Language packs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
Anyone succeeded in using a language pack with 17.0.5ers or newer,
including SM and TB?
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Herwig Bauernfeind-2
Am 25.06.14 05:49, schrieb Dave Yeo:
> Anyone succeeded in using a language pack with 17.0.5ers or newer,
> including SM and TB?
> Dave

Did not try SM and TB yet, however all 17.0.x builds regardless whether
provided by us (bww) or by you, had any issue with using german language
pack - works (and always worked) as it should here.

Kind regards,
Herwig
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Herwig Bauernfeind-2
Am 25.06.14 08:56, schrieb Herwig Bauernfeind:
> Am 25.06.14 05:49, schrieb Dave Yeo:
>> Anyone succeeded in using a language pack with 17.0.5ers or newer,
>> including SM and TB?
>> Dave
>
> Did not try SM and TB yet, however all 17.0.x builds regardless whether
> provided by us (bww) or by you, had any issue with using german language
> pack - works (and always worked) as it should here.

Sorry, that was a bit misleading - I meant to say, that I did not have
any issue with the german language pack in any 17.0x build.

Kind regards,
Herwig

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:

> Am 25.06.14 08:56, schrieb Herwig Bauernfeind:
>> Am 25.06.14 05:49, schrieb Dave Yeo:
>>> Anyone succeeded in using a language pack with 17.0.5ers or newer,
>>> including SM and TB?
>>> Dave
>>
>> Did not try SM and TB yet, however all 17.0.x builds regardless whether
>> provided by us (bww) or by you, had any issue with using german language
>> pack - works (and always worked) as it should here.
>
> Sorry, that was a bit misleading - I meant to say, that I did not have
> any issue with the german language pack in any 17.0x build.
>

How did you install?
Someone complained about the Dutch language packs not working and all
the experimenting I've done I haven't got any working besides the spell
checker.
I downloaded
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/17.0.5esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi 
and drag & dropped it on Firefox 17 (.0.5, .0.11 act the same) and while
it seemed to install, all menus etc were still in English
Same with 24.3.0 with the correct xpi.
Firefox 17.0.11 didn't accept the 17.0.11 language packs claiming they
were incompatible, even after I rebuilt with official branding. Does
accept the older ones though.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Lars Erdmann
Dave Yeo schrieb:

> Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
>> Am 25.06.14 08:56, schrieb Herwig Bauernfeind:
>>> Am 25.06.14 05:49, schrieb Dave Yeo:
>>>> Anyone succeeded in using a language pack with 17.0.5ers or newer,
>>>> including SM and TB?
>>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Did not try SM and TB yet, however all 17.0.x builds regardless whether
>>> provided by us (bww) or by you, had any issue with using german language
>>> pack - works (and always worked) as it should here.
>>
>> Sorry, that was a bit misleading - I meant to say, that I did not have
>> any issue with the german language pack in any 17.0x build.
>>
>
> How did you install?
> Someone complained about the Dutch language packs not working and all
> the experimenting I've done I haven't got any working besides the spell
> checker.
> I downloaded
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/17.0.5esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi
> and drag & dropped it on Firefox 17 (.0.5, .0.11 act the same) and while
> it seemed to install, all menus etc were still in English
> Same with 24.3.0 with the correct xpi.
> Firefox 17.0.11 didn't accept the 17.0.11 language packs claiming they
> were incompatible, even after I rebuilt with official branding. Does
> accept the older ones though.
> Dave
>
Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox 24.3.0 ?
At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
version.

Lars
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox 24.3.0 ?
> At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
> version.

I experiment with
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/24.3.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi 
which seemed to install fine
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Lars Erdmann
In reply to this post by Lars Erdmann
Dave Yeo schrieb:
> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox 24.3.0 ?
>> At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
>> version.
>
> I experiment with
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/24.3.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi
> which seemed to install fine
> Dave
It installs fine. But that's about it. All my Firefox Menu entries are
still in english. And I cannot find any way to change that.

Lars
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Lars Erdmann
Lars Erdmann schrieb:

> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox 24.3.0 ?
>>> At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
>>> version.
>>
>> I experiment with
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/24.3.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi
>>
>> which seemed to install fine
>> Dave
> It installs fine. But that's about it. All my Firefox Menu entries are
> still in english. And I cannot find any way to change that.
>
> Lars

See here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/deutsch-de-language-pack/?src=api

You will notice that the installation of the language pack is blocked
for Firefox 24.3.0



Lars
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Lars Erdmann
Lars Erdmann wrote:

> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox 24.3.0 ?
>>> At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
>>> version.
>>
>> I experiment with
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/24.3.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi
>>
>> which seemed to install fine
>> Dave
> It installs fine. But that's about it. All my Firefox Menu entries are
> still in english. And I cannot find any way to change that.
>
> Lars

That's my experience as well. Have to wait for Herwig to comment
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Lars Erdmann
Lars Erdmann wrote:

> Lars Erdmann schrieb:
>> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>>> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox
>>>> 24.3.0 ?
>>>> At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
>>>> version.
>>>
>>> I experiment with
>>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/24.3.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi
>>>
>>>
>>> which seemed to install fine
>>> Dave
>> It installs fine. But that's about it. All my Firefox Menu entries are
>> still in english. And I cannot find any way to change that.
>>
>> Lars
>
> See here:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/deutsch-de-language-pack/?src=api
>
>
> You will notice that the installation of the language pack is blocked
> for Firefox 24.3.0

Yes, I noticed that. I downloaded
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/227956/deutsch_de_language_pack-24.0-fx.xpi?src=version-history 
and edited install.rdf (it's a zip file) and changed em:version to 24.3
and same with em:minVersion and it installed. Still no change to the
menus etc
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Dave Yeo escribió:
> Lars Erdmann wrote:
>> Lars Erdmann schrieb:
>>> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>>>> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>>>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox
>>>>> 24.3.0 ?
[...]
>  I downloaded
> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/227956/deutsch_de_language_pack-24.0-fx.xpi?src=version-history
> and edited install.rdf (it's a zip file) and changed em:version to 24.3 and
> same with em:minVersion and it installed. Still no change to the menus etc

IIRC FireFox is supposed to work like that, hence
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/locale-switcher/

Best regards,
A.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

> Dave Yeo escribió:
>> Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>> Lars Erdmann schrieb:
>>>> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>>>>> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>>>>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox
>>>>>> 24.3.0 ?
> [...]
>>  I downloaded
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/227956/deutsch_de_language_pack-24.0-fx.xpi?src=version-history
>>
>> and edited install.rdf (it's a zip file) and changed em:version to
>> 24.3 and
>> same with em:minVersion and it installed. Still no change to the menus
>> etc
>
> IIRC FireFox is supposed to work like that, hence
> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/locale-switcher/

OK, that works. Thanks
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Alex Taylor
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 17:24:26 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I noticed that. I downloaded
> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/227956/deutsch_de_language_pack-24.0-fx.xpi?src=version-history 
> and edited install.rdf (it's a zip file) and changed em:version to 24.3
> and same with em:minVersion and it installed. Still no change to the
> menus etc

Is it possible that changing this preference (e.g. in prefs.js or whatever it's
now called) might help?

  pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 15);
  --> pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 2);


--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Alex Taylor escribió:

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 17:24:26 UTC, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Yes, I noticed that. I downloaded
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/227956/deutsch_de_language_pack-24.0-fx.xpi?src=version-history
>> and edited install.rdf (it's a zip file) and changed em:version to 24.3
>> and same with em:minVersion and it installed. Still no change to the
>> menus etc
>
> Is it possible that changing this preference (e.g. in prefs.js or whatever it's
> now called) might help?
>
>    pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 15);
>    -->  pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 2);

International FX/TB versions used to have (or could be produced by having)

pref("general.useragent.locale", "de-DE"); (or whatever language)

set in their omni.jar!/defaults/pref/firefox-l10n.js once the language files
were included / installed,

so I'd look for a similar pref within the profile / have a look at
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/locale-switcher/ internals.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Herwig Bauernfeind-2
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Am 28.06.14 19:19, schrieb Dave Yeo:

> Lars Erdmann wrote:
>> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>>> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox
>>>> 24.3.0 ?
>>>> At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
>>>> version.
>>>
>>> I experiment with
>>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/24.3.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi
>>>
>>>
>>> which seemed to install fine
>>> Dave
>> It installs fine. But that's about it. All my Firefox Menu entries are
>> still in english. And I cannot find any way to change that.
>>
>> Lars
>
> That's my experience as well. Have to wait for Herwig to comment

Sorry, folks, I forgot, you need one of the locale switcher addons,
https://www.google.at/search?q=locale+switcher&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de-AT:official&client=firefox-a&gfe_rd=cr&ei=U6uzU8PnKqLe8geyiICgDQ

Alternatively there's a commandline switch, which I cannot remember
right now as I am always using one of the first 2 addons.

Kind regards,
Herwig

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:

> Am 28.06.14 19:19, schrieb Dave Yeo:
>> Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>>>> On 06/27/14 11:46 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
>>>>> Can you enlighten us where you find a language pack for Firefox
>>>>> 24.3.0 ?
>>>>> At least for german, there does not exist a language pack for this FF
>>>>> version.
>>>>
>>>> I experiment with
>>>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/24.3.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> which seemed to install fine
>>>> Dave
>>> It installs fine. But that's about it. All my Firefox Menu entries are
>>> still in english. And I cannot find any way to change that.
>>>
>>> Lars
>>
>> That's my experience as well. Have to wait for Herwig to comment
>
> Sorry, folks, I forgot, you need one of the locale switcher addons,
> https://www.google.at/search?q=locale+switcher&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de-AT:official&client=firefox-a&gfe_rd=cr&ei=U6uzU8PnKqLe8geyiICgDQ

Yes Alfredo pointed that out. It's just more dumbing down.

>
> Alternatively there's a commandline switch, which I cannot remember
> right now as I am always using one of the first 2 addons.
>

Firefox -help says
-UILocale <locale> Start with <locale> resources as UI Locale.
Notice these other additions, wonder what they do exactly.
-recording <file>  Record drawing for a given URL.
-recording-output <file> Specify destination file for a drawing recording.
Dave


_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language packs

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

> Alex Taylor escribió:
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 17:24:26 UTC, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I noticed that. I downloaded
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/227956/deutsch_de_language_pack-24.0-fx.xpi?src=version-history
>>>
>>> and edited install.rdf (it's a zip file) and changed em:version to 24.3
>>> and same with em:minVersion and it installed. Still no change to the
>>> menus etc
>>
>> Is it possible that changing this preference (e.g. in prefs.js or
>> whatever it's
>> now called) might help?
>>
>>    pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 15);
>>    -->  pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 2);
>
> International FX/TB versions used to have (or could be produced by having)
>
> pref("general.useragent.locale", "de-DE"); (or whatever language)
>
> set in their omni.jar!/defaults/pref/firefox-l10n.js once the language
> files were included / installed,
>
> so I'd look for a similar pref within the profile / have a look at
> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/locale-switcher/ internals.

There's actually a command line option to set the locale,
-UILocale <locale> Start with <locale> resources as UI Locale.
which probably changes a pref. I just haven't had the motivation to look
as personally all I need is a dictionary with correct spelling for my
locale.
Alex is talking about a slightly different issue, namely the language
packs not installing due to version issues and once again I haven't been
motivated to check his suggestion out. Sometimes I feel like playing
with this stuff and other times not.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Possible answer? (Re: Language packs)

Alex Taylor
I noticed the problem with installing a language pack when I tried to do that
with Japanese and Dave's 17.0.11esr build over the weekend.

I think I may have an idea what the problem is.  

First of all, the problem is that the addons manager reports that the language
pack is incompatible with this version of Firefox.

The language pack's install.rdf lists a numerical minVersion and maxVersion,
identifying the Firefox version range with which it is compatible.  In this
case, minVersion is 17.0.11 and maxVersion is 17.0.*.

Looking at the About box in Firefox, the reported Firefox version is
"17.0.11esr".

If I look at other versions of Firefox, e.g. 10.0.11esr, the reported version
string is "10.0.11" -- no "esr" appended to it.

I suspect this "esr" was added to the actual version number in these particular
builds by mistake, and this is breaking the version number
greater-than/less-than
comparison used by the language packs.

I tried changing the language pack's install.rdf to have
minVersion: 17.0.11esr
maxVersion: 17.0.11esr
so that it becomes an exact string match rather than a greater-than/less-than
check.  

And, now it works!

So, basically, I think having "esr" appended to the internal Firefox version
number is an error.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible answer? (Re: Language packs)

Dave Yeo-3
Alex Taylor wrote:

> I noticed the problem with installing a language pack when I tried to do that
> with Japanese and Dave's 17.0.11esr build over the weekend.
>
> I think I may have an idea what the problem is.
>
> First of all, the problem is that the addons manager reports that the language
> pack is incompatible with this version of Firefox.
>
> The language pack's install.rdf lists a numerical minVersion and maxVersion,
> identifying the Firefox version range with which it is compatible.  In this
> case, minVersion is 17.0.11 and maxVersion is 17.0.*.
>
> Looking at the About box in Firefox, the reported Firefox version is
> "17.0.11esr".
>
> If I look at other versions of Firefox, e.g. 10.0.11esr, the reported version
> string is "10.0.11" -- no "esr" appended to it.
>
> I suspect this "esr" was added to the actual version number in these particular
> builds by mistake, and this is breaking the version number
> greater-than/less-than
> comparison used by the language packs.
>
> I tried changing the language pack's install.rdf to have
> minVersion: 17.0.11esr
> maxVersion: 17.0.11esr
> so that it becomes an exact string match rather than a greater-than/less-than
> check.
>
> And, now it works!
>
> So, basically, I think having "esr" appended to the internal Firefox version
> number is an error.
>

I never changed version.txt (should have with TB) when building 17.0.11
and looking at
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-esr17/source/browser/config/version.txt?rev=41815a1bb5c3 
I see 17.0.11esrpre. Hmm, seems I may have removed the esr from 10.0.11
as mxr also shows it as 10.0.11esrpre. Strange they don't show the
release tag which is usually the only place without the pre.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2