Keyboard shortcuts

Rodolfo Medina
I wish to open via keyboard the menus File, Edit, View, Go etc. that are up
left Mozilla window, but don't manage to.

Please, someone so kind as to suggest how to do that.

Thanks for any help,
Rodolfo

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

jetjock
Rodolfo Medina wrote:
I wish to open via keyboard the menus File, Edit, View, Go etc. that are up
left Mozilla window, but don't manage to.

Please, someone so kind as to suggest how to do that.

Thanks for any help,
Rodolfo

You should see a small underscore under one letter of each of those words at top left.  If you use the "Alt" key plus the underscored letter you will get a drop down menu.  If you then hit the key corresponding to the underscored letter in the drop down menu,  that function will open.  Hope this helped!

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Rodolfo Medina

jetjock <[hidden email]> writes:

> You should see a small underscore under one letter
> of each of those words at top left.  If you use the "Alt" key plus the
> underscored letter you will get a drop down menu.  If you then hit the
> key corresponding to the underscored letter in the drop down menu,
> that function will open.  Hope this helped!

It did, thanks!  I couldn't find that within Mozilla help.

But now, suppose that I want to paste in Mozilla a web address that I copied
from a text file: `C-v' does not work for me.  How to achieve that?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Jordon-3
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> I wish to open via keyboard the menus File, Edit, View, Go etc. that are up
>> left Mozilla window, but don't manage to.
>

> jetjock <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> You should see a small underscore under one letter
>> of each of those words at top left.  If you use the "Alt" key plus the
>> underscored letter you will get a drop down menu.  If you then hit the
>> key corresponding to the underscored letter in the drop down menu,
>> that function will open.  Hope this helped!
>

> It did, thanks!  I couldn't find that within Mozilla help.
>
> But now, suppose that I want to paste in Mozilla a web address that I copied
> from a text file: `C-v' does not work for me.  How to achieve that?

Control-C copies, Control-V pastes. But you have to have the
address bar in FF in focus. Get there with an Alt-F, L (open
location).

--
Jordon

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Rodolfo Medina

Jordon <[hidden email]> writes:

> Control-C copies, Control-V pastes. But you have to have the address bar in
> FF in focus. Get there with an Alt-F, L (open location).

Thanks, but it does not seem to work: I copy some text from my text editor, and
C-V does not paste it.  C-V only works from Mozilla to Mozilla, not from text
editor to Mozilla.

Any other way?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Ron Hunter
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>>> But now, suppose that I want to paste in Mozilla a web address that I copied
>>> from a text file: `C-v' does not work for me.  How to achieve that?
>

> Jordon <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Control-C copies, Control-V pastes. But you have to have the address bar in
>> FF in focus. Get there with an Alt-F, L (open location).
>

> Thanks, but it does not seem to work: I copy some text from my text editor, and
> C-V does not paste it.  C-V only works from Mozilla to Mozilla, not from text
> editor to Mozilla.
>
> Any other way?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

I use that all the time here.  What text editor are you using, and what
text format?

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 8/19/2009 4:29 PM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>>> But now, suppose that I want to paste in Mozilla a web address that I copied
>>> from a text file: `C-v' does not work for me.  How to achieve that?
>

> Jordon<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> Control-C copies, Control-V pastes. But you have to have the address bar in
>> FF in focus. Get there with an Alt-F, L (open location).
>

> Thanks, but it does not seem to work: I copy some text from my text editor, and
> C-V does not paste it.  C-V only works from Mozilla to Mozilla, not from text
> editor to Mozilla.
>
> Any other way?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

Try Edit>>Copy in your text editor.

Irwin

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Ken Whiton
*-* On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, at 14:20:35 +0100,
*-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
*-* Rodolfo Medina wrote
*-* About Re: Keyboard shortcuts

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>>> I wish to open via keyboard the menus File, Edit, View, Go etc.
>>> that are up left Mozilla window, but don't manage to.
>
> jetjock <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> You should see a small underscore under one letter of each of those
>> words at top left.  If you use the "Alt" key plus the underscored
>> letter you will get a drop down menu.  If you then hit the key
>> corresponding to the underscored letter in the drop down menu, that
>> function will open.  Hope this helped!
>
> It did, thanks!  I couldn't find that within Mozilla help.

     That's because it's not a Mozilla function.  It's a function of
the operating system.  I see you're using Linux.  I know that is a
standard Windows function, and I think it also applies to Linux and
the Mac.

                                        Ken Whiton
--
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Rodolfo Medina

Irwin Greenwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> Try Edit>>Copy in your text editor.

Thanks, that works.

bye

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:40:07 PM , and on a
whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard:

> *-* On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, at 14:20:35 +0100,
> *-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
> *-* Rodolfo Medina wrote
> *-* About Re: Keyboard shortcuts

>> jetjock <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> You should see a small underscore under one letter of each of those
>>> words at top left.  If you use the "Alt" key plus the underscored
>>> letter you will get a drop down menu.  If you then hit the key
>>> corresponding to the underscored letter in the drop down menu, that
>>> function will open.  Hope this helped!
>> It did, thanks!  I couldn't find that within Mozilla help.
>
>      That's because it's not a Mozilla function.  It's a function of
> the operating system.  I see you're using Linux.  I know that is a
> standard Windows function, and I think it also applies to Linux and
> the Mac.
>
>                                         Ken Whiton

Not the same in Linux.

In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and
pressing your middle mouse button or mouse wheel will paste it.

If you have no middle button or mouse wheel, try pressing the left and
right buttons at the same time.

Mac uses Command instead of Control.

Terry R.

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The date and time was Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:40:07 PM , and on
> a whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard:
>
> > *-* On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, at 14:20:35 +0100,
> > *-* In Article
> > <[hidden email]>, *-*
> > Rodolfo Medina wrote *-* About Re: Keyboard shortcuts

> >> It did, thanks!  I couldn't find that within Mozilla help.
> >
> >      That's because it's not a Mozilla function.  It's a function of
> > the operating system.  I see you're using Linux.  I know that is a
> > standard Windows function, and I think it also applies to Linux and
> > the Mac.
>
> Not the same in Linux.
>
> In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and
> pressing your middle mouse button or mouse wheel will paste it.

That seems to be a complete non sequitur -- the question wasn't about
highlighting or copying/pasting text.

As the previous posters have said, the alt key works in GNU/Linux to
get to the menubar items.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Jordon-3
Terry R. wrote:
In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and
> pressing your middle mouse button or mouse wheel will paste it.
>
> If you have no middle button or mouse wheel, try pressing the left and
> right buttons at the same time.

Considering the subject line... I think he's trying to do
it without the mouse.

--
Jordon

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:58:08 PM , and on a
whim, Jordon pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
> In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and
>> pressing your middle mouse button or mouse wheel will paste it.
>>
>> If you have no middle button or mouse wheel, try pressing the left and
>> right buttons at the same time.
>
> Considering the subject line... I think he's trying to do
> it without the mouse.

Since there ISN'T a keyboard shortcut, which is usually a 2 key combo,
using the mouse would be faster then, unless speed isn't an issue with
the OP, and in that case why bother.  I use shortcuts when it saves time
from moving my hand to the mouse.

Terry R.

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Rodolfo Medina
Jordon <[hidden email]> writes:

> Terry R. wrote:
> In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and
>> pressing your middle mouse button or mouse wheel will paste it.
>>
>> If you have no middle button or mouse wheel, try pressing the left and right
>> buttons at the same time.
>
> Considering the subject line... I think he's trying to do
> it without the mouse.

In Emacs: C-w to copy text; then C-v in Mozilla to paste it.

Rodolfo

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Alex K.-4
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:58:08 PM , and on a
> whim, Jordon pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>> In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and
>>> pressing your middle mouse button or mouse wheel will paste it.
>>>
>>> If you have no middle button or mouse wheel, try pressing the left
>>> and right buttons at the same time.
>>
>> Considering the subject line... I think he's trying to do
>> it without the mouse.
>>

> Since there ISN'T a keyboard shortcut, which is usually a 2 key combo,
> using the mouse would be faster then, unless speed isn't an issue with
> the OP, and in that case why bother.  I use shortcuts when it saves time
> from moving my hand to the mouse.
>

> Terry R.

Although my Linux box is down at the moment, so I can't provide specific
examples, Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V most certainly do work in most of the programs I
use.

The only notable exception, that I'm aware of & can recall at the
moment, is the terminal window.  But then, those shortcuts don't work on
the Win terminal window, either.

With specific regard to FF & TB, these support pages, listing keyboard
shortcuts for each product, for each platform, specifically list Ctrl-C
& Ctrl-V for cut & paste, respectively:

FF: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Keyboard+shortcuts
TB: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard

As for the Gnome & KDE desktop environments, here are the respective
pages describing their built-in shortcuts:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-keyboard.html.en#standard-shortcuts
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/keys/shortcuts.html

As you can readily see, in both environments, Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V perform
their expected functions, as in Windows.

So, unless you are only working from the command line, I'm not sure what
the basis is, for your statement that there isn't a keyboard shortcut.

--
Alex K.

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Jordon-3
Terry R. wrote:

> Since there ISN'T a keyboard shortcut, which is usually a 2 key combo,
> using the mouse would be faster then, unless speed isn't an issue with
> the OP, and in that case why bother.  I use shortcuts when it saves time
> from moving my hand to the mouse.

 From the original message I sure got the impression
that he wants to avoid using the mouse. I realize
that the OP is using Linux but in Windows, in order
to copy some text in one program and paste it into
the address bar of FF I can...

Shift-end, control-c, alt-tab, alt-f L, control-v

in about 2 seconds and I don't have to worry about
getting the mouse exactly where it needs to be.

I could actually replace alt-f L, with control-w
if my screen wouldn't flip 90 degrees.

--
Jordon

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Bob Jamieson
Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, at 14:20:35 +0100,
> *-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
> *-* Rodolfo Medina wrote
> *-* About Re: Keyboard shortcuts

>> jetjock <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> You should see a small underscore under one letter of each of those
>>> words at top left.  If you use the "Alt" key plus the underscored
>>> letter you will get a drop down menu.  If you then hit the key
>>> corresponding to the underscored letter in the drop down menu, that
>>> function will open.  Hope this helped!
>> It did, thanks!  I couldn't find that within Mozilla help.
>
>      That's because it's not a Mozilla function.  It's a function of
> the operating system.  I see you're using Linux.  I know that is a
> standard Windows function, and I think it also applies to Linux and
> the Mac.
>
>                                         Ken Whiton

Yes, it works in Linux.

--
Bob Jamieson

To reply to me via email, remove all the NOSPAM's

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Bob Jamieson
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:58:08 PM , and on a
> whim, Jordon pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>> In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and
>>> pressing your middle mouse button or mouse wheel will paste it.
>
>>> If you have no middle button or mouse wheel, try pressing the left
>>> and right buttons at the same time.
>>
>> Considering the subject line... I think he's trying to do
>> it without the mouse.
>>

> Since there ISN'T a keyboard shortcut, which is usually a 2 key combo,
> using the mouse would be faster then, unless speed isn't an issue with
> the OP, and in that case why bother.  I use shortcuts when it saves time
> from moving my hand to the mouse.
>

> Terry R.

Another reason for using keyboard shortcuts, besides speed, is if the
mouse is erratic.  Many touchpads (laptops) in Linux are that way.

For example, my pointer is all over the screen, probably because of the
sensitivity to palm brushes . . . have tried gsynaptics, qsynaptics, and
Touchfreeze, but no joy with any of them.

So, if I really want to control things, like I am right now doing this
post, I disable the touchpad tap and rely on keyboard shortcuts (the
arrow keys right now, which really isn't a keyboard shortcut) to navigate.

For example, the "end" key takes me right to the bottom of a post
instead of tediously scrolling down with the touchpad.

External or wireless mice might be different than the touchpad . . .
don't know, haven't tried them.

Interesting how keyboard shortcuts seem like the more efficient way to
do things after you've used them for a while.

Is the same with the command line versus the GUI in Ubuntu.  Catching on
now, and I like the command line better than the GUI (never thought I'd
say that).

BJ

BTW, Terry, notice that my sig is now different from yours.  No longer
have to give you a footnote on it (grin).

Alex K. wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:58:08 PM , and on a
>> whim, Jordon pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> In Linux, highlighting the text will put it into the clipboard, and

>>> Considering the subject line... I think he's trying to do
>>> it without the mouse.
>>>

>> Since there ISN'T a keyboard shortcut, which is usually a 2 key combo,
>> using the mouse would be faster then, unless speed isn't an issue with
>> the OP, and in that case why bother.  I use shortcuts when it saves
>> time from moving my hand to the mouse.
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> Although my Linux box is down at the moment, so I can't provide specific
> examples, Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V most certainly do work in most of the programs I
> use.
>
> The only notable exception, that I'm aware of & can recall at the
> moment, is the terminal window.  But then, those shortcuts don't work on
> the Win terminal window, either.
>
> With specific regard to FF & TB, these support pages, listing keyboard
> shortcuts for each product, for each platform, specifically list Ctrl-C
> & Ctrl-V for cut & paste, respectively:
>
> FF: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Keyboard+shortcuts
> TB: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard
>
> As for the Gnome & KDE desktop environments, here are the respective
> pages describing their built-in shortcuts:
>
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-keyboard.html.en#standard-shortcuts
>
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/keys/shortcuts.html
>

> As you can readily see, in both environments, Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V perform
> their expected functions, as in Windows.
>
> So, unless you are only working from the command line, I'm not sure what
> the basis is, for your statement that there isn't a keyboard shortcut.

Echo.

My compliments on this post.

BJ

--
Bob Jamieson

To reply to me via email, remove all the NOSPAM's

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

clay-14
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> On 8/19/2009 4:29 PM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>>> it does not seem to work: I copy some text from my text editor, and C-V does
>>> not paste it.  C-V only works from Mozilla to Mozilla, not from text editor
>>> to Mozilla.
>

> Irwin Greenwald <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Try Edit>>Copy in your text editor.
>

> Thanks, that works.
>
> bye

In a bash shell, Ctrl+Shift+[c][v] copies and pastes. Might work in your
text editor?