Killing talkback.

John Culleton-3
I have been using Firefox on my Linux Slack 10.1 system for some months
now. All of a sudden a window purporting to be from talkback popped up
and I couldn't get rid of it. The usual kill procedures didn't work.
The cancel button was grayed out.

I went to the firefox directory in /usr/lib and found the subdirectory
with talkback and deleted it. Then I went thorugh the pages of the
popup unil I found one that allowed me to disable it. I really didn't
want to do that becuse it could have been an exploit by a bad guy.

I am hoping that my system hasn't been compromised. I repeat, I did
nothing to ask for the talkback window. It just appeared.

Are there any other security measures I need to take? Are there
exploits that masquerade as a talkback window?

The whole thing smacks of MS-style big-brotherism.  I have Firefox 1.5

John Culleton

Re: Killing talkback.

Doug Kanter

"Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> I have been using Firefox on my Linux Slack 10.1 system for some months
>> now. All of a sudden a window purporting to be from talkback popped up
>> and I couldn't get rid of it. The usual kill procedures didn't work.
>> The cancel button was grayed out.
>>
>> I went to the firefox directory in /usr/lib and found the subdirectory
>> with talkback and deleted it. Then I went thorugh the pages of the
>> popup unil I found one that allowed me to disable it. I really didn't
>> want to do that becuse it could have been an exploit by a bad guy.
>>
>> I am hoping that my system hasn't been compromised. I repeat, I did
>> nothing to ask for the talkback window. It just appeared.
>>
>> Are there any other security measures I need to take? Are there
>> exploits that masquerade as a talkback window?
>>
>> The whole thing smacks of MS-style big-brotherism.  I have Firefox 1.5
>>
>> John Culleton
>>

> Here is a link that explains what Talkback is, and the value of such
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#talkback

How does Talkback know there's been a crash? If that's what invokes it, why
does it think John's Firefox has crashed? If it's based on the presence of a
file that's erased when Firefox is shut down normally, wouldn't erasing that
file solve the problem?

Re: Killing talkback.

John Culleton-3
OK so it's valuable. but why is the "cancel" button grayed out? Why
won't normal kill procedures get rid of it?

Even though I use Linux I treat any unrequested popup as a potential
exploit. If it occurs again I'll
have to find another browser, But I really like Firefox and have had no
trouble with it.

John C.

Re: Killing talkback.

Moz Champion (Dan)
Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>>[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using Firefox on my Linux Slack 10.1 system for some months
>>>now. All of a sudden a window purporting to be from talkback popped up
>>>and I couldn't get rid of it. The usual kill procedures didn't work.
>>>The cancel button was grayed out.
>>>
>>>I went to the firefox directory in /usr/lib and found the subdirectory
>>>with talkback and deleted it. Then I went thorugh the pages of the
>>>popup unil I found one that allowed me to disable it. I really didn't
>>>want to do that becuse it could have been an exploit by a bad guy.
>>>
>>>I am hoping that my system hasn't been compromised. I repeat, I did
>>>nothing to ask for the talkback window. It just appeared.
>>>
>>>Are there any other security measures I need to take? Are there
>>>exploits that masquerade as a talkback window?
>>>
>>>The whole thing smacks of MS-style big-brotherism.  I have Firefox 1.5
>>>
>>>John Culleton
>>>

>>Here is a link that explains what Talkback is, and the value of such
>>http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#talkback
>

> How does Talkback know there's been a crash? If that's what invokes it, why
> does it think John's Firefox has crashed? If it's based on the presence of a
> file that's erased when Firefox is shut down normally, wouldn't erasing that
> file solve the problem?

A 'crash' is assummed to occur when the program quits abnormally
There is no 'file' (aside from the talkboack report) for it to delete.

If you dont want Talkback, then turn it off.

Re: Killing talkback.

Moz Champion (Dan)
[hidden email] wrote:

> OK so it's valuable. but why is the "cancel" button grayed out? Why
> won't normal kill procedures get rid of it?
>
> Even though I use Linux I treat any unrequested popup as a potential
> exploit. If it occurs again I'll
> have to find another browser, But I really like Firefox and have had no
> trouble with it.
>
> John C.

I dont have any idea of the context of what you are speaking of.
I dont have the time to re-read each and every message in the thread
just to find out. I trust your questions get answered.

Re: Killing talkback.

Doug Kanter

"Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:[hidden email]...

>>>Here is a link that explains what Talkback is, and the value of such
>>>http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#talkback
>>

>> How does Talkback know there's been a crash? If that's what invokes it,
>> why does it think John's Firefox has crashed? If it's based on the
>> presence of a file that's erased when Firefox is shut down normally,
>> wouldn't erasing that file solve the problem?
>
> A 'crash' is assummed to occur when the program quits abnormally
> There is no 'file' (aside from the talkboack report) for it to delete.
>
> If you dont want Talkback, then turn it off.

The OP **seems** to be saying that it's running even though there hasn't
been an abnormal shutdown. That lead to my question about how Talkback knows
about an abnormal shutdown. While it's possible that it hears the user's
obscene language when the crash occurs, it's more likely that Talkback
detects the presence of some sort of temporary file that should've been
deleted upon a normal exit.

Re: Killing talkback.

Moz Champion (Dan)
Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>>Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>>"Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>>news:[hidden email]...

>>>How does Talkback know there's been a crash? If that's what invokes it,
>>>why does it think John's Firefox has crashed? If it's based on the
>>>presence of a file that's erased when Firefox is shut down normally,
>>>wouldn't erasing that file solve the problem?
>>
>>A 'crash' is assummed to occur when the program quits abnormally
>>There is no 'file' (aside from the talkboack report) for it to delete.
>>
>>If you dont want Talkback, then turn it off.
>

> The OP **seems** to be saying that it's running even though there hasn't
> been an abnormal shutdown. That lead to my question about how Talkback knows
> about an abnormal shutdown. While it's possible that it hears the user's
> obscene language when the crash occurs, it's more likely that Talkback
> detects the presence of some sort of temporary file that should've been
> deleted upon a normal exit.

From

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#talkback

How it works: A Talkback binary is packaged up with the Firefox browser
binary. When the browser crashes, the Talkback application is triggered
and it offers the user the option to participate.

Thats all it says, I have been unable to find more exact information on
how exactly Talkback detects a crash, but since its propiety code, I
doubt its listed anywhere

If you dont want Talkback, disable it

Re: Killing talkback.

Christian Biesinger
Doug Kanter wrote:
> it's more likely that Talkback
> detects the presence of some sort of temporary file that should've been
> deleted upon a normal exit.

I'd expect that it catches the SIGSEGV signal...

Re: Killing talkback.

CBFalconer
[hidden email] wrote:

> OK so it's valuable. but why is the "cancel" button grayed out?
> Why won't normal kill procedures get rid of it?
>
> Even though I use Linux I treat any unrequested popup as a
> potential exploit. If it occurs again I'll have to find another
> browser, But I really like Firefox and have had no trouble with
> it.

Without context your message is totally useless.  For a means of
using the broken google usenet interface correctly, see below.

  the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article.  Click on

Re: Killing talkback.

Doug Kanter

"Christian Biesinger" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> it's more likely that Talkback detects the presence of some sort of
>> temporary file that should've been deleted upon a normal exit.
>
> I'd expect that it catches the SIGSEGV signal...

Just for grins, can you translate that into something which might help the
OP solve his problem? You get 10 bonus points if you can do this, and a box
of fruit roll-ups.

Re: Killing talkback.

Christian Biesinger
Doug Kanter wrote:
> Just for grins, can you translate that into something which might help the
> OP solve his problem? You get 10 bonus points if you can do this, and a box
> of fruit roll-ups.

Unfortunately I have no idea why Talkback would pop up without a crashed
browser. Sorry.

Re: Killing talkback.

Ulvi Yurtsever
[hidden email] wrote in news:1136846888.442258.85650
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I am hoping that my system hasn't been compromised. I repeat, I did
> nothing to ask for the talkback window. It just appeared.

When you install Firefox, choose a custom install, and leave the Talkback
box unticked. I've never known the thing to work properly since the early
Netscape days.

Re: Killing talkback.

Doug Kanter

"Christian Biesinger" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> Just for grins, can you translate that into something which might help
>> the OP solve his problem? You get 10 bonus points if you can do this, and
>> a box of fruit roll-ups.
>
> Unfortunately I have no idea why Talkback would pop up without a crashed
> browser. Sorry.

This illustrates one of the problems with the open source concept. Someone
knows exactly what triggers Talkback. Good luck locating that person.

Re: Killing talkback.

Moz Champion (Dan)
Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Christian Biesinger" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>> Just for grins, can you translate that into something which might
>>> help the OP solve his problem? You get 10 bonus points if you can
>>> do this, and a box of fruit roll-ups.
>>
>> Unfortunately I have no idea why Talkback would pop up without a
>> crashed browser. Sorry.
>

> This illustrates one of the problems with the open source concept.
> Someone knows exactly what triggers Talkback. Good luck locating that
> person.

Good point, but wrong in this case. Talkback ISNT an open source product.
From
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/qfa.html
Quality Feedback Agent is a commercial program licensed to the Mozilla
Foundation by SupportSoft (formerly Full Circle Software).

Re: Killing talkback.

Doug Kanter

"Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Christian Biesinger" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:[hidden email]...

>>> Unfortunately I have no idea why Talkback would pop up without a
>>> crashed browser. Sorry.
>>

>> This illustrates one of the problems with the open source concept.
>> Someone knows exactly what triggers Talkback. Good luck locating that
>> person.
>>

> Good point, but wrong in this case. Talkback ISNT an open source product.
> From
> http://www.mozilla.org/quality/qfa.html
> Quality Feedback Agent is a commercial program licensed to the Mozilla
> Foundation by SupportSoft (formerly Full Circle Software).

That's nice, but someone involved with the programming of Moz/FF/Etc. *has*
to know what the trigger is. Talkback has to be told *which* software it's
supposed to monitor, and how to recognize when that software crashes.

Re: Killing talkback.

Ray Booysen
Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>> "Christian Biesinger" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> news:[hidden email]...

>>> This illustrates one of the problems with the open source concept.
>>> Someone knows exactly what triggers Talkback. Good luck locating that
>>> person.
>>>

>> Good point, but wrong in this case. Talkback ISNT an open source product.
>> From
>> http://www.mozilla.org/quality/qfa.html
>> Quality Feedback Agent is a commercial program licensed to the Mozilla
>> Foundation by SupportSoft (formerly Full Circle Software).
>>

> That's nice, but someone involved with the programming of Moz/FF/Etc. *has*
> to know what the trigger is. Talkback has to be told *which* software it's
> supposed to monitor, and how to recognize when that software crashes.

Turning into quite a troll, eh Doug?  If its broken, why not help
instead of producing this kind of text which helps nothing.  I am sure
there is someone who knows.  File a bug in bugzilla, ask in IRC.

--
Ray Booysen

Re: Killing talkback.

Doug Kanter

"Ray Booysen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:[hidden email]...

>>> Good point, but wrong in this case. Talkback ISNT an open source
>>> product.
>>> From
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/quality/qfa.html
>>> Quality Feedback Agent is a commercial program licensed to the Mozilla
>>> Foundation by SupportSoft (formerly Full Circle Software).
>>>

>> That's nice, but someone involved with the programming of Moz/FF/Etc.
>> *has* to know what the trigger is. Talkback has to be told *which*
>> software it's supposed to monitor, and how to recognize when that
>> software crashes.

> Turning into quite a troll, eh Doug?  If its broken, why not help instead
> of producing this kind of text which helps nothing.  I am sure there is
> someone who knows.  File a bug in bugzilla, ask in IRC.
>
> --
> Ray Booysen

Are you saying that when a user asks a question, it's considered trolling?
As far as "helping", I'm not a programmer. I'm a user. I seem to recall that
billboard space had been obtained (NYC, IIRC?) to draw attention to the
"need" to get more people to use Moz products. I think it's safe to assume
that the target audience was everyone who looked at the billboard, not just
people with the skills to "help".

If you also define "help" as filing a bug in Bugzilla, there are two reasons
I don't do that any more. First, the interface is not designed for users.
It's designed by and for programmers, and is an awful interface, very
annoying to use. Second, there are people in this NG who suggest in various
ways that they have a direct line to those who actually work on the code,
and those people have said numerous times that the number of votes a bug
gets is in no way connected with the likelihood of it being fixed. The
bookmark search defects are proof of this.

Re: Killing talkback.

gwtc
Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Ray Booysen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>>Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>>"Moz Champion (Dan)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>>news:[hidden email]...

>>>That's nice, but someone involved with the programming of Moz/FF/Etc.
>>>*has* to know what the trigger is. Talkback has to be told *which*
>>>software it's supposed to monitor, and how to recognize when that
>>>software crashes.

>>Turning into quite a troll, eh Doug?  If its broken, why not help instead
>>of producing this kind of text which helps nothing.  I am sure there is
>>someone who knows.  File a bug in bugzilla, ask in IRC.
>>
>>--
>>Ray Booysen
>

> Are you saying that when a user asks a question, it's considered trolling?
> As far as "helping", I'm not a programmer. I'm a user. I seem to recall that
> billboard space had been obtained (NYC, IIRC?) to draw attention to the
> "need" to get more people to use Moz products. I think it's safe to assume
> that the target audience was everyone who looked at the billboard, not just
> people with the skills to "help".
>
> If you also define "help" as filing a bug in Bugzilla, there are two reasons
> I don't do that any more. First, the interface is not designed for users.
> It's designed by and for programmers, and is an awful interface, very
> annoying to use. Second, there are people in this NG who suggest in various
> ways that they have a direct line to those who actually work on the code,
> and those people have said numerous times that the number of votes a bug
> gets is in no way connected with the likelihood of it being fixed. The
> bookmark search defects are proof of this.

Here's a thought. Since none of the End User Supporters within this
newsgroup can help you, why don't you post in one of the developers
newsgroups and see what help you get there?

Re: Killing talkback.

Doug Kanter

"gwtc" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> "Ray Booysen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:[hidden email]...

>>>Turning into quite a troll, eh Doug?  If its broken, why not help instead
>>>of producing this kind of text which helps nothing.  I am sure there is
>>>someone who knows.  File a bug in bugzilla, ask in IRC.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ray Booysen
>>

>> Are you saying that when a user asks a question, it's considered
>> trolling? As far as "helping", I'm not a programmer. I'm a user. I seem
>> to recall that billboard space had been obtained (NYC, IIRC?) to draw
>> attention to the "need" to get more people to use Moz products. I think
>> it's safe to assume that the target audience was everyone who looked at
>> the billboard, not just people with the skills to "help".
>>
>> If you also define "help" as filing a bug in Bugzilla, there are two
>> reasons I don't do that any more. First, the interface is not designed
>> for users. It's designed by and for programmers, and is an awful
>> interface, very annoying to use. Second, there are people in this NG who
>> suggest in various ways that they have a direct line to those who
>> actually work on the code, and those people have said numerous times that
>> the number of votes a bug gets is in no way connected with the likelihood
>> of it being fixed. The bookmark search defects are proof of this.
> Here's a thought. Since none of the End User Supporters within this
> newsgroup can help you, why don't you post in one of the developers
> newsgroups and see what help you get there?

The OP has apparently given up on solving this problem, which was his.

Re: Killing talkback.

Jay Garcia
On 16.01.2006 09:06, Doug Kanter wrote:

> If you also define "help" as filing a bug in Bugzilla, there are two reasons
> I don't do that any more. First, the interface is not designed for users.
> It's designed by and for programmers, and is an awful interface, very
> annoying to use. Second, there are people in this NG who suggest in various
> ways that they have a direct line to those who actually work on the code,
> and those people have said numerous times that the number of votes a bug
> gets is in no way connected with the likelihood of it being fixed. The
> bookmark search defects are proof of this.

Use "Bugzilla Helper" at
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided> to file a
bug. Pretty straight forward and if my Wife can use then you have no
excuse!!  :-D

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org