JXON support in js shell

cal (Bugzilla)
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to do XML document parsing with the js shell
app.  The example JXON.js <http://download.beonex.com/component/JXON.js> I
found appears to need a fully featured DOM to work.  The FakeDOMObject in
js shell doesn't seem to have all of the features necessary to work with
the JXON parser.

Are there any JXON parsers out there that do not depend on the DOM parser?

Thank you,

--Cal

Re: JXON support in js shell

Terrence Cole-3
Hi Cal,

SpiderMonkey's JS shell program is meant only an example usage of the
SpiderMonkey API. It happens to have just enough extra machinery hacked
onto it to allow us to write interesting tests, but you should not expect
any of this functionality to be generally useful. In other words, its only
intended consumers are the jit-test and jstest suites.

What exactly are you trying to do that needs to do XML parsing in the
SpiderMonkey shell?

Cheers,
Terrence

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Cal Heldenbrand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to do XML document parsing with the js shell
> app.  The example JXON.js <http://download.beonex.com/component/JXON.js> I
> found appears to need a fully featured DOM to work.  The FakeDOMObject in
> js shell doesn't seem to have all of the features necessary to work with
> the JXON parser.
>
> Are there any JXON parsers out there that do not depend on the DOM parser?
>
> Thank you,
>
> --Cal

Re: JXON support in js shell

cal (Bugzilla)
Well, I should be a little more specific.  My application is heavily based
on all of the nice tools the js shell provides, with some added classes.
I'm porting from the old 1.8.5 engine to the latest 46.  And part of this
process, is we have some js scripts that use E4X.  I need to find the path
of least resistance for porting this E4X code over to something else.  JXON
seems like what everyone else was doing, but I ran into issues with the
example code requiring the DOM Parser.  I did find Marknote
<https://code.google.com/archive/p/marknote/wikis/DevelopersGuide.wiki>, a
pure js XML parser, but it's not as feature rich.

Anyway, just looking for some advice.  Thanks!

--Cal

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Terrence Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Cal,
>
> SpiderMonkey's JS shell program is meant only an example usage of the
> SpiderMonkey API. It happens to have just enough extra machinery hacked
> onto it to allow us to write interesting tests, but you should not expect
> any of this functionality to be generally useful. In other words, its only
> intended consumers are the jit-test and jstest suites.
>
> What exactly are you trying to do that needs to do XML parsing in the
> SpiderMonkey shell?
>
> Cheers,
> Terrence
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Cal Heldenbrand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how to do XML document parsing with the js shell
>> app.  The example JXON.js <http://download.beonex.com/component/JXON.js>
>> found appears to need a fully featured DOM to work.  The FakeDOMObject in
>> js shell doesn't seem to have all of the features necessary to work with
>> the JXON parser.
>>
>> Are there any JXON parsers out there that do not depend on the DOM parser?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> --Cal

Re: JXON support in js shell

cal (Bugzilla)
Just to follow up on this thread, I found this XML DOM Parser
<https://github.com/jindw/xmldom> that seems to work great with the JXON
library code.  So, problem solved!

--Cal