Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

orange kid
I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be welcome,
so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and mozilla.FF for ff
and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino, bugzilla, etc...  I figure if
I can't get a question answered here I can post there but I find it more
  facile to post all of my mozilla questions in one forum and
"mozilla.general" seems like that right one.  or am i missing something?

Re: Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

»Q«
orange kid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be
> welcome, so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and
> mozilla.FF for ff and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino,
> bugzilla, etc...  I figure if I can't get a question answered here I
> can post there but I find it more facile to post all of my mozilla
> questions in one forum and "mozilla.general" seems like that right
> one.  or am i missing something?

mozilla.general is a catch-all for mozilla-related stuff that doesn't
have it's own specific group.  You can post whatever you want here, but
IMO you'll get better support by posting to the support group for
whichever app you're asking about.

Re: Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

ovidiu grigorescu
orange kid wrote:
> I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be welcome,
> so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and mozilla.FF for ff
> and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino, bugzilla, etc...  I figure
> if I can't get a question answered here I can post there but I find it
> more  facile to post all of my mozilla questions in one forum and
> "mozilla.general" seems like that right one.  or am i missing something?
the point is that is dedicated and more likely to get quick and more,
some people might look rather there and have the right answers.
and btw, you should reply to the answer in order to get this in the same
thread (sorry if  you actually wanted it as a separate thread...)

»Q« wrote:

> orange kid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be
>> welcome, so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and
>> mozilla.FF for ff and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino,
>> bugzilla, etc...  I figure if I can't get a question answered here I
>> can post there but I find it more facile to post all of my mozilla
>> questions in one forum and "mozilla.general" seems like that right
>> one.  or am i missing something?
>
> mozilla.general is a catch-all for mozilla-related stuff that doesn't
> have it's own specific group.  You can post whatever you want here, but
> IMO you'll get better support by posting to the support group for
> whichever app you're asking about.

rgr

ovidiu grigorescu wrote:

> orange kid wrote:
>> I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be welcome,
>> so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and mozilla.FF for ff
>> and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino, bugzilla, etc...  I figure
>> if I can't get a question answered here I can post there but I find it
>> more  facile to post all of my mozilla questions in one forum and
>> "mozilla.general" seems like that right one.  or am i missing something?
> the point is that is dedicated and more likely to get quick and more,
> some people might look rather there and have the right answers.
> and btw, you should reply to the answer in order to get this in the same
> thread (sorry if  you actually wanted it as a separate thread...)

no i just accidentally hit "write" instead of "reply".    not enough
coffee this morning.

Re: Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
»Q« wrote:

> orange kid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be
>> welcome, so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and
>> mozilla.FF for ff and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino,
>> bugzilla, etc...  I figure if I can't get a question answered here I
>> can post there but I find it more facile to post all of my mozilla
>> questions in one forum and "mozilla.general" seems like that right
>> one.  or am i missing something?
>
> mozilla.general is a catch-all for mozilla-related stuff that doesn't
> have it's own specific group.  You can post whatever you want here, but
> IMO you'll get better support by posting to the support group for
> whichever app you're asking about.

Additionally, someone looking for a TB specific solution would more
likely peruse the TB group as opposed to general.  Having the groups
broken down by product makes them a tad more user friendly.

Rinaldi
--
Horngren's Observation:
        Among economists, the real world is often a special case.

Re: Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

JM-43
"orange kid" ...
>I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be welcome,
> so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and mozilla.FF for ff
> and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino, bugzilla, etc...  I figure if
> I can't get a question answered here I can post there but I find it more
>  facile to post all of my mozilla questions in one forum and
> "mozilla.general" seems like that right one.  or am i missing something?

Perfectly valid assumption and one that is the case with other groups
of related newsgroups, but here it has turned into a "coffeehouse"  or actually
more like a "wild west"  saloon.

But it has always been best to post the question (after trying to find the
answer yourself through search engines) in the newsgroup that best fits
the question, and makes it easier for others to find answers from
previously asked questions as well.
--
David McRitchie,  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

David McRitchie wrote:

> "orange kid" ...
>> I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be welcome,
>> so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and mozilla.FF for ff
>> and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino, bugzilla, etc...  I figure
>> if I can't get a question answered here I can post there but I find it
>> more  facile to post all of my mozilla questions in one forum and
>> "mozilla.general" seems like that right one.  or am i missing something?
>
> Perfectly valid assumption and one that is the case with other groups
> of related newsgroups, but here it has turned into a "coffeehouse"  or
> actually
> more like a "wild west"  saloon.
>
> But it has always been best to post the question (after trying to find the
> answer yourself through search engines) in the newsgroup that best fits
> the question, and makes it easier for others to find answers from
> previously asked questions as well.

probably right, even though a simple question of mine in the TB forum
somehow ended up in here.

Re: Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

Leonidas Jones
orange kid wrote:

> David McRitchie wrote:
>> "orange kid" ...
>>> I figured in "General" all general mozilla questions would be
>>> welcome, so that I don't have to go to mozilla.TB for TB and
>>> mozilla.FF for ff and mozilla.  same with seamonkey, camino,
>>> bugzilla, etc...  I figure if I can't get a question answered here I
>>> can post there but I find it more  facile to post all of my mozilla
>>> questions in one forum and "mozilla.general" seems like that right
>>> one.  or am i missing something?
>>
>> Perfectly valid assumption and one that is the case with other groups
>> of related newsgroups, but here it has turned into a "coffeehouse"  or
>> actually
>> more like a "wild west"  saloon.
>>
>> But it has always been best to post the question (after trying to find
>> the
>> answer yourself through search engines) in the newsgroup that best fits
>> the question, and makes it easier for others to find answers from
>> previously asked questions as well.
>

> probably right, even though a simple question of mine in the TB forum
> somehow ended up in here.

That happens when off topic conversations break out in threads. Someone
notes the off topic nature, and sets a followup to general, so the off
topic nature can be continued outside of the support groups.

Lee

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> orange kid wrote:
>> David McRitchie wrote:
>>> "orange kid" ...
>>>
>>> Perfectly valid assumption and one that is the case with other groups
>>> of related newsgroups, but here it has turned into a "coffeehouse"
>>> or actually
>>> more like a "wild west"  saloon.
>>>
>>> But it has always been best to post the question (after trying to
>>> find the
>>> answer yourself through search engines) in the newsgroup that best fits
>>> the question, and makes it easier for others to find answers from
>>> previously asked questions as well.
>>

>> probably right, even though a simple question of mine in the TB forum
>> somehow ended up in here.
>
> That happens when off topic conversations break out in threads. Someone
> notes the off topic nature, and sets a followup to general, so the off
> topic nature can be continued outside of the support groups.
>
> Lee
thats perfectly understandable.  but for archiving reasons it could lead
to redundancy when someone else asks the same question in the TB forum.
       dont these groups have mods who can just lock the thread when the
original issue is resolved and the subject has aberrated to an off topic
english class?

orange kid wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> orange kid wrote:

>>> probably right, even though a simple question of mine in the TB forum
>>> somehow ended up in here.
>>
>> That happens when off topic conversations break out in threads.
>> Someone notes the off topic nature, and sets a followup to general, so
>> the off topic nature can be continued outside of the support groups.
>>
>> Lee
> thats perfectly understandable.  but for archiving reasons it could lead
> to redundancy when someone else asks the same question in the TB forum.
>       dont these groups have mods who can just lock the thread when the
> original issue is resolved and the subject has aberrated to an off topic
> english class?

Your original thread remains in the support.thunderbird group.  It is
replies to off topic sub threads that get moved here.

Lee

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> orange kid wrote:

>>> That happens when off topic conversations break out in threads.
>>> Someone notes the off topic nature, and sets a followup to general,
>>> so the off topic nature can be continued outside of the support groups.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> thats perfectly understandable.  but for archiving reasons it could
>> lead to redundancy when someone else asks the same question in the TB
>> forum.       dont these groups have mods who can just lock the thread
>> when the original issue is resolved and the subject has aberrated to
>> an off topic english class?
>
> Your original thread remains in the support.thunderbird group.  It is
> replies to off topic sub threads that get moved here.
>
> Lee

i see.  that makes sense then.

Re: Isn't the name of this group "Mozilla General"?

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 12/12/2007 9:41 AM, orange kid wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> orange kid wrote:

>>> probably right, even though a simple question of mine in the TB forum
>>> somehow ended up in here.
>>
>> That happens when off topic conversations break out in threads.
>> Someone notes the off topic nature, and sets a followup to general, so
>> the off topic nature can be continued outside of the support groups.
>>
>> Lee
> thats perfectly understandable.  but for archiving reasons it could lead
> to redundancy when someone else asks the same question in the TB forum.
>       dont these groups have mods who can just lock the thread when the
> original issue is resolved and the subject has aberrated to an off topic
> english class?

Unfortunately, the off-topic stuff often occurs *before* the original
issue is resolved!

--
Irwin