JSDebugv2: Transition strategy

John J Barton
I'd like to know what kind of plan (if any) there may be for moving
between jsd and JSDebugv2. We have ~5kloc of JS in Firebug related to JS
debug. The easiest thing to do is just start over. We'd maintain Firebug
on jsd and an experimental branch on JSDebuv2. That would mean that we
have zero value from JSDebugv2 until it is as complete as jsd. Now
arguing contrary to my previous lobbying for lots of cool new features,
the best for us would be to target jsd-equivalence in the most compact
time range.

Is there any way to have both debug layers? That would allow an
intermediate stop.

jjb

Re: JSDebugv2: Transition strategy

Jim Blandy-3
On 05/19/2010 10:06 PM, johnjbarton wrote:

> I'd like to know what kind of plan (if any) there may be for moving
> between jsd and JSDebugv2. We have ~5kloc of JS in Firebug related to JS
> debug. The easiest thing to do is just start over. We'd maintain Firebug
> on jsd and an experimental branch on JSDebuv2. That would mean that we
> have zero value from JSDebugv2 until it is as complete as jsd. Now
> arguing contrary to my previous lobbying for lots of cool new features,
> the best for us would be to target jsd-equivalence in the most compact
> time range.
>
> Is there any way to have both debug layers? That would allow an
> intermediate stop.

That is an angle I hadn't considered.  I mean, certainly we weren't
planning on *deleting* jsd for some time yet, but there's the more
relevant question of whether they can actually be used together.

I don't want to compromise the interface or complicate the
implementation for the sake of something that we'd really like to
transition away from (jsd).  But if mixed jsd/js::dbg2 use is something
that could be accomplished in a non-invasive way, then that's obviously
preferable.