Quantcast

Java plugin phase out timeline

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

mattamarco88
Il giorno martedì 23 febbraio 2016 19:03:41 UTC+1, Java Dev ha scritto:

> Hello,
>
> Hope all is well. The company I work for uses Java applets for our web products and we are currently planning our release schedules to replace Java applet tech, as it will affect many users in our product community and several products. As such, our dev team would like to better understand the "drop dead date" of when the Java plugin will stop working in Firefox.
>
> We are aware that the announcement was for end of 2016, but wanted to confirm if there is a more specific date other than 12/31/2016. Also, we would like to know if Firefox will follow a similar path as Chrome to provide a way to still manually enable the Java plugin for some time (disabled by default), perhaps even past end of 2016.
>
> We want our users to use Firefox instead of other browsers, especially since we have had to run through some hoops to get our corporate clients to switch from IE to Firefox for our web applications. For some reason, some corporations are resistant to running browsers other than IE and it took some convincing on our part.
>
> Your response is greatly appreciated. We would prefer our user community still use Firefox and not switch to IE, while we are working through converting our web products to web based technology and away from the Java plugin. We are concerned that if they switch to IE again, while we work to replace Java applets, their IT departments might not approve going back again to Firefox.
>
> Best Regards,
> Alexandra
>
> P.S. If you are interested, more information about our company and products is available at www.7thonline.com.

Hi,
I have an applet the communicates with client serial ports using https://github.com/scream3r/java-simple-serial-connector, if I sign the the jar and I use Java Web Start the applet has the permissions to communicate.
The favorite browser of our clients is Firefox so I would re write the app.
In Chrome I solved with chrome app end extension using https://developer.chrome.com/apps/serial and it runs very well but in firefox there'is nothing like this.

My questions are:
1) something like chrome.serial in the future of firefox?
2) now what's the better solution?
3) What's the better moments to re write my app, considering the roadmap of Web Extension?

Thanks
Marco

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Benjamin Smedberg
At this point I don't think we have a plan to implement chrome.serial.
However, we are finishing up the implementation of native messaging (
https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/nativeMessaging) and it should be
relatively straightforward to build a serial-port bridge on top of native
messaging.

We'd also accept a webextensions implementation of chrome.serial if you
want to contribute it! I will happily introduce you to the webextensions
engineering team who can help with mentoring and reviews.

--BDS

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 8:06 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il giorno martedì 23 febbraio 2016 19:03:41 UTC+1, Java Dev ha scritto:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Hope all is well. The company I work for uses Java applets for our web
> products and we are currently planning our release schedules to replace
> Java applet tech, as it will affect many users in our product community and
> several products. As such, our dev team would like to better understand the
> "drop dead date" of when the Java plugin will stop working in Firefox.
> >
> > We are aware that the announcement was for end of 2016, but wanted to
> confirm if there is a more specific date other than 12/31/2016. Also, we
> would like to know if Firefox will follow a similar path as Chrome to
> provide a way to still manually enable the Java plugin for some time
> (disabled by default), perhaps even past end of 2016.
> >
> > We want our users to use Firefox instead of other browsers, especially
> since we have had to run through some hoops to get our corporate clients to
> switch from IE to Firefox for our web applications. For some reason, some
> corporations are resistant to running browsers other than IE and it took
> some convincing on our part.
> >
> > Your response is greatly appreciated. We would prefer our user community
> still use Firefox and not switch to IE, while we are working through
> converting our web products to web based technology and away from the Java
> plugin. We are concerned that if they switch to IE again, while we work to
> replace Java applets, their IT departments might not approve going back
> again to Firefox.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Alexandra
> >
> > P.S. If you are interested, more information about our company and
> products is available at www.7thonline.com.
>
> Hi,
> I have an applet the communicates with client serial ports using
> https://github.com/scream3r/java-simple-serial-connector, if I sign the
> the jar and I use Java Web Start the applet has the permissions to
> communicate.
> The favorite browser of our clients is Firefox so I would re write the app.
> In Chrome I solved with chrome app end extension using
> https://developer.chrome.com/apps/serial and it runs very well but in
> firefox there'is nothing like this.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) something like chrome.serial in the future of firefox?
> 2) now what's the better solution?
> 3) What's the better moments to re write my app, considering the roadmap
> of Web Extension?
>
> Thanks
> Marco

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Java Dev
On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:36:36 AM UTC-4, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> Actually Chris, my plan was to do this in Firefox 52, not wait for Firefox
> 53.
>
> --BDS

Thank you for the quick reply. Just to clarify, what is the scheduled release time frame/date for Firefox version 52 which would block all NPAPI plugins? Also, is it still the case that users who need NPAPI support can switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018?

Best Regards,
Alexandra

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:39:41 AM UTC-4, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Java Dev wrote:
>

> > Also, I have been puzzled about something else recently. Even if the NPAPI
> > plug-ins are allowed in Firefox ESR, how is the "plug-in black list" in
> > Firefox ESR handled? Would Java be blocked somehow in it? In other words,
> > is there a possibility that Java as a plug-in would be blocked in the
> > Firefox ESR "plug-in black list", even though NPAPI plug-in's as a whole
> > would still be allowed? And how likely is this to actually happen?
> > Appreciate your help with these questions.
>

> The purpose of the plugin blocklist is to keep users secure from
> known-vulnerable versions of various plugins.  We regularly add old
> versions of Flash and Java to the blocklist when security updates are
> released. We also periodically may add the *current* version of plugins to
> the blocklist if there are unpatched vulnerabilities which are being
> actively exploited in the wild.
>
> This is no different for ESR than normal release channels, and we will
> continue to maintain this blocklist for Java versions through the end of
> the supported ESR cycle.
>
> --BDS

Thank you for addressing this topic as well. When the non-ESR version that blocks all NPAPI plugins is released, it would not need a blocklist anymore. Therefore, the blocklist would be used only by the ESR version while NPAPI plugins are still allowed for it. Is this correct? As such, is it possible to keep, at a minimum, the latest updates of Java available (not blocked) so that users can continue using Java with the ESR version while it still supports NPAPI plugins?

Best Regards,
Alexandra

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Java Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for addressing this topic as well. When the non-ESR version that
> blocks all NPAPI plugins is released, it would not need a blocklist
> anymore. Therefore, the blocklist would be used only by the ESR version
> while NPAPI plugins are still allowed for it. Is this correct?

That is correct.

--BDS

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Benjamin Smedberg
The Firefox release calendar can be found at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

--BDS

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Java Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:36:36 AM UTC-4, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> > Actually Chris, my plan was to do this in Firefox 52, not wait for
> Firefox
> > 53.
> >
> > --BDS
> >

> Thank you for the quick reply. Just to clarify, what is the scheduled
> release time frame/date for Firefox version 52 which would block all NPAPI
> plugins? Also, is it still the case that users who need NPAPI support can
> switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018?
>

> Best Regards,
> Alexandra

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Suril Patel
Hi Benjamin (or other associate),

I am trying to follow, but I think I am a little confused by the latest
exchange.  We use an NPAPI plugin for Video conferencing, as part of very
large (millions) consumer facing organization.

Per what I understood previously, Version 52, will Beta Release on Jan 23
or Jan 24.  The actual general release date - I don't see it, but I am
curious.

1)  Will v52 - releasing in Q1 - by default blacklist all NPAPI plugins?
2)  Thus, the user if he wishes to use an NPAPI plugin, he will have to
manually go somewhere to "enable" or "whitelist" plugins individually or is
it a setting for all?  Any insights here are helpful.
3)  What is general release date for v52?
4)  I assume v53, which is April 2017 will completely disable NPAPI, with
no manual override.

I want to clarify - in our case, ESR versions are not part of the picture -
as our audience is millions of consumers, who will follow the general
release sequence of Firefox, with Auto-update (as an example, I am one of
them, who recently got upgraded to v47).

Thanks

Suril

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The Firefox release calendar can be found at
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
>
> --BDS
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Java Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:36:36 AM UTC-4, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> > > Actually Chris, my plan was to do this in Firefox 52, not wait for
> > Firefox
> > > 53.
> > >
> > > --BDS
> > >

> > Thank you for the quick reply. Just to clarify, what is the scheduled
> > release time frame/date for Firefox version 52 which would block all
> NPAPI
> > plugins? Also, is it still the case that users who need NPAPI support can
> > switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018?
> >

> > Best Regards,
> > Alexandra

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Chris Peterson-12
I believe Firefox 52 will completely disable NPAPI without any manual
pref override or whitelist (except for Flash).

The Firefox 52 release is planned for March 7, 2017. I updated the
release calendar wiki:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar#Future_branch_dates

What is the NPAPI plugin that your organization uses for video
conferencing? Google Hangouts? Does your organization have a solution
for Chrome or Edge? They don't support NPAPI plugins.

chris

On 7/18/16 2:06 PM, Suril Patel wrote:

> Hi Benjamin (or other associate),
>
> I am trying to follow, but I think I am a little confused by the latest
> exchange.  We use an NPAPI plugin for Video conferencing, as part of very
> large (millions) consumer facing organization.
>
> Per what I understood previously, Version 52, will Beta Release on Jan 23
> or Jan 24.  The actual general release date - I don't see it, but I am
> curious.
>
> 1)  Will v52 - releasing in Q1 - by default blacklist all NPAPI plugins?
> 2)  Thus, the user if he wishes to use an NPAPI plugin, he will have to
> manually go somewhere to "enable" or "whitelist" plugins individually or is
> it a setting for all?  Any insights here are helpful.
> 3)  What is general release date for v52?
> 4)  I assume v53, which is April 2017 will completely disable NPAPI, with
> no manual override.
>
> I want to clarify - in our case, ESR versions are not part of the picture -
> as our audience is millions of consumers, who will follow the general
> release sequence of Firefox, with Auto-update (as an example, I am one of
> them, who recently got upgraded to v47).
>

> Thanks
>
> Suril
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The Firefox release calendar can be found at
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
>>
>> --BDS

>>> Firefox

>>> Thank you for the quick reply. Just to clarify, what is the scheduled
>>> release time frame/date for Firefox version 52 which would block all
>> NPAPI
>>> plugins? Also, is it still the case that users who need NPAPI support can
>>> switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018?
>>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>> Alexandra

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Suril Patel
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your prompt response.  We use Vidyo, Inc. plugin, called
VidyoWeb.

In Chrome, they have a browser extension.  For Safari, IE, and FF, we
execute NPAPI code - based on browser detection.  Edge - we detect and tell
the customer to switch browsers :)  This is less than ideal, but WebRTC
does not meet some of our needs - and we see very good video quality at
lower bandwidths using this tech stack.

In any case, we really want to understand the plans and align ourselves.
This is a healthcare use case (I guess I could correspond officially from
my corporate email), with some of our population being the elderly - so we
want things to be easy.

So looking at what you shared - effective March 7th, the patients who's FF
automatically updates would not be able to sign in.

1)  Is there a transitional version planned prior to that, where upon
update - all plugins default to a blacklist?  In other words, is there
suppose a v51 - where upon update, VidyoWeb gets blacklisted and we need to
send out instructions to patients to unblock or whitelist VidyoWeb?   (We
are investigating a long term solution that is not dependent on NPAPI - but
I just want to understand, in case management wants keep the NPAPI track
open until the end - how we can manage messaging to users on the site and
appropriately detect the browser to handle the various scenarios here)

Thanks

Suril

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I believe Firefox 52 will completely disable NPAPI without any manual pref
> override or whitelist (except for Flash).
>
> The Firefox 52 release is planned for March 7, 2017. I updated the release
> calendar wiki:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar#Future_branch_dates
>
> What is the NPAPI plugin that your organization uses for video
> conferencing? Google Hangouts? Does your organization have a solution for
> Chrome or Edge? They don't support NPAPI plugins.
>

> chris
>

> On 7/18/16 2:06 PM, Suril Patel wrote:
>
>> Hi Benjamin (or other associate),
>>
>> I am trying to follow, but I think I am a little confused by the latest
>> exchange.  We use an NPAPI plugin for Video conferencing, as part of very
>> large (millions) consumer facing organization.
>>
>> Per what I understood previously, Version 52, will Beta Release on Jan 23
>> or Jan 24.  The actual general release date - I don't see it, but I am
>> curious.
>>
>> 1)  Will v52 - releasing in Q1 - by default blacklist all NPAPI plugins?
>> 2)  Thus, the user if he wishes to use an NPAPI plugin, he will have to
>> manually go somewhere to "enable" or "whitelist" plugins individually or
>> is
>> it a setting for all?  Any insights here are helpful.
>> 3)  What is general release date for v52?
>> 4)  I assume v53, which is April 2017 will completely disable NPAPI, with
>> no manual override.
>>
>> I want to clarify - in our case, ESR versions are not part of the picture
>> -
>> as our audience is millions of consumers, who will follow the general
>> release sequence of Firefox, with Auto-update (as an example, I am one of
>> them, who recently got upgraded to v47).
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Suril
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> The Firefox release calendar can be found at
>>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
>>>
>>> --BDS

>>> NPAPI

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Chris Peterson-12
hi Suril, Vidyo recently announced a plugin-free, WebRTC version of
VidyoWeb for Firefox and Chrome:

http://www.vidyo.com/company/news-and-events/press-releases/vidyo-delivers-webrtc/

http://www.vidyo.com/products/use/

Mozilla uses Vidyo internally. I have not personally tried the new
WebRTC client, but Mozilla's IT department is testing it and preparing
to deploy it within Mozilla. I usually use the VidyoDesktop standalone
client, but will switch to WebRTC when I have the chance.

chris

On 7/18/16 3:54 PM, Suril Patel wrote:

> [...]
>>> manually go somewhere to "enable" or "whitelist" plugins individually or
>>> is
>>> it a setting for all?  Any insights here are helpful.
>>> 3)  What is general release date for v52?
>>> 4)  I assume v53, which is April 2017 will completely disable NPAPI, with
>>> no manual override.
>>>
>>> I want to clarify - in our case, ESR versions are not part of the picture
>>> -
>>> as our audience is millions of consumers, who will follow the general
>>> release sequence of Firefox, with Auto-update (as an example, I am one of
>>> them, who recently got upgraded to v47).
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Suril
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]
>>>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Firefox release calendar can be found at

Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question:

On 7/18/16 3:54 PM, Suril Patel wrote:

> So looking at what you shared - effective March 7th, the patients who's FF
> automatically updates would not be able to sign in.
>
> 1)  Is there a transitional version planned prior to that, where upon
> update - all plugins default to a blacklist?  In other words, is there
> suppose a v51 - where upon update, VidyoWeb gets blacklisted and we need to
> send out instructions to patients to unblock or whitelist VidyoWeb?   (We
> are investigating a long term solution that is not dependent on NPAPI - but
> I just want to understand, in case management wants keep the NPAPI track
> open until the end - how we can manage messaging to users on the site and
> appropriately detect the browser to handle the various scenarios here)

As far as I understand, there will not be a transitional Firefox release
that blacklists plugins by default. The plan is to support all plugins
in 51 and then remove them in 52.

If Mozilla does remove NPAPI in Firefox 52 (and WebRTC VidyoWeb is not
an option), you could ask Firefox users to stick with Firefox 51, but
that workaround is probably no simpler than asking them to install
Firefox ESR. The simplest solution would probably be to recommend they
log into Chrome for video conferencing.

btw, if you find problems with VidyoWeb's WebRTC in Firefox that do not
affect Chrome, please let us/me know! We want to make sure that option
works seamlessly for everyone.

chris

Il giorno martedì 5 luglio 2016 19:07:02 UTC+2, Benjamin Smedberg ha scritto:

> [...]
> > > Alexandra
> > >
> > > P.S. If you are interested, more information about our company and
> > products is available at www.7thonline.com.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have an applet the communicates with client serial ports using
> > https://github.com/scream3r/java-simple-serial-connector, if I sign the
> > the jar and I use Java Web Start the applet has the permissions to
> > communicate.
> > The favorite browser of our clients is Firefox so I would re write the app.
> > In Chrome I solved with chrome app end extension using
> > https://developer.chrome.com/apps/serial and it runs very well but in
> > firefox there'is nothing like this.
> >
> > My questions are:
> > 1) something like chrome.serial in the future of firefox?
> > 2) now what's the better solution?
> > 3) What's the better moments to re write my app, considering the roadmap

Dear Benjamin,
we are very interested in the development of the serial API for firefox browser. Could you give us some suggestions on how to start to develop it? What are the requirements to contribute in this project?

Thank you very much
Marco Matta
Pegaso s.r.l

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

jbleasdale
Please can you confirm the position regarding Silverlight support in 52 ESR?

I had understood from your 23rd Feb post that 52 ESR would support all NPAPI plugins though into 2018, including Silverlight.

If you are now planning to drop support for all but Flash, please can I ask you to reconsider for Silverlight too?  Apple have included support for Silverlight in Safari 10 and we have a large userbase Silverlight application for which we would hate to lose Firefox support this early.

The 52 ESR release would be a great way to provide this extended transition time for organisations still dependent on Silverlight.

Thanks,
John

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Benjamin Smedberg
52 *release* will only allow Flash.

The 52 *ESR* series will continue to allow all current NPAPI plugins (Java,
Silverlight, Unity etc)

--BDS

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please can you confirm the position regarding Silverlight support in 52
> ESR?
>
> I had understood from your 23rd Feb post that 52 ESR would support all
> NPAPI plugins though into 2018, including Silverlight.
>
> If you are now planning to drop support for all but Flash, please can I
> ask you to reconsider for Silverlight too?  Apple have included support for
> Silverlight in Safari 10 and we have a large userbase Silverlight
> application for which we would hate to lose Firefox support this early.
>
> The 52 ESR release would be a great way to provide this extended
> transition time for organisations still dependent on Silverlight.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

NdK ClanBO
Il giorno mercoledì 7 settembre 2016 16:33:25 UTC+2, Benjamin Smedberg ha scritto:

> The 52 *ESR* series will continue to allow all current NPAPI plugins (Java,
> Silverlight, Unity etc)
Is there something planned for long-term support of legacy devices (network switches, IPMI web frontends, etc) that require JavaPlugin and for sure won't receive updates (manufacturers are not interested in letting users upgrade their existing devices... better if they're forced by someone else to buy the newer hw...)?

Tks,
 Diego

On 12/21/2016 1:34 PM, NdK ClanBO wrote:
>> > The 52 *ESR* series will continue to allow all current NPAPI plugins (Java,
>> > Silverlight, Unity etc)
> Is there something planned for long-term support of legacy devices (network switches, IPMI web frontends, etc) that require JavaPlugin and for sure won't receive updates (manufacturers are not interested in letting users upgrade their existing devices... better if they're forced by someone else to buy the newer hw...)?

Firefox 52 ESR version will support Java until 2018 Q1. IE on Windows
and Safari on macOS continue to support Java for now, too. I doubt
Microsoft will ever remove Java support from IE, so it will likely be a
long-term option.

chris

Il giorno mercoledì 21 dicembre 2016 23:19:52 UTC+1, Chris Peterson ha scritto:

> Firefox 52 ESR version will support Java until 2018 Q1. IE on Windows
> and Safari on macOS continue to support Java for now, too. I doubt
> Microsoft will ever remove Java support from IE, so it will likely be a
> long-term option.
Not for Linux-only users :(

BYtE,
 Diego.

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

peter.w.madsen
Den onsdag den 7. september 2016 kl. 16.33.25 UTC+2 skrev Benjamin Smedberg:
> 52 *release* will only allow Flash.
>
> The 52 *ESR* series will continue to allow all current NPAPI plugins (Java,
> Silverlight, Unity etc)
>
> --BDS

How can I - based on browser user agent detection - tell the differnce between a version 52 *release' and a version 52 *ESR* ?
I want to guide the end user depending on the browser capability to support the Java plug-in.
Thanks
Peter

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

peter.w.madsen
Den onsdag den 7. september 2016 kl. 16.33.25 UTC+2 skrev Benjamin Smedberg:
> 52 *release* will only allow Flash.
>
> The 52 *ESR* series will continue to allow all current NPAPI plugins (Java,
> Silverlight, Unity etc)
>
> --BDS

How can I - based on browser user agent detection - tell the difference between a version 52 *release* and a version 52 *ESR* ?

Den mandag den 2. januar 2017 kl. 17.15.50 UTC+1 skrev [hidden email]:

> Den onsdag den 7. september 2016 kl. 16.33.25 UTC+2 skrev Benjamin Smedberg:
> > 52 *release* will only allow Flash.
> >
> > The 52 *ESR* series will continue to allow all current NPAPI plugins (Java,
> > Silverlight, Unity etc)
> >
> > --BDS
>
> How can I - based on browser user agent detection - tell the difference between a version 52 *release* and a version 52 *ESR* ?
> I want to guide the end user depending on the browser capability to support the Java plug-in.
> Thanks
> Peter

I seem to have found the answer in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1269807#c83 :
"Unfortunately, you can't detect ESR from the server side because both ESR and non-ESR releases have the same User-Agent string."

:-(

/Peter