Java plugin phase out timeline

Java Dev
Hello,

Hope all is well. The company I work for uses Java applets for our web products and we are currently planning our release schedules to replace Java applet tech, as it will affect many users in our product community and several products. As such, our dev team would like to better understand the "drop dead date" of when the Java plugin will stop working in Firefox.

We are aware that the announcement was for end of 2016, but wanted to confirm if there is a more specific date other than 12/31/2016. Also, we would like to know if Firefox will follow a similar path as Chrome to provide a way to still manually enable the Java plugin for some time (disabled by default), perhaps even past end of 2016.

We want our users to use Firefox instead of other browsers, especially since we have had to run through some hoops to get our corporate clients to switch from IE to Firefox for our web applications. For some reason, some corporations are resistant to running browsers other than IE and it took some convincing on our part.

Your response is greatly appreciated. We would prefer our user community still use Firefox and not switch to IE, while we are working through converting our web products to web based technology and away from the Java plugin. We are concerned that if they switch to IE again, while we work to replace Java applets, their IT departments might not approve going back again to Firefox.

Best Regards,
Alexandra

P.S. If you are interested, more information about our company and products is available at www.7thonline.com.

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Chris Peterson-12
On 2/23/16 10:03 AM, Java Dev wrote:
> Hope all is well. The company I work for uses Java applets for our web products and we are currently planning our release schedules to replace Java applet tech, as it will affect many users in our product community and several products. As such, our dev team would like to better understand the "drop dead date" of when the Java plugin will stop working in Firefox.
>
> We are aware that the announcement was for end of 2016, but wanted to confirm if there is a more specific date other than 12/31/2016. Also, we would like to know if Firefox will follow a similar path as Chrome to provide a way to still manually enable the Java plugin for some time (disabled by default), perhaps even past end of 2016.

hi Alexandra, our tentative schedule is to remove NPAPI support in
Firefox 53 (which will be in the Firefox Nightly channel in November
2016 and released in April 2017). These versions or dates are not
official or set in stone. They could conceivably be postponed if we need
to continue supporting NPAPI for some reason.

The next Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) version is 52 and will
receive security updates for a year. By removing NPAPI in Firefox 53,
the release *after* the ESR, users that need NPAPI support can continue
to switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018.

chris

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

bnafta
Hello, I have some use cases, which currently are "solved" with Java Applets:

1 - Control a Twain scanner. (kodak scanner i2800)
2 - Control a fingerprint reader (Nitgen Fingkey Hamster I DX).
3 - Control a barcode reader.

All of these involve access dll's (or .so ) via JNI.

What technology Firefox provides so I can migrate and continue to access/control hardware as i can now via dll's + JNI + Java Applets?

--
Fábio C. Barrionuevo da Luz
Palmas - Tocantins - Brasil - América do Sul

Em terça-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2016 15:35:46 UTC-3, Chris Peterson  escreveu:

> On 2/23/16 10:03 AM, Java Dev wrote:
> > Hope all is well. The company I work for uses Java applets for our web products and we are currently planning our release schedules to replace Java applet tech, as it will affect many users in our product community and several products. As such, our dev team would like to better understand the "drop dead date" of when the Java plugin will stop working in Firefox.
> >
> > We are aware that the announcement was for end of 2016, but wanted to confirm if there is a more specific date other than 12/31/2016. Also, we would like to know if Firefox will follow a similar path as Chrome to provide a way to still manually enable the Java plugin for some time (disabled by default), perhaps even past end of 2016.
>

> hi Alexandra, our tentative schedule is to remove NPAPI support in
> Firefox 53 (which will be in the Firefox Nightly channel in November
> 2016 and released in April 2017). These versions or dates are not
> official or set in stone. They could conceivably be postponed if we need
> to continue supporting NPAPI for some reason.
>
> The next Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) version is 52 and will
> receive security updates for a year. By removing NPAPI in Firefox 53,
> the release *after* the ESR, users that need NPAPI support can continue
> to switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018.
>

> chris

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Mikael Haltali
Hi,
the best solution currently is js-ctypes which enables you to build an
extension that calls a custom dll written in C
That's what my team is currently doing to migrate a NPAPI plugin.
Documentation is good but the only drawback currently is the lack of end to
end examples.
Here is a link to official documentation
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/js-ctypes

Hope this helps

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I have some use cases, which currently are "solved" with Java
> Applets:
>
> 1 - Control a Twain scanner. (kodak scanner i2800)
> 2 - Control a fingerprint reader (Nitgen Fingkey Hamster I DX).
> 3 - Control a barcode reader.
>
> All of these involve access dll's (or .so ) via JNI.
>

> What technology Firefox provides so I can migrate and continue to
> access/control hardware as i can now via dll's + JNI + Java Applets?
>

> --
> Fábio C. Barrionuevo da Luz
> Palmas - Tocantins - Brasil - América do Sul
>

> Em terça-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2016 15:35:46 UTC-3, Chris Peterson
> escreveu:
> > On 2/23/16 10:03 AM, Java Dev wrote:
> > > Hope all is well. The company I work for uses Java applets for our web
> products and we are currently planning our release schedules to replace
> Java applet tech, as it will affect many users in our product community and
> several products. As such, our dev team would like to better understand the
> "drop dead date" of when the Java plugin will stop working in Firefox.
> > >
> > > We are aware that the announcement was for end of 2016, but wanted to
> confirm if there is a more specific date other than 12/31/2016. Also, we
> would like to know if Firefox will follow a similar path as Chrome to
> provide a way to still manually enable the Java plugin for some time
> (disabled by default), perhaps even past end of 2016.
> >

> > hi Alexandra, our tentative schedule is to remove NPAPI support in
> > Firefox 53 (which will be in the Firefox Nightly channel in November
> > 2016 and released in April 2017). These versions or dates are not
> > official or set in stone. They could conceivably be postponed if we need
> > to continue supporting NPAPI for some reason.
> >
> > The next Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) version is 52 and will
> > receive security updates for a year. By removing NPAPI in Firefox 53,
> > the release *after* the ESR, users that need NPAPI support can continue
> > to switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018.
> >

> > chris

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Chris Peterson-12
hi Fábio, an alternative to js-ctypes is to create a Firefox extension
that communicates with a child process written in native code that calls
your DLL. The Addon SDK's system/child_process API allows pipe-based
communication with an external binary:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK/Low-Level_APIs/system_child_process

chris

On 2/24/16 9:25 AM, Mikael Haltali wrote:

> Hi,
> the best solution currently is js-ctypes which enables you to build an
> extension that calls a custom dll written in C
> That's what my team is currently doing to migrate a NPAPI plugin.
> Documentation is good but the only drawback currently is the lack of end to
> end examples.
> Here is a link to official documentation
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/js-ctypes
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello, I have some use cases, which currently are "solved" with Java
>> Applets:
>>
>> 1 - Control a Twain scanner. (kodak scanner i2800)
>> 2 - Control a fingerprint reader (Nitgen Fingkey Hamster I DX).
>> 3 - Control a barcode reader.
>>
>> All of these involve access dll's (or .so ) via JNI.
>>

>> What technology Firefox provides so I can migrate and continue to
>> access/control hardware as i can now via dll's + JNI + Java Applets?
>>

>> --
>> Fábio C. Barrionuevo da Luz
>> Palmas - Tocantins - Brasil - América do Sul
>>

>> Em terça-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2016 15:35:46 UTC-3, Chris Peterson
>> escreveu:
>> products and we are currently planning our release schedules to replace
>> Java applet tech, as it will affect many users in our product community and
>> several products. As such, our dev team would like to better understand the
>> "drop dead date" of when the Java plugin will stop working in Firefox.

>> confirm if there is a more specific date other than 12/31/2016. Also, we
>> would like to know if Firefox will follow a similar path as Chrome to
>> provide a way to still manually enable the Java plugin for some time
>> (disabled by default), perhaps even past end of 2016.
>>>

>>> hi Alexandra, our tentative schedule is to remove NPAPI support in
>>> Firefox 53 (which will be in the Firefox Nightly channel in November
>>> 2016 and released in April 2017). These versions or dates are not
>>> official or set in stone. They could conceivably be postponed if we need
>>> to continue supporting NPAPI for some reason.
>>>
>>> The next Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) version is 52 and will
>>> receive security updates for a year. By removing NPAPI in Firefox 53,
>>> the release *after* the ESR, users that need NPAPI support can continue
>>> to switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018.
>>>

>>> chris

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Benjamin Smedberg

On 2/24/2016 12:25 PM, Mikael Haltali wrote:
> Hi,
> the best solution currently is js-ctypes which enables you to build an
> extension that calls a custom dll written in C
To repeat what Chris Peterson wrote, we strongly discourage use of
JS-ctypes is new code: it is very difficult to write code which is
memory-safe. We strongly encourage everyone to use a separate process
and communicate with pipes  using system/child_process or the future
WebExtensions.

--BDS

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Mikael Haltali
Ok my bad for pointing people in the wrong direction
How come js-ctypes is not recommended but child_process is although it's
marked as "Experimental" in the documentation. What does that even mean? A
next update could break the API or could it be removed in a new build?

Anyways thanks for the information

On 2/25/2016 10:23 AM, Mikael Haltali wrote:

> How come js-ctypes is not recommended but child_process is although
> it's marked as "Experimental" in the documentation.

I can't explain the "experimental" except that development of the addon
SDK never finished it. But it's been around and pretty stable for a
while, and it is technically the least dangerous choice and has some
nice properties of API and crash isolation.

--BDS

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Mikael Haltali
Ok thanks for the info
Our development is still at a proof of concept stage thankfully so I guess
i'm going to be doing another proof of concept using child_process :)

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:35:46 PM UTC-5, Chris Peterson wrote:

> The next Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) version is 52 and will
> receive security updates for a year. By removing NPAPI in Firefox 53,
> the release *after* the ESR, users that need NPAPI support can continue
> to switch to Firefox ESR 52 and keep using NPAPI plugins until May 2018.

Chris,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply! Greatly appreciate it! Sorry it took me a while to get back in here. Honestly, I was a little afraid to check back and find out the answer.

It is such excellent news that our user community could continue to use Firefox by going to the Firefox ESR version 52 and can use it for about a year more. Is there a specific announcement page where I can check the status/progress for this version and how to use it/switch to it or should I check-in back here later in the year? We want to make our corporate clients aware of their options, the timeline and make sure they stay on Firefox!

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Alexandra

On 4/6/16 9:49 AM, Java Dev wrote:
> It is such excellent news that our user community could continue to use Firefox by going to the Firefox ESR version 52 and can use it for about a year more. Is there a specific announcement page where I can check the status/progress for this version and how to use it/switch to it or should I check-in back here later in the year? We want to make our corporate clients aware of their options, the timeline and make sure they stay on Firefox!

More information about Firefox ESR installation and its release schedule
is available below, but feel free to check this list or email directly.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

chris

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 4:14:28 PM UTC-4, Chris Peterson wrote:
> More information about Firefox ESR installation and its release schedule
> is available below, but feel free to check this list or email directly.
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Thank you, it is very informative!

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:35:46 PM UTC-5, Chris Peterson wrote:

> hi Alexandra, our tentative schedule is to remove NPAPI support in
> Firefox 53 (which will be in the Firefox Nightly channel in November
> 2016 and released in April 2017). These versions or dates are not
> official or set in stone. They could conceivably be postponed if we need
> to continue supporting NPAPI for some reason.

As it has been a few months, I just wanted to double check if the release schedule mentioned above for removal of NPAPI plugins such as the Java Runtime Environment is still the same - namely, the NPAPI support is removed with Firefox 53 which would be released to the public in April 2017.

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,
Alexandra

On 4/27/16 1:52 PM, Java Dev wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:35:46 PM UTC-5, Chris Peterson wrote:
>> >
>> > hi Alexandra, our tentative schedule is to remove NPAPI support in
>> > Firefox 53 (which will be in the Firefox Nightly channel in November
>> > 2016 and released in April 2017). These versions or dates are not
>> > official or set in stone. They could conceivably be postponed if we need
>> > to continue supporting NPAPI for some reason.
>> >
> As it has been a few months, I just wanted to double check if the release schedule mentioned above for removal of NPAPI plugins such as the Java Runtime Environment is still the same - namely, the NPAPI support is removed with Firefox 53 which would be released to the public in April 2017.

Yes. That's still the plan.

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 5:35:49 PM UTC-4, Chris Peterson wrote:
> > As it has been a few months, I just wanted to double check if the release schedule mentioned above for removal of NPAPI plugins such as the Java Runtime Environment is still the same - namely, the NPAPI support is removed with Firefox 53 which would be released to the public in April 2017.
>
> Yes. That's still the plan.

Sounds good, thank you for the quick reply!

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Java Dev
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 5:35:49 PM UTC-4, Chris Peterson wrote:

> > As it has been a few months, I just wanted to double check if the release schedule mentioned above for removal of NPAPI plugins such as the Java Runtime Environment is still the same - namely, the NPAPI support is removed with Firefox 53 which would be released to the public in April 2017.
>
> Yes. That's still the plan.

Just a reality check - the plan above for the Firefox 53 release still the same (as in April 2017)?

Also, I have been puzzled about something else recently. Even if the NPAPI plug-ins are allowed in Firefox ESR, how is the "plug-in black list" in Firefox ESR handled? Would Java be blocked somehow in it? In other words, is there a possibility that Java as a plug-in would be blocked in the Firefox ESR "plug-in black list", even though NPAPI plug-in's as a whole would still be allowed? And how likely is this to actually happen? Appreciate your help with these questions.

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Benjamin Smedberg
Actually Chris, my plan was to do this in Firefox 52, not wait for Firefox
53.

--BDS

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Java Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, I have been puzzled about something else recently. Even if the NPAPI
> plug-ins are allowed in Firefox ESR, how is the "plug-in black list" in
> Firefox ESR handled? Would Java be blocked somehow in it? In other words,
> is there a possibility that Java as a plug-in would be blocked in the
> Firefox ESR "plug-in black list", even though NPAPI plug-in's as a whole
> would still be allowed? And how likely is this to actually happen?
> Appreciate your help with these questions.

The purpose of the plugin blocklist is to keep users secure from
known-vulnerable versions of various plugins.  We regularly add old
versions of Flash and Java to the blocklist when security updates are
released. We also periodically may add the *current* version of plugins to
the blocklist if there are unpatched vulnerabilities which are being
actively exploited in the wild.

This is no different for ESR than normal release channels, and we will
continue to maintain this blocklist for Java versions through the end of
the supported ESR cycle.

--BDS

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Christian Rottler
So, will the NPAPI support still be present in the ESR52 line of browsers or not? Now I'm a bit confused...

Regards,
Chris (some other Chris, that is)

Am 27. Juni 2016 17:35:57 MESZ, schrieb Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]>:

>Actually Chris, my plan was to do this in Firefox 52, not wait for
>Firefox
>53.
>
>--BDS
>
>On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> On 4/27/16 1:52 PM, Java Dev wrote:

>in
>November
>we
>>>> >

>>> As it has been a few months, I just wanted to double check if the
>release
>>> schedule mentioned above for removal of NPAPI plugins such as the
>Java
>>> Runtime Environment is still the same - namely, the NPAPI support is
>>> removed with Firefox 53 which would be released to the public in
>April 2017.
>>>

>> Yes. That's still the plan.

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Benjamin Smedberg
Yes, we will support NPAPI in the ESR52 series. My intention is to stop
supporting it in the 52 release series.

--BDS

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Christian Rottler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So, will the NPAPI support still be present in the ESR52 line of browsers
> or not? Now I'm a bit confused...
>
> Regards,
> Chris (some other Chris, that is)
>
> Am 27. Juni 2016 17:35:57 MESZ, schrieb Benjamin Smedberg <
> [hidden email]>:
>>
>> Actually Chris, my plan was to do this in Firefox 52, not wait for Firefox
>> 53.
>>
>> --BDS
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>>  Yes. That's still the plan.

Re: Java plugin phase out timeline

Christian Rottler
Okay, I see. Thanks for your quick reply!

Cheers,
Chris