Jay, is secnews stable??

Daniel-24
I know that the secnews.netscape.com groups have moved servers in the
last week or so, so I would like to know if they should be stable now,
Sunday evening AEST or late morning GMT.

When I reselected (for offline reading) the nine groups I frequent on
Secnews and then try to downloaded them, I'm asked if I want to
subscribe to netscape.communicator. If I select "NO", I suspect all the
downloading for offline reading stops, even those selected on this
news.mozilla.com server. If I select "YES", I'm then asked if I want to
subscribe to the next group, and on and on and on, through the nine
groups I have selected. I've given up after clicking "yes" for the
eightyith (80th) time.

When I do finally get some numbers against the groups, as an example,
the one current message in the netscape.communicator group is from
Vivian Peters, 06 March 2003.

Do I need to re-subscribe to the server to sort this out?? (My failing
memory tells me I had similar problems when the secnews license ran out
a couple of years ago, but i cannot remember how I fixed it!)

Daniel

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Jay Garcia
On 17.06.2007 05:09, Daniel wrote:

> I know that the secnews.netscape.com groups have moved servers in the
> last week or so, so I would like to know if they should be stable now,
> Sunday evening AEST or late morning GMT.
>
> When I reselected (for offline reading) the nine groups I frequent on
> Secnews and then try to downloaded them, I'm asked if I want to
> subscribe to netscape.communicator. If I select "NO", I suspect all the
> downloading for offline reading stops, even those selected on this
> news.mozilla.com server. If I select "YES", I'm then asked if I want to
> subscribe to the next group, and on and on and on, through the nine
> groups I have selected. I've given up after clicking "yes" for the
> eightyith (80th) time.
>
> When I do finally get some numbers against the groups, as an example,
> the one current message in the netscape.communicator group is from
> Vivian Peters, 06 March 2003.
>
> Do I need to re-subscribe to the server to sort this out?? (My failing
> memory tells me I had similar problems when the secnews license ran out
> a couple of years ago, but i cannot remember how I fixed it!)
>
> Daniel

Very stable. Best to uninstall and re-install the server, groups, etc.
Really the only thing that changed is the IP address and some long
overdue hardware maintenance. The cert was also renewed.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Michael Gordon
Jay Garcia created this reply On 6/17/2007 5:28 AM

> On 17.06.2007 05:09, Daniel wrote:

Hello Jay,

I uninstalled the secnews.netscape.com news account and reinstalled it
and I see several different newsgroups, but none relate to NTMM.
Netscape Test MultiMedia is not listed.

Any suggestions?

Michael

--
Armadillo Web Design
Opening your door of opportunity

Armadillo Web Design
www.armadilloweb.com

Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...

SeaMonkey
www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
The all in one browser, mail, and composer.
SeaMonkey the "All In One Internet Application Suite"

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Jay Garcia
On 17.06.2007 11:39, Michael Gordon wrote:

> Jay Garcia created this reply On 6/17/2007 5:28 AM
>> On 17.06.2007 05:09, Daniel wrote:

More than likely you're on port 119. The port is 563 with SSL enabled. ;-)

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

The Real Bev
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 17.06.2007 11:39, Michael Gordon wrote:
>> Jay Garcia created this reply On 6/17/2007 5:28 AM

>>> Very stable. Best to uninstall and re-install the server, groups, etc.
>>> Really the only thing that changed is the IP address and some long
>>> overdue hardware maintenance. The cert was also renewed.
>>
>> I uninstalled the secnews.netscape.com news account and reinstalled it
>> and I see several different newsgroups, but none relate to NTMM.
>> Netscape Test MultiMedia is not listed.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> More than likely you're on port 119. The port is 563 with SSL enabled. ;-)

Those were the settings I had before.  When the switch was made I could no
longer connect (TB just tried for several minutes before giving up).  I just
deleted the account and added it back in, but it still can't connect.  What
am I doing wrong?

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Jay Garcia
On 17.06.2007 12:33, The Real Bev wrote:

>> More than likely you're on port 119. The port is 563 with SSL enabled. ;-)
>
> Those were the settings I had before.  When the switch was made I could no
> longer connect (TB just tried for several minutes before giving up).  I just
> deleted the account and added it back in, but it still can't connect.  What
> am I doing wrong?

secnews.netscape.com port 563 "Use secure connection".

Hmmm, thought ... bzzzzzt .. since we changed IP you may have to
re-configure your firewall.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Michael Gordon
Jay Garcia created this reply On 6/17/2007 2:04 PM

> On 17.06.2007 12:33, The Real Bev wrote:

Jay,

The port is 563 and the SSL check box is enabled.  Turning off the
firewall (ZA) has no effect.  Now the only Secnews Netscape.Com
newsgroups listed are netscape.test.moderated and that can't be the
right one because the name of the newsgroup was not changed.

Michael

--
Armadillo Web Design
Opening your door of opportunity

Armadillo Web Design
www.armadilloweb.com

Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...

SeaMonkey
www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
The all in one browser, mail, and composer.
SeaMonkey the "All In One Internet Application Suite"

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Michael Gordon wrote:

> Jay Garcia created this reply On 6/17/2007 2:04 PM
>> On 17.06.2007 12:33, The Real Bev wrote:

I sure don't know what the problem is.  I connected with no changes to
anything.  It didn't even ask me if I wanted to subscribe.  It was like
as though nothing happened. And the ntmm IS there. There was lots of
posting on the 15th and the 16th.

Have you tried doing what Jay suggested to Daniel and remove the
account?  I would also take it one step further.  Remove all the left
over files.  Now try again.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup only.  And only
click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

The Real Bev
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 17.06.2007 12:33, The Real Bev wrote:

I don't have a firewall, just the router.  I don't think I ever knew the old
IP, it just worked.

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
The Real Bev wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> On 17.06.2007 12:33, The Real Bev wrote:

I didn't do anything differently.  Perhaps your DNS service is behind
the power curve?

telnet secnews.netscape.com 563
Trying 64.236.222.20...
Connected to secnews.netscape.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

--
Warp 7 -- It's a law we can live with.

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Michael Gordon
Michael Gordon created this reply On 6/17/2007 2:50 PM

> Jay Garcia created this reply On 6/17/2007 2:04 PM
>
>> On 17.06.2007 12:33, The Real Bev wrote:

Jay,

I have to give up on connecting to the old Netscape Test MultiMedia
newsgroup, for some unknown reason I cannot connect to the server to
even read the groups hosted there.

Michael

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 17.06.2007 05:09, Daniel wrote:

O.K., I guess I'll just delete the account and then re-subscribe through
ufaq.org.

I'll get back to you.

Daniel

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Jay Garcia
On 17.06.2007 21:03, Daniel wrote:

> O.K., I guess I'll just delete the account and then re-subscribe through
> ufaq.org.
>
> I'll get back to you.
>
> Daniel

Post your findings on the UFAQ Forum, thanks.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:

>>> secnews.netscape.com port 563 "Use secure connection".
>>>
>>> Hmmm, thought ... bzzzzzt .. since we changed IP you may have to
>>> re-configure your firewall.
>>
>> I don't have a firewall, just the router.  I don't think I ever knew the old
>> IP, it just worked.
>
> I didn't do anything differently.  Perhaps your DNS service is behind
> the power curve?
>
> telnet secnews.netscape.com 563
> Trying 64.236.222.20...
> Connected to secnews.netscape.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.

Exactly right. Tthe [presumably] old IP address was still there.  Called it
by number instead of name and then edited my hosts file and everything works
fine now.

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Daniel-24
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 17.06.2007 21:03, Daniel wrote:

Jay, I eventually found the secnews.netscape.com server at ufaq.org,
subscribed to ten or eleven groups, selected to download them,
downloaded them (500+ messages on the communicator group, 200+ on one of
the other groups, 20-30 on a couple of groups and about five newsgroups
had no messages to download at all).

I made sure I had read all the groups/messages before marking them all
read. Closed SM, switched computer off, switched computer back on,
started SM, and I have the secnews server listed, but no subscribed
groups, when I try to re-re-subscribe even refreshing the list only
shows four entries, control, junk, netscape and virtual, but after more
refreshing, still now newsgroups to be expanded into.

What have I done wrong? Why do I lose the listings of the newsgroups?

And what do you mean by "Post your findings on the UFAQ Forum"? I'm not
having a problem with any Forum, as far as I know, so which forum should
I ask in?? ('suppose I should have looked to see if there was a
general.general forum!)

Why are the secnews.netscape.com groups so difficult to find at ufaq.org?

Daniel wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 17.06.2007 21:03, Daniel wrote:

make sure you're using port 563 and ssl is checked

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 17.06.2007 21:03, Daniel wrote:

Thanks, Peter. They were both selected when I remade the account.

Daniel

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Daniel-24
Daniel wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

Just re-re-re-subscribed to the/my groups on secnews. Re-downloaded
them, again, and when I went to read them, I had to re-subscribe, again.
So, sadly, it looks like secnews is history, for me at least.

But I've still got news.mozilla.org!

Daniel

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 6/18/2007 5:22 PM, Daniel wrote:

> Just re-re-re-subscribed to the/my groups on secnews. Re-downloaded
> them, again, and when I went to read them, I had to re-subscribe, again.
> So, sadly, it looks like secnews is history, for me at least.
>
> But I've still got news.mozilla.org!
>
> Daniel

Have you tried config editor "security.enable_ssl2" and toggle to true?

--
Irwin

Re: Jay, is secnews stable??

Daniel-24
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 6/18/2007 5:22 PM, Daniel wrote:
>

>> Just re-re-re-subscribed to the/my groups on secnews. Re-downloaded
>> them, again, and when I went to read them, I had to re-subscribe,
>> again. So, sadly, it looks like secnews is history, for me at least.
>>
>> But I've still got news.mozilla.org!
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Have you tried config editor "security.enable_ssl2" and toggle to true?

No, Irwin, I haven't tried that, but I will. Tks.

Daniel