Legend element rendering

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Legend element rendering

Ben Weiner
Hi,

Is this the right place to ask why the Legend element seems to be  
rendered so that its text content will not wrap over multiple lines?  
This is behaviour in a W3C-validated XHTML 1.0 strict page with no  
external CSS.

Please let me know where I should ask if not here.

Thanks,
Ben
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-layout mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-layout
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Legend element rendering

Boris Zbarsky
Ben Weiner wrote:
> Is this the right place to ask why the Legend element seems to be
> rendered so that its text content will not wrap over multiple lines?

Because it's not clear how a wrapping legend should be rendered (or any legend,
for that matter), because no spec describes the "correct" rendering, and because
it was just written that way....

So no particularly good reason, but to change it would require a clear idea of
what it should render as.

-Boris
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-layout mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-layout
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Legend element rendering

Ben Weiner
Hi,

On 7 Mar 2006, at 17:28, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Ben Weiner wrote:
>> Is this the right place to ask why the Legend element seems to be  
>> rendered so that its text content will not wrap over multiple lines?
>
> Because it's not clear how a wrapping legend should be rendered (or  
> any legend, for that matter), because no spec describes the  
> "correct" rendering, and because it was just written that way....
>
> So no particularly good reason, but to change it would require a  
> clear idea of what it should render as.

Good point.

KHTML (Safari at least) thinks these elements should line-wrap, and I  
think probably the fact that no other text element in a form seems to  
behave this way supports that. I guess legends got left alone because  
nobody ever used them...?

If I had to choose, I'd have it do what KHTML is doing on the grounds  
that having the text get clipped defeats the object of increasing  
accessibility, which is one reason why legends were introduced.

Cheers,
Ben
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-layout mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-layout
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Legend element rendering

Boris Zbarsky
In reply to this post by Boris Zbarsky
Ben Weiner wrote:
> KHTML (Safari at least) thinks these elements should line-wrap, and I
> think probably the fact that no other text element in a form seems to
> behave this way supports that. I guess legends got left alone because
> nobody ever used them...?

More like because it's not clear where and how to position legends that line-wrap.

-Boris
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-layout mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-layout