Is it possible to have the same SoftWare to work on both FF2 and FF3 ?

Is it possible to have the same SoftWare to work on both FF2 and FF3 ?

Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina
Hi,

I had a component that works on FF 2, it was compiled using Gecko 1.8
I did port it to FF3 by recompiling and linking it against xulrunner 1.9.

But when I try to put it to work on FF2 I get all the sort of strange errors, like stack corrupted, etc.

My question is if is it possible to have the same component working on FF2 and FF3 ?

Or do I have to have two versions (.dlls) of the same component, one built against Gecko 1.8 and the other against sdk 1.9?

Thanks in advance for any advices/help on this

Best,
Oliveiros

Re: Is it possible to have the same SoftWare to work on both FF2 and FF3 ?

Aaron Leventhal-3
Your dll must be recompiled for each version of Firefox that you want it
to work with. You should probably even recompile for point releases
(e.g. the difference between Firefox 3.01 and 3.02), although sometimes
you might be able to get away with not doing it. It's dangerous, though.

- Aaron

On 9/26/2008 4:38 PM, Oliveiros Cristina wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a component that works on FF 2, it was compiled using Gecko 1.8
> I did port it to FF3 by recompiling and linking it against xulrunner 1.9.
>
> But when I try to put it to work on FF2 I get all the sort of strange errors, like stack corrupted, etc.
>
> My question is if is it possible to have the same component working on FF2 and FF3 ?
>
> Or do I have to have two versions (.dlls) of the same component, one built against Gecko 1.8 and the other against sdk 1.9?
>

> Thanks in advance for any advices/help on this
>
> Best,
> Oliveiros

Re: Is it possible to have the same SoftWare to work on both FF2and FF3 ?

Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina
Hello, Aaron,
thank you for your e-mail.

I understand that a .dll must be recompiled for each new SDK that is
released (in my case I have gecko 1.8 sdk
and xulrunner 1.9 sdk).

I fail to understand, though, why the need to recompile it for point
releases, unless the SDK is changed...

If the point release changes, but all the sdk remains the same (the same .h
and .libs ) what is
exactly the need to recompile if the environment remains pretty much the
same?

Maybe I didn't understand exactly what you explained.

Thanks
in advance for your help

Best,
Oliveiros

> Your dll must be recompiled for each version of Firefox that you want it
> to work with. You should probably even recompile for point releases
> (e.g. the difference between Firefox 3.01 and 3.02), although sometimes
> you might be able to get away with not doing it. It's dangerous, though.
>
> - Aaron
>
> On 9/26/2008 4:38 PM, Oliveiros Cristina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a component that works on FF 2, it was compiled using Gecko 1.8
>> I did port it to FF3 by recompiling and linking it against xulrunner 1.9.
>>
>> But when I try to put it to work on FF2 I get all the sort of strange
>> errors, like stack corrupted, etc.
>>
>> My question is if is it possible to have the same component working on
>> FF2 and FF3 ?
>>
>> Or do I have to have two versions (.dlls) of the same component, one
>> built against Gecko 1.8 and the other against sdk 1.9?
>>

>> Thanks in advance for any advices/help on this
>>
>> Best,
>> Oliveiros

Re: Is it possible to have the same SoftWare to work on both FF2and FF3 ?

Aaron Leventhal-3
It depends on what interfaces you build with.

Some interfaces may not be considered frozen and may change. Let's say
fixing a security or accessibility bug requires changing some internal
interface you found.

I don't know what interfaces you use so how can I say?

That said, any interfaces that are scriptable won't change, since
Firefox extensions might use them.

- Aaron

On 9/30/2008 7:07 PM, Oliveiros Cristina wrote:

> Hello, Aaron,
> thank you for your e-mail.
>
> I understand that a .dll must be recompiled for each new SDK that is
> released (in my case I have gecko 1.8 sdk
> and xulrunner 1.9 sdk).
>
> I fail to understand, though, why the need to recompile it for point
> releases, unless the SDK is changed...
>
> If the point release changes, but all the sdk remains the same (the
> same .h and .libs ) what is
> exactly the need to recompile if the environment remains pretty much
> the same?
>
> Maybe I didn't understand exactly what you explained.
>
> Thanks
> in advance for your help
>
> Best,
> Oliveiros