Quantcast

LDAP C SDK: Problems running NS LDAP 606 apps on Win2k8

LDAP C SDK: Problems running NS LDAP 606 apps on Win2k8

Kartik-3
Hello,

On fetching the source from CVS and compiling on a WinXP/VS2005 SP1
box per instructions from https://wiki.mozilla.org/LDAP_C_SDK I have
seen several issues pertaining to side by side assemblies esp for VC
run-time libraries when executing simple applications on Windows 2008.

When trying to apply best guess MS patches (like MS 11-025) it says
these patches are not applicable to Windows 2008 and therefore do not
install.

1. How do I get VC runtime libraries to be statically linked to the
binaries from NS LDAP SDK (I have version 6.0.6 source) and NSS/NSPR?
2. The 606 source code always seems to give out debug binaries - How
do I get release mode binaries? Will that help resolve SxS problems?
3. Has anyone seen issues when running LDAP C SDK applications on
Windows 2008? If so, have you managed to solve the issues? If so, can
you suggest how?

Thanks in anticipation.

Re: LDAP C SDK: Problems running NS LDAP 606 apps on Win2k8

Mark Banner-4
On 20/12/2011 02:51, Kartik wrote:
> On fetching the source from CVS and compiling on a WinXP/VS2005 SP1
> box per instructions from https://wiki.mozilla.org/LDAP_C_SDK I have
> seen several issues pertaining to side by side assemblies esp for VC
> run-time libraries when executing simple applications on Windows 2008.

The documentation is a bit out of date but the news at the top of the
page isn't.

You want to be fetching the source from Mercurial:

http://hg.mozilla.org/projects/ldap-sdks/

(or downloading the source tarball)

> When trying to apply best guess MS patches (like MS 11-025) it says
> these patches are not applicable to Windows 2008 and therefore do not
> install.

I don't think this has anything to do with the LDAP c-sdk.

> 1. How do I get VC runtime libraries to be statically linked to the
> binaries from NS LDAP SDK (I have version 6.0.6 source) and NSS/NSPR?

Search the web for the command line options (I can't remember them atm)
and then look at what is being used by default probably in configure.in.

Note you are allowed to ship the runtime libraries, so that may be the
better option here (and allows them to be updated for security issues
later).

> 2. The 606 source code always seems to give out debug binaries - How
> do I get release mode binaries? Will that help resolve SxS problems?

Try the latest source from Mercurial, there's been various changes since
6.0.6.

Standard8

Re: LDAP C SDK: Problems running NS LDAP 606 apps on Win2k8

Kartik-3
Hello,

I have managed to get beyond the side-by-side assemblies issue by using BUILD_OPT=1 when building NSS.

While the crash does not occur anymore - the NS LDAP SDK still does not work on Windows 2008 saying ldapssl_init() failed with return code -1 (Unknown error)

Looking at the traces on the server side, it looks like there is no socket communication happening and the API call fails even before any communication takes place

Any insight on why this might be the case?