Is this Thunderbird addon possible?

Balaco ocalaB
When i compose messages from scratch, they always will use Unicode
encoding - this is how i setup my TB.

When i receive messages from a hotmail account, their encoding is
Western (is this the right name in English? I am translating what i see
in my language, portuguese, which is "Ocidental"). If i simply reply to
such a message, it will *ALWAYS* have encoding errors with all
accentuated letters, that my language uses. For the characters that
appear where the letters were, it is clearly an error of forced encoding
convertion of ISO-LATIN-1 to UTF-8, or viceversa.

To avoid the error, i must *always* remember to change the message
encoding in the reply composing window. If i do that, all the Western
characters eventually received will be correctly converted to Unicode
(they already were); and everything i write too.

Do you know this problem?

I want to make an addon that fix this, for (possibly) all accounts i
have in TB. The addon algorithm is this:

1. When i click on the reply button, check if the message is from
[anyone]@hotmail.com (and also possibly from other MS domains, which
probably have the same "smart feature").

2. If the message is from MS, the encoding of the reply to be composed
is forced to be Unicode. Else, it can work as usual (which is to
preserve the sender encoding, i think).

Is this addon possible to be made? Can you make? Or, at least, can you
help me to make it? Or, at the "last least", point me somewhere i can
talk with people that would possibly help with this?

Thank you in advance

--
=
       quem você é?

  2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
  2.b. You may do it here:

  https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: Is this Thunderbird addon possible?

Dave Royal
On 15 Jul 2020 22:01:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>When i compose messages from scratch, they always will use Unicode
>encoding - this is how i setup my TB.
>
>When i receive messages from a hotmail account, their encoding is
>Western (is this the right name in English? I am translating what i see
>in my language, portuguese, which is "Ocidental"). If i simply reply to
>such a message, it will *ALWAYS* have encoding errors with all
>accentuated letters, that my language uses. For the characters that
>appear where the letters were, it is clearly an error of forced encoding
>convertion of ISO-LATIN-1 to UTF-8, or viceversa.
> <snip>

This problem sounds familiar.
Do you have mailnews.force_charset_override set to true?

You shouldn't have to do any of this unless the character or transfer
encoding in the message is /not/ what the header says it is.

Are these hotmail messages in iso-8859-1 or windows-1252 (from the header)?

You could try a new profile - see if the defaults work correctly.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Em 16-07-2020 04:39, Dave Royal escreveu:

> On 15 Jul 2020 22:01:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> When i compose messages from scratch, they always will use Unicode
>> encoding - this is how i setup my TB.
>>
>> When i receive messages from a hotmail account, their encoding is
>> Western (is this the right name in English? I am translating what i see
>> in my language, portuguese, which is "Ocidental"). If i simply reply to
>> such a message, it will *ALWAYS* have encoding errors with all
>> accentuated letters, that my language uses. For the characters that
>> appear where the letters were, it is clearly an error of forced encoding
>> convertion of ISO-LATIN-1 to UTF-8, or viceversa.
>> <snip>
>
> This problem sounds familiar.
> Do you have mailnews.force_charset_override set to true?

No. It is false.

> You shouldn't have to do any of this unless the character or transfer
> encoding in the message is /not/ what the header says it is.

Can you (or someone else here) give me a linux command (to be done in
terminal) to check this?

> Are these hotmail messages in iso-8859-1 or windows-1252 (from the header)?

I could not see such header in Thunderbird, not even saying to show all
header. So i asked to save a message. I edited it to obfuscate all
personal information, i think. If there is something i left here,
please, warn me:

https://pastebin.com/C6Q8ufFb

In a few points of this message, a codification name is written. But
these points are not where the headers are (i guess).

> You could try a new profile - see if the defaults work correctly.

Well, i can try that. If it is as easy as having 2 profiles in Firefox
(which i use everyday), it should be just as easy.

--
=

On 19 Jul 2020 16:28:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>[Em 16-07-2020 04:39, Dave Royal escreveu:]
>No. It is false.
>
>Can you (or someone else here) give me a linux command (to be done in
>terminal) to check this?

I don't understand. Did you look in the prefs>config editor? That should
be enough to tell.

>I could not see such header in Thunderbird, not even saying to show all
>header. So i asked to save a message. I edited it to obfuscate all
>personal information, i think. If there is something i left here,
>please, warn me:
>
>https://pastebin.com/C6Q8ufFb
>
>In a few points of this message, a codification name is written. But
>these points are not where the headers are (i guess).

It's mime multipart/alternate (from the header).
Both parts (from the body) are:

The accented characters are transfer-encoded in QP: those '=xx' sequences.
I don't know whether windows-1252 covers Portuguese diacritics.

I'll have a look at it amanhã.

Dave Royal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2020 16:28:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>[Em 16-07-2020 04:39, Dave Royal escreveu:]
>>No. It is false.
>>
>>Can you (or someone else here) give me a linux command (to be done in
>>terminal) to check this?
>>
> I don't understand. Did you look in the prefs>config editor? That should
> be enough to tell.
>
>>I could not see such header in Thunderbird, not even saying to show all
>>header. So i asked to save a message. I edited it to obfuscate all
>>personal information, i think. If there is something i left here,
>>please, warn me:
>>
>>https://pastebin.com/C6Q8ufFb
>>
>>In a few points of this message, a codification name is written. But
>>these points are not where the headers are (i guess).
>>
> It's mime multipart/alternate (from the header).
> Both parts (from the body) are:
>
> The accented characters are transfer-encoded in QP: those '=xx' sequences.
> I don't know whether windows-1252 covers Portuguese diacritics.
>
> I'll have a look at it amanhã.

I saved the message as a .eml file and opened it in TB (68.9 SuSE
Linux). It opened OK - the Portuguese accented characters looked OK.
If I hit reply (or shift-reply for html) it looks OK. The character
encoding stays at Windows-1252, but there's no reason to change that.
Compose new messages in unicode, or change it if you need to include
some non-western glyphs.

If all that works differently in your TB then I think you need to change
some settings. I see you're using TB52 but I doubt if that's
significant. There are thousands of Poruguese users of TB and millions
of users of Microsoft email: it must work for most of them!

I remember from when I once solved this for someone who had the same
problem in Greek, that the settings are quite complicated. (I can't find
that solution on SUMO - it was some years ago - but there are similar
problems there:
<https://support.mozilla.org/pt-BR/products/thunderbird>

Em 19-07-2020 18:26, Dave Royal escreveu:

> On 19 Jul 2020 16:28:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> [Em 16-07-2020 04:39, Dave Royal escreveu:]
>> No. It is false.
>>
>> Can you (or someone else here) give me a linux command (to be done in
>> terminal) to check this?
>>
> I don't understand. Did you look in the prefs>config editor? That should
> be enough to tell.

Looking in the config editer is about "You shouldn't have to do any of
this unless the character or transfer encoding in the message is /not/
what the header says it is." !!! I have no problem in using the advanced
config. I sent a multiquote message, with specific comments for each
quote. The possible command is to check the message headers.

>> I could not see such header in Thunderbird, not even saying to show all
>> header. So i asked to save a message. I edited it to obfuscate all
>> personal information, i think. If there is something i left here,
>> please, warn me:
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/C6Q8ufFb
>>
>> In a few points of this message, a codification name is written. But
>> these points are not where the headers are (i guess).
>>
> It's mime multipart/alternate (from the header).
> Both parts (from the body) are:
>
> The accented characters are transfer-encoded in QP: those '=xx' sequences.
> I don't know whether windows-1252 covers Portuguese diacritics.

Windows-1252 covers all of them. It is specific for that.

> I'll have a look at it amanhã.

"Amanhã"? (: -> Você sabe um pouquinho de português?

--
=
       quem você é?
       to show who you are?

  2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
  2.b. You may do it here:

  https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: The bug happened with you!

Balaco ocalaB
Em 20-07-2020 03:56, Dave Royal escreveu:

> Dave Royal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 19 Jul 2020 16:28:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> [Em 16-07-2020 04:39, Dave Royal escreveu:]
>>> No. It is false.
>>>
>>> Can you (or someone else here) give me a linux command (to be done in
>>> terminal) to check this?
>>>
>> I don't understand. Did you look in the prefs>config editor? That should
>> be enough to tell.
>>
>>> I could not see such header in Thunderbird, not even saying to show all
>>> header. So i asked to save a message. I edited it to obfuscate all
>>> personal information, i think. If there is something i left here,
>>> please, warn me:
>>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/C6Q8ufFb
>>>
>>> In a few points of this message, a codification name is written. But
>>> these points are not where the headers are (i guess).
>>>
>> It's mime multipart/alternate (from the header).
>> Both parts (from the body) are:
>>
>> The accented characters are transfer-encoded in QP: those '=xx' sequences.
>> I don't know whether windows-1252 covers Portuguese diacritics.
>>
>> I'll have a look at it amanhã.

Hey! Look here! The bug happened with you!

In the message you sent 2020/07/19 18:26 -3 UTC, you wrote "amanhã".
Today, 2020/07/20 03:56 -3 UTC, you replied to it. Note that "amanhã"
turned into "amanhã"! This is exactly the error that happen with me and
that friend. While i compose, everything seems fine. But when she
receives the message, it is all trashed, also as the copy in my sent folder.

--
=
       quem você é?
       to show who you are?

  2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
  2.b. You may do it here:

  https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: Is this Thunderbird addon possible?

Balaco ocalaB
Em 20-07-2020 03:56, Dave Royal escreveu:

> Dave Royal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 19 Jul 2020 16:28:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> [Em 16-07-2020 04:39, Dave Royal escreveu:]
>>> I could not see such header in Thunderbird, not even saying to show all
>>> header. So i asked to save a message. I edited it to obfuscate all
>>> personal information, i think. If there is something i left here,
>>> please, warn me:
>>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/C6Q8ufFb
>>>
>>> In a few points of this message, a codification name is written. But
>>> these points are not where the headers are (i guess).
>>>
>> It's mime multipart/alternate (from the header).
>> Both parts (from the body) are:

I see. Thank you for explaining.

>> The accented characters are transfer-encoded in QP: those '=xx' sequences.
>> I don't know whether windows-1252 covers Portuguese diacritics.
>>
>> I'll have a look at it amanhã.
>>
> I saved the message as a .eml file and opened it in TB (68.9 SuSE
> Linux). It opened OK - the Portuguese accented characters looked OK.
> If I hit reply (or shift-reply for html) it looks OK. The character
> encoding stays at Windows-1252, but there's no reason to change that.
> Compose new messages in unicode, or change it if you need to include
> some non-western glyphs.

The encoding errors do not appear while i am composing, or while i look
at the message which i saved as .eml for you (i am impressed that you
could use it to send anything, as i edited many headers manually). The
errors will appear in the copy of the reply message that was kept in
your reply folder, and in the copy received by your test receiver.

--
=

Balaco ocalaB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Em 20-07-2020 03:56, Dave Royal escreveu:
>> Dave Royal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'll have a look at it amanhã.
>>>

> Hey! Look here! The bug happened with you!
>
> In the message you sent 2020/07/19 18:26 -3 UTC, you wrote "amanhã".
> Today, 2020/07/20 03:56 -3 UTC, you replied to it. Note that "amanhã"
> turned into "amanhã"! This is exactly the error that happen with me and
> that friend. While i compose, everything seems fine. But when she
> receives the message, it is all trashed, also as the copy in my sent folder.

That was probably cause by tin newsreader not being configured correctly.
Yesteday's post was with PyKin, which I wrote, and always posts
unicode - as the header says. Today's post didn't have any information in
the header about encoding or charset so I don't know what your TB might
have assumed. When I composed it (tin composes with vi) it appeared as
?? (two question marks). I didn't care - I get used to that in tin! It's
another example of the 'wrong charset' effect, but not I think the same
as your email problem.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Is this Thunderbird addon possible?

Dave Royal
Balaco ocalaB <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The encoding errors do not appear while i am composing, or while i look
> at the message which i saved as .eml for you (i am impressed that you
> could use it to send anything, as i edited many headers manually). The
> errors will appear in the copy of the reply message that was kept in
> your reply folder, and in the copy received by your test receiver.

I didn't send the message. I just opened it - using TB as a viewer.
So it's not held in any folder in my instance of TB
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Is this Thunderbird addon possible?

Dave Royal
Balaco ocalaB <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "Amanhã"? (: -> Você sabe um pouquinho de português?

Only what I pick up from reading the words of Mariza songs!
And localising my addons:
<https://addons.thunderbird.net/pt-PT/thunderbird/addon/limit-non-bcc-recipients/>

It's the pronunciation I find so difficult -  compared with Spanish.

Em 20-07-2020 12:14, Dave Royal escreveu:

> Balaco ocalaB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The encoding errors do not appear while i am composing, or while i look
>> at the message which i saved as .eml for you (i am impressed that you
>> could use it to send anything, as i edited many headers manually). The
>> errors will appear in the copy of the reply message that was kept in
>> your reply folder, and in the copy received by your test receiver.
>>
> I didn't send the message. I just opened it - using TB as a viewer.
> So it's not held in any folder in my instance of TB

So the steps to reproduce the bug are not done. Everything you said
happens equal to me, when the bug happens (or will happen, since it is
in a future steps, from what you described).

--
=
       quem você é?
       to show who you are?

  2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
  2.b. You may do it here:

  https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: Is this Thunderbird addon possible?

Dave Royal
On 15 Jul 2020 22:01:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>When i compose messages from scratch, they always will use Unicode
>encoding - this is how i setup my TB.
>
>When i receive messages from a hotmail account, their encoding is
>Western (is this the right name in English? I am translating what i see
>in my language, portuguese, which is "Ocidental"). If i simply reply to
>such a message, it will *ALWAYS* have encoding errors with all
>accentuated letters, that my language uses. For the characters that
>appear where the letters were, it is clearly an error of forced encoding
>convertion of ISO-LATIN-1 to UTF-8, or viceversa.

It's clear from the earlier sub-thread that I misunderstand what you see and
what you do when you replay to your friend. I thought that you see these
mis-displayed characters in the compose window and that you change the view
to unicode to make them display correctly before typing your reply.

But in another post you said:
> The encoding errors do not appear while i am composing ...
> The errors will appear in the copy of the reply message that was ...
> ... received by your test receiver.

Please explain again. If you just reply, who sees the mis-displayed
characters? If it's only the recipient then the problem is not with TB.

My test, with your message, just proves that the message was correctly
encoded. You should not have to do anything special.

In answer to your original question, I can only say with that such an addon
is theoretically possible (as a legacy addon) but I don't know of anything
similar.

Em 21-07-2020 04:04, Dave Royal escreveu:

> On 15 Jul 2020 22:01:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> When i compose messages from scratch, they always will use Unicode
>> encoding - this is how i setup my TB.
>>
>> When i receive messages from a hotmail account, their encoding is
>> Western (is this the right name in English? I am translating what i see
>> in my language, portuguese, which is "Ocidental"). If i simply reply to
>> such a message, it will *ALWAYS* have encoding errors with all
>> accentuated letters, that my language uses. For the characters that
>> appear where the letters were, it is clearly an error of forced encoding
>> convertion of ISO-LATIN-1 to UTF-8, or viceversa.
>>
> It's clear from the earlier sub-thread that I misunderstand what you see and
> what you do when you replay to your friend. I thought that you see these
> mis-displayed characters in the compose window and that you change the view
> to unicode to make them display correctly before typing your reply.
>
> But in another post you said:
>> The encoding errors do not appear while i am composing ...
>> The errors will appear in the copy of the reply message that was ...
>> ... received by your test receiver.
>
> Please explain again. If you just reply, who sees the mis-displayed
> characters? If it's only the recipient then the problem is not with TB.
>
> My test, with your message, just proves that the message was correctly
> encoded. You should not have to do anything special.
>
> In answer to your original question, I can only say with that such an addon
> is theoretically possible (as a legacy addon) but I don't know of anything
> similar.

The characters are displayed correctly in the message window, and in the
reply composing window. I will not be aware of the problem, unless at
least one of these two things happen:

- the receiver tells me that there are wrong characters where accented
letters should be

- i check my sent folder, for the copy of the messsage. There, it will
display with wrong characters, and it will not change to the correct
ones if i manually change the character encoding with the menu

"See > Text codification > [Unicode | Western]"
(free translation of the words i see in my language!)

---------------
In the subthread i started before with you, with title "Re: The bug
happened with you!", i did this test now. I started it replying the
message you sent 2020/07/20 03:56 UTC-3. It display a "minuscule a with
tilde" as "maiuscule a with tilde, followed by pound sign". When i open
the menu to change codification, i see that it is in the Western one.
After i change to Unicode, the position where i wrote before the
"minuscule a with tilde" becomes correct. This is a good signal, but
what happens with email accounts is different by some reason.

---------------
Later i will make a post showing screeshots showing everything. I do not
do them quickly now because i want to edit the image to remove sensitive
information, of course. And this takes some time.

--
=

On 21 Jul 2020 15:13:02 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>[Em 21-07-2020 04:04, Dave Royal escreveu:]
>> On 15 Jul 2020 22:01:55 -0300 Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>
>The characters are displayed correctly in the message window, and in the
>reply composing window. I will not be aware of the problem, unless at
>least one of these two things happen:
>
>- the receiver tells me that there are wrong characters where accented
>letters should be
>
>- i check my sent folder, for the copy of the messsage. There, it will
>display with wrong characters, and it will not change to the correct
>ones if i manually change the character encoding with the menu

The message you put on pastebin was the message you received from your
friend. My test indicates it is correctly encoded.

It would be interesting to see your reply, one with accented characters in
the compose window all shown correctly, and with no manual change of coding
by you. Save it from your sent box. This is the message that your friend
reports is faulty, yes? I could then check whether it too looks valid.

Of course, the message in your sent box my not be identical to the one your
friend receives. But one step at a time!

--
(Remove numerics from email address)