Is this your component?

Emma Humphries
One of my background tasks this quarter is reducing clutter and confusion
in bugzilla.mozilla.org by eliminating or merging components.

Fun Fact: There are over 1,500 components in bugzilla.mozilla.org 😱

Some components I had some questions about:

Other Applications    CCK        "The Client Customization Kit, for
corporate/organization
rollouts (<a href=""http://www.mozilla.org/projects/cck/"">more info</a>)"
Other Applications    ChatZilla                            An IRC client
implemented with JavaScript and XUL.
Other Applications    DOM Inspector                            The DOM
Inspector is a tool used to examine, modify, and debug the DOM of HTML,
XUL, or XML documents.
Other Applications    Fizzypop                            Fizzypop is a
web-based add-on and XUL application generator. The goal is to make it the
foundation for Mozilla developer tools.
Other Applications    PyXPCOM                            The Python to
XPCOM bridge. See <a href="https://developer.mozilla.org/en/PyXPCOM">
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/PyXPCOM</a> for more details.
Other Applications    QA Companion                            "The QA
Companion makes it easy for community members to get involved, providing an
interface to Litmus, QMO, and IRC and serving notifications of upcoming
testing events. See
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Litmus:Extension for more information."
Other Applications    Reporter                            XUL Extension for
reporting problematic websites to mozilla.org
Other Applications    Venkman JS Debugger          Bugs, problems,
enhancements for the Venkman JavaScript Debugger tool.
Other Applications    XUL Explorer                            "Please see
see http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/xul-explorer"

Since we're rid of XUL-based applications in Firefox, can the XUL
referencing components on this list go away?

Thanks,

-- Emma

Re: Is this your component?

Kevin Brosnan

CCK is Mike Kaply (mkaply on irc and @mozilla com) who has forked the code
to https://github.com/mkaply/cck2wizard

> Other Applications    ChatZilla                            An IRC client
> implemented with JavaScript and XUL.

I think silver on irc still owns this else check with the SeaMonkey
council. This is still has current releases. Not clear what post Fx57 holds.

> Other Applications    DOM Inspector                            The DOM
> Inspector is a tool used to examine, modify, and debug the DOM of HTML,
> XUL, or XML documents.

Not sure that this works with recent Firefox. DevTools has superseded this.
Might have SeaMonkey implications?

> Other Applications    Fizzypop                            Fizzypop is a
> web-based add-on and XUL application generator. The goal is to make it the
> foundation for Mozilla developer tools.

Created by mfinkle who is no longer at Mozilla. No collaborators.

> Other Applications    PyXPCOM                            The Python to
> XPCOM bridge. See <a href="https://developer.mozilla.org/en/PyXPCOM">
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/PyXPCOM</a> for more details.
> Other Applications    QA Companion                            "The QA
> Companion makes it easy for community members to get involved, providing an
> interface to Litmus, QMO, and IRC and serving notifications of upcoming
> testing events. See
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Litmus:Extension for more information."

Code by Heather Arthur and Clint Talbert neither are at Mozilla these days.
Source at https://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/qa/qac/ and some docs at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/QA_Companion_Hacking_Guide RyanVM would be the
owner by way of succession.

> Other Applications    Reporter                            XUL Extension for
> reporting problematic websites to mozilla.org
> Other Applications    Venkman JS Debugger          Bugs, problems,
> enhancements for the Venkman JavaScript Debugger tool.

I'm not sure that the venkman code even runs any more with all the
interface changes to the JS debugging API. JS team/DevTools? Might have
SeaMonkey implications?

> Other Applications    XUL Explorer                            "Please see
> see http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/xul-explorer"
>
> Since we're rid of XUL-based applications in Firefox, can the XUL
> referencing components on this list go away?

Created by mfinkle who is no longer at Mozilla. No collaborators.

> Thanks,
>
> -- Emma

Re: Is this your component?

Boris Zbarsky
On 5/1/17 7:46 PM, Kevin Brosnan wrote:
>> Other Applications    DOM Inspector                            The DOM
>> Inspector is a tool used to examine, modify, and debug the DOM of HTML,
>> XUL, or XML documents.
>
> Not sure that this works with recent Firefox.

It does in non-e10s windows.

> DevTools has superseded this.

I wish it had.  I end up falling back on DOM Inspector every so often,
still, because there are things it can do, easily, that our devtools
just have no way to do that I can see (check the XML namespace of an
element is the one that comes to mind right off hand, as well as viewing
the accessibility tree, viewing the attached stylesheets in a slight
saner way, etc).

The fact DOM Inspector doesn't work with e10s is really unfortunate.  :(

-Boris

Re: Is this your component?

Steve Wendt
On 5/1/2017 4:46 PM, Kevin Brosnan wrote:

>> Other Applications    DOM Inspector
>
> Might have SeaMonkey implications?

Looks like the version on Mozilla Add-Ons page is not getting updates:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.48/

>> Other Applications    Venkman JS Debugger
>
> I'm not sure that the venkman code even runs any more with all the
> interface changes to the JS debugging API. JS team/DevTools? Might
> have SeaMonkey implications?

No longer works; dropped since SeaMonkey 2.29.

Re: Is this your component?

Ryan VanderMeulen
On 5/1/17 7:46 PM, Kevin Brosnan wrote:

>> Other Applications    QA Companion                            "The QA
>> Companion makes it easy for community members to get involved, providing an
>> interface to Litmus, QMO, and IRC and serving notifications of upcoming
>> testing events. See
>> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Litmus:Extension for more information."
>>

> Code by Heather Arthur and Clint Talbert neither are at Mozilla these days.
> Source at https://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/qa/qac/ and some docs at
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/QA_Companion_Hacking_Guide RyanVM would be the
> owner by way of succession.

This is literally the first time I've ever heard of this. Going off the
description, I'm skeptical of its usefulness at this point too. And I
also highly doubt anybody's going to take the time to port it to be a
Web Extension before Fx57 ships, so I'd vote for putting this out to
pasture.

-Ryan