Last Post That I See

Irwin Greenwald-4
The last post that I received from this newsgroup is dated 7/30/2009,
Which is a week ago.  Can't believe rag has been silent that long!
Irwin

Re: Last Post That I See

The Real Bev
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> The last post that I received from this newsgroup is dated 7/30/2009,
> Which is a week ago.  Can't believe rag has been silent that long!
> Irwin

Uhhhh... I got new skis last Saturday.  Will that do?

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Last Post That I See

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 8/6/2009 2:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
>
>> The last post that I received from this newsgroup is dated 7/30/2009,
>> Which is a week ago. Can't believe rag has been silent that long!
>> Irwin
>
> Uhhhh... I got new skis last Saturday. Will that do?

Are the Pasadena ski lifts open now?

Irwin

Re: Last Post That I See

The Real Bev
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 8/6/2009 2:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
>>
>>> The last post that I received from this newsgroup is dated 7/30/2009,
>>> Which is a week ago. Can't believe rag has been silent that long!
>>> Irwin
>>
>> Uhhhh... I got new skis last Saturday. Will that do?
>
> Are the Pasadena ski lifts open now?

Yes, but only for hikers and mountain-bikers.

I just lead a very dull life, and new (well, yard-sale, possibly 10 years old,
  but stainless steel and VERY cool) skis are a highlight :-)

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Last Post That I See

Ken Whiton
*-* On Thu, 06 Aug 2009, at 14:00:43 -0700,
*-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
*-* Irwin Greenwald wrote
*-* About Last Post That I See

> The last post that I received from this newsgroup is dated
> 7/30/2009,

     Prior to your post the last I was seeing were two from BJ dated
7/31/2009.

>            Which is a week ago.  Can't believe rag has been silent
> that long!

     "Rag"?  Did you perhaps mean "reg"? ;-)

                                        Ken Whiton
--
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: Last Post That I See

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 8/6/2009 9:18 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Thu, 06 Aug 2009, at 14:00:43 -0700,
> *-* In Article<[hidden email]>,
> *-* Irwin Greenwald wrote
> *-* About Last Post That I See
>
>> The last post that I received from this newsgroup is dated
>> 7/30/2009,
>
>       Prior to your post the last I was seeing were two from BJ dated
> 7/31/2009.
>
>>             Which is a week ago.  Can't believe rag has been silent
>> that long!
>
>       "Rag"?  Did you perhaps mean "reg"? ;-)
>
>                                          Ken Whiton

Good catch!  I don't touch type and have been having some eye problems
lately, so I'm surprised this is the only (caught) goof.

Irwin

Re: Last Post That I See

PhillipJones
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 8/6/2009 9:18 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
>> *-* On Thu, 06 Aug 2009, at 14:00:43 -0700,
>> *-* In Article<[hidden email]>,
>> *-* Irwin Greenwald wrote
>> *-* About Last Post That I See
>>
>>> The last post that I received from this newsgroup is dated
>>> 7/30/2009,
>>
>>       Prior to your post the last I was seeing were two from BJ dated
>> 7/31/2009.
>>
>>>             Which is a week ago.  Can't believe rag has been silent
>>> that long!
>>
>>       "Rag"?  Did you perhaps mean "reg"? ;-)
>>
>>                                          Ken Whiton
>
> Good catch!  I don't touch type and have been having some eye problems
> lately, so I'm surprised this is the only (caught) goof.
>
> Irwin

  I thought I was the only one that hunt and peck. Back when I was in
high school it wasn't manly for a man to take touch typing.  Boys that
did were consider Gay (only 1960's term was different). Back then unless
you were college bound to work in your dad's business, you  boys took
industrial arts. Women took  Home Ec, and typing and dictation.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.    "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org

Re: Last Post That I See

Ken Whiton
*-* On Fri, 07 Aug 2009, at 22:45:51 -0400,
*-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
*-* Phillip Jones wrote
*-* About Re: Last Post That I See

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
>> On 8/6/2009 9:18 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
>>> *-* Irwin Greenwald wrote

>>>       Prior to your post the last I was seeing were two from BJ
>>> dated 7/31/2009.

>>>       "Rag"?  Did you perhaps mean "reg"? ;-)

     Incidentally, he hasn't been completely silent.  He's done some
posting on secnews and in m.s.thunderbird during that time.

>> Good catch!  I don't touch type and have been having some eye
>> problems lately, so I'm surprised this is the only (caught) goof.
>
>  I thought I was the only one that hunt and peck.

     You're not alone.  I'm a two-finger hunt-and-peck typist.

>                                                   Back when I was in
> high school it wasn't manly for a man to take touch typing.  Boys
> that did were consider Gay (only 1960's term was different). Back
> then unless you were college bound to work in your dad's business,
> you  boys took industrial arts. Women took  Home Ec, and typing and
> dictation.

     It was pretty much the same in the 1950s, when I was in high school.

                                        Ken Whiton
--
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: Last Post That I See

Ron Hunter
Phillip Jones wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
>> On 8/6/2009 9:18 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
>>> *-* On Thu, 06 Aug 2009, at 14:00:43 -0700,
>>> *-* In Article<[hidden email]>,
>>> *-* Irwin Greenwald wrote
>>> *-* About Last Post That I See

>>>       Prior to your post the last I was seeing were two from BJ dated
>>> 7/31/2009.

>>>       "Rag"?  Did you perhaps mean "reg"? ;-)
>>>
>>>                                          Ken Whiton
>> Good catch!  I don't touch type and have been having some eye problems
>> lately, so I'm surprised this is the only (caught) goof.
>>
>> Irwin
>>
>   I thought I was the only one that hunt and peck. Back when I was in
> high school it wasn't manly for a man to take touch typing.  Boys that
> did were consider Gay (only 1960's term was different). Back then unless
> you were college bound to work in your dad's business, you  boys took
> industrial arts. Women took  Home Ec, and typing and dictation.

Funny.  I took typing when I was in high school, in the 1950's.  I also
took 'shop'.  I LIKED being in a class that was almost all girls!  One
of the best things I ever did.  Of course I studiously denied having the
skill when I was in the service as I didn't want to spend my whole
enlistment in front of a typewriter!

Re: Last Post That I See

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Good catch!  I don't touch type and have been having some eye
>>> problems lately, so I'm surprised this is the only (caught) goof.
>>>
>>> Irwin
>>>
>>   I thought I was the only one that hunt and peck. Back when I was in
>> high school it wasn't manly for a man to take touch typing.  Boys that
>> did were consider Gay (only 1960's term was different). Back then
>> unless you were college bound to work in your dad's business, you
>> boys took industrial arts. Women took  Home Ec, and typing and dictation.
>>
> Funny.  I took typing when I was in high school, in the 1950's.  I also
> took 'shop'.  I LIKED being in a class that was almost all girls!  One
> of the best things I ever did.  Of course I studiously denied having the
> skill when I was in the service as I didn't want to spend my whole
> enlistment in front of a typewriter!

What part of the country?
I live in a City in what you call Rural Virginia.  There are only the DC
area, Richmond, and Virginia Beach are considered Urban, modern, Hip and
possibility of Roanoke and maybe Lynchburg. Everywhere else your
considered, rural, Hayseed. In Martinsville , my area people though and
customs like people back at turn of the century until the lat 60's and
70's. Men had certain things they could or should do and, women had
things they could and should do  and they didn't mix. Men were primarily
the provider of the income. And the women looked after the house. and
used typing skills to help them catch a man to marry.

In some section of town  Its still that same way.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.    "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Last Post That I See

David McRitchie-2
"Phillip Jones"
> And the women looked after the house. and
> used typing skills to help them catch a man to marry.

"Sally Jean,  done caught herself a fell'r  cause of her
typing skills".      hogwash

Re: Last Post That I See

BJ-20
David McRitchie wrote:
> "Phillip Jones"
>> And the women looked after the house. and used typing skills to help
>> them catch a man to marry.
>
> "Sally Jean,  done caught herself a fell'r  cause of her
> typing skills".      hogwash

I can't speak for Phillip, but I assume what he meant was that Sally
Jean, gap-toothed though she may have been, was able to secure
employment because of her typing skills and thus attracted a freeloader
who had no income.

If that's not what he meant, rather that Sally Jean was attractive just
because she had typing skills . . . then I do indeed agree with you . .
. it's either hogwash or else those boys also fell in love with sheep.

BJ

--
Bob Jamieson

Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

Re: Last Post That I See

The Real Bev
Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Fri, 07 Aug 2009, at 22:45:51 -0400,
> *-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
> *-* Phillip Jones wrote
> *-* About Re: Last Post That I See
>
>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>      Incidentally, he hasn't been completely silent.  He's done some
> posting on secnews and in m.s.thunderbird during that time.
>
>>> Good catch!  I don't touch type and have been having some eye
>>> problems lately, so I'm surprised this is the only (caught) goof.
>>
>>  I thought I was the only one that hunt and peck.
>
>      You're not alone.  I'm a two-finger hunt-and-peck typist.
>
>>                                                   Back when I was in
>> high school it wasn't manly for a man to take touch typing.  Boys
>> that did were consider Gay (only 1960's term was different). Back
>> then unless you were college bound to work in your dad's business,
>> you  boys took industrial arts. Women took  Home Ec, and typing and
>> dictation.

Everybody took typing, but only girls took shorthand.  I was really good at
writing it but couldn't read it worth a damn.

>      It was pretty much the same in the 1950s, when I was in high school.

Likewise, but in junior high everybody took two different electives each
semester, and everybody was required to take shop and home ec.  I made learned
to set type and made some business cards, learned to use a jigsaw and made a
wooden address board, learned to make white sauce and a fluffy omelet (both
ghastly) and hem a skirt.  I don't know what the boys learned to do in home ec,
the classes were segregated.  Maybe they just ate the white sauce and omelets,
although the would have had to spit both out when the teacher wasn't looking.

We were also segregated for 'health' class;  The girls had to watch the 'Now
you are a woman' movie several times.  I don't know what the boys had to watch.

--
Cheers, Bev
_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_

Re: Last Post That I See

The Real Bev
BJ wrote:

> David McRitchie wrote:
>> "Phillip Jones"
>>> And the women looked after the house. and used typing skills to help
>>> them catch a man to marry.
>>
>> "Sally Jean,  done caught herself a fell'r  cause of her
>> typing skills".      hogwash
>
> I can't speak for Phillip, but I assume what he meant was that Sally
> Jean, gap-toothed though she may have been, was able to secure
> employment because of her typing skills and thus attracted a freeloader
> who had no income.
>
> If that's not what he meant, rather that Sally Jean was attractive just
> because she had typing skills . . . then I do indeed agree with you . .
> . it's either hogwash or else those boys also fell in love with sheep.

Sheep can't type.  Well, not well, anyway.

--
Cheers, Bev
_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_

David McRitchie wrote:
> "Phillip Jones"
>> And the women looked after the house. and used typing skills to help
>> them catch a man to marry.
>
> "Sally Jean,  done caught herself a fell'r  cause of her
> typing skills".      hogwash
The theory was she learn typing, go to work for some business, and
possible strike up a romance in the office with the Boss (if un attached
or some other person making good money. It was a means to an end.
  It was ingrained in women of the day before flower Power and womens
lib. That womens job was to eventually catch a man and let him provide
the income. We have to remember we Are talking 50/60 years ago. Not today.

The Real Bev wrote:

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>
>> *-* On Fri, 07 Aug 2009, at 22:45:51 -0400,
>> *-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
>> *-* Phillip Jones wrote
>> *-* About Re: Last Post That I See

>>      Incidentally, he hasn't been completely silent.  He's done some
>> posting on secnews and in m.s.thunderbird during that time.

>>>  I thought I was the only one that hunt and peck.
>>
>>      You're not alone.  I'm a two-finger hunt-and-peck typist.
>>
>>>                                                   Back when I was in
>>> high school it wasn't manly for a man to take touch typing.  Boys
>>> that did were consider Gay (only 1960's term was different). Back
>>> then unless you were college bound to work in your dad's business,
>>> you  boys took industrial arts. Women took  Home Ec, and typing and
>>> dictation.
>
> Everybody took typing, but only girls took shorthand.  I was really good
> at writing it but couldn't read it worth a damn.
>
>>      It was pretty much the same in the 1950s, when I was in high school.
>
> Likewise, but in junior high everybody took two different electives each
> semester, and everybody was required to take shop and home ec.  I made
> learned to set type and made some business cards, learned to use a
> jigsaw and made a wooden address board, learned to make white sauce and
> a fluffy omelet (both ghastly) and hem a skirt.  I don't know what the
> boys learned to do in home ec, the classes were segregated.  Maybe they
> just ate the white sauce and omelets, although the would have had to
> spit both out when the teacher wasn't looking.
>
> We were also segregated for 'health' class;  The girls had to watch the
> 'Now you are a woman' movie several times.  I don't know what the boys
> had to watch.

We had to take electives in 8th Grade. Music and pottery as well as
electronics (which I took), woodworking, Auto mechanics. In music I was
flatly told never to darn the doors of the music room ever again by the
Teacher. She said, I could carry a tune in a bucket , and not to even
embarrass myself trying to sing hymns in church. Choir and Drama was
mostly the girls domain, along with with typing, stenography. Boys took
shop classes even those college bound.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.    "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Last Post That I See

squaredancer
On 08.08.2009 08:36, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ken Whiton to
generate the following:? :

> *-* On Fri, 07 Aug 2009, at 22:45:51 -0400,
> *-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
> *-* Phillip Jones wrote
> *-* About Re: Last Post That I See
>

>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>      Incidentally, he hasn't been completely silent.  He's done some
> posting on secnews and in m.s.thunderbird during that time.
>

>>> Good catch!  I don't touch type and have been having some eye
>>> problems lately, so I'm surprised this is the only (caught) goof.
>>>
>>  I thought I was the only one that hunt and peck.
>>

>      You're not alone.  I'm a two-finger hunt-and-peck typist.

my problem is that the keys on the keyboard NEVER have the same letter
under them more than twice in a row...
two-finger.search-and-hope...

reg
I've just sent my mini-spycamera down the glass-fiber connection, to
look at what Irwin is up to... not seeing my posts is almost an
insult... hmmmm, will have to report that to the cyber cops!