Katrina Anniversary

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Katrina Anniversary

Jay Garcia
Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August 29,
2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US History.
It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on the
U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos, see
http://www.levees.org

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

The Real Bev
Jay Garcia wrote:

> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August 29,
> 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US History.
> It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on the
> U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos, see
> http://www.levees.org

I guess wishing you a happy holiday is out of the question then...

--
Cheers, Bev
===========================================================
An organizer for the "Million Agoraphobics March" expressed
disappointment in the turnout for last weekend's event.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Ron Hunter
In reply to this post by Jay Garcia
Jay Garcia wrote:
> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August 29,
> 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US History.
> It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on the
> U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos, see
> http://www.levees.org
>
Always someone trying to save a buck.  Good thing they didn't use that
approach on the Galveston seawall or Ike would have swept the island
clean, rather than just causing widespread destruction.  I visited
Galveston last month, and most of the damage has either been repaired,
or at least cleaned up.  Worst damage seems to be where the seawall
ended, and the killing of about half the trees on the island.  Some old
landmarks are just gone, and others are damaged beyond economical
repair, such as the Flagship Inn.  Pretty sad, but the recovery has been
better than in New Orleans, but then New Orleans is much larger, and the
levees still aren't fixed, so they are just another 'accident looking
for a time to happen'.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Daniel-257
In reply to this post by Jay Garcia
Jay Garcia wrote:
> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August 29,
> 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US History.
> It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on the
> U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos, see
> http://www.levees.org
>

Jay, the other day (Friday, I think) I posted the following in one of
the netscapeX.general groups on the Secnews server:-

Jay, one of the Australian Current Affairs programs last night had a
segment on New Orleans - four years on from Katrina.

Didn't give a good impression - Tourist part of town just presenting an
image for the Tourists - large sections of N O still awaiting
re-building, especially District/Ward/Section Nine, buildings still
standing deserted - Council declared several blocks of Units as
un-inhabitable, but no re-development and people either living in slums
or have not returned. The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
disliked so much

How is New Orleans going, in your impression, Jay??

Daniel

Any comments, Jay?

Daniel
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

squaredancer
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
On 30.08.2009 06:33, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>  
>> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August 29,
>> 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US History.
>> It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on the
>> U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos, see
>> http://www.levees.org
>>    
>
> I guess wishing you a happy holiday is out of the question then...
>
>  

yepp - and "Happy Aniversary" is also a no-no!

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Robert Blair-2
In reply to this post by Jay Garcia
On 8/29/2009 5:58 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August 29,
> 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US History.
> It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on the
> U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos, see
> http://www.levees.org
>

See my commentary at
<http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_KatrinaCanada.html>.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Go to Mozdev at <http://www.mozdev.org/> for quick access to
extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much
more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

»Q«
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
> now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
> disliked so much

He's done a terrible job (when he's done anything at all) and has no
support remaining, but he couldn't run again anyway due to term limits.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /
                                       against html e-mail        X
                                     <http://asciiribbon.org/>   / \
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Ken Whiton
In reply to this post by Robert Blair-2
*-* On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, at 07:55:41 -0700,
*-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
*-* David E. Ross wrote
*-* About Re: Katrina Anniversary

> On 8/29/2009 5:58 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August
>> 29, 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US
>> History. It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed
>> on the U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and
>> videos, see http://www.levees.org

> See my commentary at
> <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_KatrinaCanada.html>.

     Reading the opening lines of that commentary I was reminded of a
commentary by Canadian radio commentator Gordon Sinclair that
periodically makes the Internet rounds as though it were current, when
in fact it actually dates from June, 1973.  The commentary, as well as
some background information about it, can be read at:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/sinclair.asp

     Caveat: That site may try to open one or more pop-up windows.

                                        Ken Whiton
--
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Robert Blair-2
On 8/30/2009 8:05 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, at 07:55:41 -0700,
> *-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
> *-* David E. Ross wrote
> *-* About Re: Katrina Anniversary
>
>> On 8/29/2009 5:58 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August
>>> 29, 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US
>>> History. It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed
>>> on the U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and
>>> videos, see http://www.levees.org
>
>> See my commentary at
>> <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_KatrinaCanada.html>.
>
>      Reading the opening lines of that commentary I was reminded of a
> commentary by Canadian radio commentator Gordon Sinclair that
> periodically makes the Internet rounds as though it were current, when
> in fact it actually dates from June, 1973.  The commentary, as well as
> some background information about it, can be read at:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/sinclair.asp
>
>      Caveat: That site may try to open one or more pop-up windows.
>
>                                         Ken Whiton

Ah, yes.  I'm familiar with Sinclair's radio commentary.  I'm also
familiar not only with how some people claim it's recent news (despite
the fact that Sinclair died in 1984) but also on how it is sometimes
corrupted.  See my "Other Online Hoaxes" at
<http://www.rossde.com/frauds_n_hoaxes/hoaxes.html>, and scroll down
about 1/3 of the page to "A Canadian View".

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Go to Mozdev at <http://www.mozdev.org/> for quick access to
extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much
more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Daniel-257
In reply to this post by »Q«
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
>> now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
>> disliked so much
>
> He's done a terrible job (when he's done anything at all) and has no
> support remaining, but he couldn't run again anyway due to term limits.
>

What's that .... a limit of two terms as Mayor or something??

Daniel
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Ron Hunter
Daniel wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
>>> now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
>>> disliked so much
>> He's done a terrible job (when he's done anything at all) and has no
>> support remaining, but he couldn't run again anyway due to term limits.
>>
>
> What's that .... a limit of two terms as Mayor or something??
>
> Daniel
Probably better to allow reelection only once after each hurricane.  Grin.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Jay Garcia
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
On 29.08.2009 23:33, The Real Bev wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August
>> 29, 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US
>> History. It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on
>> the U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos,
>> see http://www.levees.org
>
> I guess wishing you a happy holiday is out of the question then...
>

Lost a duplex that I bought for my son to live in one side and a tenant
on the other side. Thanks to the breached floodwall on the 17th St
canal, we had 9 feet of water which covered ALL of the first level. The
U.S. Army COE isn't one of my favorites for sure. The disaster was far
from "natural". The "wind" did minor damage.

Also lost our summer home in Pass Christian, MS - 37 feet of water with
a roof peak only 28 feet from the ground. Easy math.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Jay Garcia
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
On 31.08.2009 07:27, Daniel wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
>>> now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
>>> disliked so much
>>
>> He's done a terrible job (when he's done anything at all) and has no
>> support remaining, but he couldn't run again anyway due to term limits.
>>
>
> What's that .... a limit of two terms as Mayor or something??
>
> Daniel

Two-Term-Limit .. correct. Probably the most arrogant and corrupt mayor
this city has ever seen.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Daniel-257
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 31.08.2009 07:27, Daniel wrote:
>
>  --- Original Message ---
>
>> »Q« wrote:
>>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>>> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
>>>> now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
>>>> disliked so much
>>>
>>> He's done a terrible job (when he's done anything at all) and has no
>>> support remaining, but he couldn't run again anyway due to term limits.
>>>
>>
>> What's that .... a limit of two terms as Mayor or something??
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Two-Term-Limit .. correct. Probably the most arrogant and corrupt mayor
> this city has ever seen.
>

Just out of interest, I'm guessing his property wasn't real messed up!!

Daniel
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

squaredancer
In reply to this post by Jay Garcia
On 01.09.2009 02:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :

> On 29.08.2009 23:33, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>   --- Original Message ---
>
>  
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>    
>>> Today, August 29th is the anniversary of hurricane Katrina - August
>>> 29, 2005. It was touted as the worst "natural disaster" ever in US
>>> History. It was far from a "natural" disaster but rather one blamed on
>>> the U.S.Army Core Of Engineers. For more on that subject and videos,
>>> see http://www.levees.org
>>>      
>> I guess wishing you a happy holiday is out of the question then...
>>
>>    
>
> Lost a duplex that I bought for my son to live in one side and a tenant
> on the other side. Thanks to the breached floodwall on the 17th St
> canal, we had 9 feet of water which covered ALL of the first level. The
> U.S. Army COE isn't one of my favorites for sure. The disaster was far
> from "natural". The "wind" did minor damage.
>
> Also lost our summer home in Pass Christian, MS - 37 feet of water with
> a roof peak only 28 feet from the ground. Easy math.
>
>  

see secnews general for the latest from Mad Brother, on the subject of
Mathematics!

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

jetjock
In reply to this post by Jay Garcia
Jay Garcia wrote:
On 31.08.2009 07:27, Daniel wrote:

 --- Original Message ---

»Q« wrote:
In <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="news:q-WdnRBqi93y3AfXnZ2dnUVZ_oignZ2d@mozilla.org"><news:q-WdnRBqi93y3AfXnZ2dnUVZ_oignZ2d@...>,
Daniel [hidden email] wrote:

The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
disliked so much

He's done a terrible job (when he's done anything at all) and has no
support remaining, but he couldn't run again anyway due to term limits.


What's that .... a limit of two terms as Mayor or something??

Daniel

Two-Term-Limit .. correct. Probably the most arrogant and corrupt mayor this city has ever seen.

Man, with the history of that city, that's really saying something! 

-- 

     >>>>>>>>>>jetjock<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Katrina Anniversary

Jay Garcia
On 01.09.2009 10:39, jetjock wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 31.08.2009 07:27, Daniel wrote:
>>
>>  --- Original Message ---
>>
>>> »Q« wrote:
>>>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>>>> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> The Mayor (Ray ???), who was a "hero" at the time,
>>>>> now he's not bothering to re-stand for election next year as he is
>>>>> disliked so much
>>>>
>>>> He's done a terrible job (when he's done anything at all) and has no
>>>> support remaining, but he couldn't run again anyway due to term limits.
>>>>
>>>
>>> What's that .... a limit of two terms as Mayor or something??
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Two-Term-Limit .. correct. Probably the most arrogant and corrupt mayor this
>> city has ever seen.
>>
> Man, with the history of that city, that's _*really*_ saying something!
>
> --
>
>      >>>>>>>>>>jetjock<<<<<<<<<<
>

He somehow "lost" all his emails, he was the only one. So, the city
council hired a technology company to find them. They found 18,000 that
were deliberately deleted. So, Nagin fired the company and hired another
one. ;-)

Guess he'll keep hiring and firing until he finds one that will take his
side.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general