1m8MZPQ3HYlCRj06lrXGqm
>   MkTNUSzJnie0Z/s0azR8Y7IzlcbreOiYaovpMbWxmIW08qoMGCCl4Iw9QarLvAzemVAf
>   EYIaFK+G2KSt9LF+LYRnILC7wpM6+8zSIJLReKphjnOddZidPi3NEFZywr5FbhStYshR
>   4vJk2fC0Z4x/nuSvKuSE3WxPicFwrm9DjEqNYhl5sAsMnhsiBMyk0tQRzT3dZCTyaw3i
>   2rOQ==
> X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
>   d=1e100.net; s=20161025;
>   h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to;
>   bh=vdwdxrrmrWYY9n2MkRMFIGNrKuvOYj46zhRyHDNoWWA=;
>   b=RLu9TQmlD5v0qyaA2KPRDc80KOLA44H+RS/h/qw7cF0Kf7zAO+FtPXMoaa7XuPal5n
>   SVQdLsKdVMEb15g2jFKz0ynj0tt0ww5ksAicPlzVkTrB6HOnBq6+byq9YggQwBH4LXJb
>   M81LhtIyiOE1elm3Fo0aPGzTcmHJAt+nkkBQHFFuihWvWJ2z8PwOm1bSTOLqCnbtg3wj
>   W2qpnMWM58wOvjdoeISy6RVxvOMwle7fPfcbLXfGDmSWgFfeLPmJcdPepYhINZqrHq7i
>   XJ0aD3wEIwH4ED+T2VTsXynFBLwhek6v6sLPOwMb5RUZjxubQOakdZO+SsGKkmcQT/+C
>   iZRQ==
> X-Gm-Message-State: AOAM530aGXZopxFv2zezacJHJWgfAp5QZ71Lzo6nwlZiDxP8BQcSGhtr
>   bDXfazYXBQ2xZVFlU2Z9171qo8Q21nfUhzJVaBj2bfdSGNKEqQ==
> X-Google-Smtp-Source: ABdhPJzw6TPnJgjIdmm6VqeKQsBum2G66iQDc/3KxjEDenEbOq6KnIogpNAtNedpsaNY9Z8g/jA/p+r6JT9au74UVK8=
> X-Received: by 2002:a4a:e381:: with SMTP id l1mr40664929oov.55.1594064819179;
>   Mon, 06 Jul 2020 12:46:59 -0700 (PDT)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> From: Brandom Fletcher <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 13:46:48 -0600
> Subject: Less Reliance on Google
> To: [hidden email]
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> X-BeenThere: [hidden email]
> X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.26
> Precedence: list
> List-Id: General catch-all discussion group <general.lists.mozilla.org>
> List-Unsubscribe: <https://lists.mozilla.org/options/general>,
>   <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> List-Post: <mailto:[hidden email]>
> List-Help: <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=help>
> List-Subscribe: <https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general>,
>   <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=subscribe>
> Newsgroups: mozilla.general
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> X-Mailman-Original-Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> References: <[hidden email]>
> Lines: 15
> X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
> NNTP-Posting-Host: 63.245.210.105
> X-AuthenticatedUsername: NoAuthUser
> X-Trace: sv3-EZIZH50FtyTG3AThf56OJUPtwR5EH5Esw/MIbJtpW4S5mf/H1FcFFay+wJcVMr5p02DyP2kb25WdyrX!cnIPo5u4gc1wsmBNOtrInu1icqd8S0Yd+D5cYxK20mfN+twhCvc0psxaf/st1i/OaG7lxJMNPOgo!mvog6+SXGesaCFf6LhMLa9+n
> X-Complaints-To: [hidden email]
> X-DMCA-Complaints-To: [hidden email]
> X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
> X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
> X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
> Bytes: 4837
> Xref: number.nntp.giganews.com mozilla.general:117393

--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Less Reliance on Google

WaltS48-12
On 7/6/20 8:24 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 06/07/2020 20:46, Brandom Fletcher wrote:
>> Can Firefox quit using Google's safe sites list?  Their algorithms are
>> clearly broken and generate tons of false positives:
>>
>> https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/57474509?hl=en
>>
>> The problems Google is creating for the internet are ridiculous.
>> Mozilla should quit relying on anything Google.  Create your own
>> unsafe sites list that doesn't use the broken algorithms and
>> technology (mainly VirusTotal) that Google uses and refuses to fix.
>>
>> I'm sick of how Google is influencing every part of the web now when
>> they're wrong about pretty much everything and their AI is complete
>> garbage.  Here's to hoping we can rely and trust Google less moving
>> forward into the future.  Our outlook is extremely poor as it stands
>> right now.
>
> Are you using Google's DNS servers?
>
> Who told you that Mozilla is using Google's safe site list.  You can use
> any DNS servers and it should work.  I suggest use your own ISPs servers
> or use 1.1.1.1 as your gateway.
>

See <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Safe_Browsing>

Open about:config and search on the term "safebrowsing".

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/
Why didn't he Make America Great Again in the first term?
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general