Launching a new Firefox browser as a new process instead of a thread

Launching a new Firefox browser as a new process instead of a thread

viboater
I am using Firefox 1.5 on XP.  When I launch a new browser window, I
would like to (sometimes)  have it run as a new process, not just a
thread of the main FireFox process.  It this possible?

This way I can keep my multple web mail account windows active
simultaneously.

Thanks

Re: Launching a new Firefox browser as a new process instead of a thread

Leonidas Jones
[hidden email] wrote:
> I am using Firefox 1.5 on XP.  When I launch a new browser window, I
> would like to (sometimes)  have it run as a new process, not just a
> thread of the main FireFox process.  It this possible?
>
> This way I can keep my multple web mail account windows active
> simultaneously.
>
> Thanks

I don't thnk you would need to open separate instances of the program to
accomplish that.  File>>New Window, or, even better, File>>New Tab,
would allow you to open any number of pages you might want.  I would
think new tabs would be more convenient, but that's up to you.

There is a way to do it:

http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/advice-html/simultaneous-profiles_versions.html

I'm just not clear on why you need this just to open web mail interfaces
at the same time.

Lee

Re: Launching a new Firefox browser as a new process instead of a thread

viboater
At least for yahoo mail and Hotmail they appear to maintain information
regarding the state of the mail account on a process wide level not on
a thread or window level.  So, the parent process owns it (and thus
shares it with all the children).  If you have multple windows
attempting to use yahoo mail, the last account to log in is the account
info for ALL of the Firefox windows.

With IE, if you launch a new browser from the .exe, you get a new
process.  If you launch a new  browser via a ^N or from an embedded
link, you get the FF behavior.

BTW, I love the TAB feature with FireFox and would really like the
individual tabs to run as seperate processes.  But for now, I would
settle for a new window doing that.
Thanks,
John

Re: Launching a new Firefox browser as a new process instead of a thread

Roland de Ruiter
[hidden email] wrote:
> I am using Firefox 1.5 on XP.  When I launch a new browser window, I
> would like to (sometimes)  have it run as a new process, not just a
> thread of the main FireFox process.  It this possible?
>
> This way I can keep my multple web mail account windows active
> simultaneously.
>
> Thanks

Set value of the environment variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE to 1, and then start
Firefox. You could do this from the command prompt (cmd.exe) or create a
batch file (named "SpawnFF.bat" for instance) with the following lines
(adjust the path to Firefox to match your system):

set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
start "FF" "C:\Program Files\MozillaFirefox\firefox.exe" -profilemanager

Note, that each Firefox process spawned in this way has to use a
different profile (you will be notified when you try to run FF with a
profile that's already in use). The -profilemanager commandline argument
causes FF to launch the ProfileManager which allows you to create and/or
select a different profile.

Regards,

Roland

[hidden email] wrote:

> At least for yahoo mail and Hotmail they appear to maintain information
> regarding the state of the mail account on a process wide level not on
> a thread or window level.  So, the parent process owns it (and thus
> shares it with all the children).  If you have multple windows
> attempting to use yahoo mail, the last account to log in is the account
> info for ALL of the Firefox windows.
>
> With IE, if you launch a new browser from the .exe, you get a new
> process.  If you launch a new  browser via a ^N or from an embedded
> link, you get the FF behavior.
>
> BTW, I love the TAB feature with FireFox and would really like the
> individual tabs to run as seperate processes.  But for now, I would
> settle for a new window doing that.
> Thanks,
> John

The link I provided will work, with the proviso that each instance of FF
will have to be running in a separate profile.  That will be the only
way you can get different Yahoo ID's open at the same time. Set up a
profile for each Yahoo ID, then use Edmeister's directions to open
different processes in each profile.

Are you aware that you can set up yahoo and hotmail accounts in any
standard email client, using Freepops?

www.freepops.org

Lee