Is there a difference between Turn on/off and Enable/Disable?

Is there a difference between Turn on/off and Enable/Disable?

Eduardo Trápani
Hi,

For "Content Blocking" we have both "Enable/Disable" in
browser.properties and "Turn On/Off" in preferences.ftl.

Should we consider them synonyms? Just for "Content Blocking" or across
all products?

Eduardo.

Re: Is there a difference between Turn on/off and Enable/Disable?

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
I would consider them synonyms, across the product.

Enable/disable sounds a bit more formal, so it might come down to the
tone used in your translations, but they're basically interchangeable.
Space might also be a factor in picking one or the other.

Francesco

> Hi,
>
> For "Content Blocking" we have both "Enable/Disable" in
> browser.properties and "Turn On/Off" in preferences.ftl.
>
> Should we consider them synonyms? Just for "Content Blocking" or
> across all products?
>
> Eduardo.

Re: Is there a difference between Turn on/off and Enable/Disable?

Ehsan Akhgari
They're mostly synonyms, yes.  But here is how these strings are used in
the en-US product:

contentBlocking.toggle.enable.tooltip and
contentBlocking.toggle.disable.tooltip are used as the tooltips of the
toggle checkbox for Content Blocking in the main application menu.

Note that in the Control Centre (accessible from the site identity dialog)
we use "Enable" and "Disable" to refer to the buttons in the UI that allow
the user to enable or disable Content Blocking for the current website they
are viewing.  Those buttons are intended to be used by the user in case
Content Blocking is causing something on the website to break.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:18 AM Francesco Lodolo [:flod] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would consider them synonyms, across the product.
>
> Enable/disable sounds a bit more formal, so it might come down to the
> tone used in your translations, but they're basically interchangeable.
> Space might also be a factor in picking one or the other.
>
> Francesco
> > Hi,
> >
> > For "Content Blocking" we have both "Enable/Disable" in
> > browser.properties and "Turn On/Off" in preferences.ftl.
> >
> > Should we consider them synonyms? Just for "Content Blocking" or
> > across all products?
> >
> > Eduardo.

Ehsan