Is Junk Mail training updated when mail is junked/unjunked manually?

Is Junk Mail training updated when mail is junked/unjunked manually?

Christer Jacobsson
Hi!

I use Moz 7.13 dated 2006-04-25 as my browser and mail client. After
being deluged by junk mail I decided to use the junkmail control
function to bring down the amount that I have to mark manually as junk.
I did this in the following steps:

1. Enabled and configured Junk Mail Controls. Emails coming from senders
   in my Adress Book is not considered as junk. Junked mail are deleted
   after seven days in the Junk folder.
2. Trained Junkmail Control by running over my inbox containing 400+
   messages.
3. Checked Inbox for uncaught junk mail which I junked manually.
4. Checked Junk mail folder for incorrectly junked mail: these were
   unjunked and moved back to the Inbox.

Nowadays the majority of the real junkmail is correctly marked as Junk
and moved to the Junk folder but sometimes junk mail is left in the
Inbox and I have to junk it manually. Similarily, real mail is sometimes
marked as Junk and I have to unjunk/move it back to the Inbox manually.

My question is this: Is the junk mail training updated when I manually
junk and unjunk mail or must Junk Mail Training be rerun over the Inbox
to update the junk mail training?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 10rd Anniversary & 25th Wedding Anniversary! :-))
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Is Junk Mail training updated when mail is junked/unjunked manually?

Peter Weilbacher
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> My question is this: Is the junk mail training updated when I manually
> junk and unjunk mail or must Junk Mail Training be rerun over the Inbox
> to update the junk mail training?

I think it is but I don't have very much experience with it.
--
Please      Unofficial builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
reply in        (reload the _frame_ for the current version of the page)

Re: Is Junk Mail training updated when mail is junked/unjunked manually?

Lewis Rosenthal
On 07/17/06 03:09 pm, Christer Jacobsson thus wrote :

<snip>
> My question is this: Is the junk mail training updated when I manually
> junk and unjunk mail or must Junk Mail Training be rerun over the Inbox
> to update the junk mail training?

It is supposed to learn from manual marking/unmarking.

A couple MozillaZine threads for you:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=424529&
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=434869&highlight=

 From the MozillaZine kb:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls#Training_the_Junk_Mail_Controls

And an extra:

http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/extra/using-junk-control.html

HTH

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE

Re: Is Junk Mail training updated when mail is junked/unjunked manually?

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I use Moz 7.13 dated 2006-04-25 as my browser and mail client. After
> being deluged by junk mail I decided to use the junkmail control
> function to bring down the amount that I have to mark manually as junk.
> I did this in the following steps:
>
> 1. Enabled and configured Junk Mail Controls. Emails coming from senders
>    in my Adress Book is not considered as junk. Junked mail are deleted
>    after seven days in the Junk folder.
> 2. Trained Junkmail Control by running over my inbox containing 400+
>    messages.
> 3. Checked Inbox for uncaught junk mail which I junked manually.
> 4. Checked Junk mail folder for incorrectly junked mail: these were
>    unjunked and moved back to the Inbox.
>
> Nowadays the majority of the real junkmail is correctly marked as Junk
> and moved to the Junk folder but sometimes junk mail is left in the
> Inbox and I have to junk it manually. Similarily, real mail is sometimes
> marked as Junk and I have to unjunk/move it back to the Inbox manually.
>
> My question is this: Is the junk mail training updated when I manually
> junk and unjunk mail or must Junk Mail Training be rerun over the Inbox
> to update the junk mail training?

For stuff in my Junk folder, I run the training on the folder.  It marks
the files it thinks is junk.  These I move to the trash folder.  The
ones that failed to be marked, I manually mark them and run the training
again.  Repeat the above until everything has been moved to trash.  This
seems to be the faster way of getting the filter to learn junk.  After
emptying Junk, I run the training on the inbox and move back the wrong
choices.  Repeat until everything remains in inbox.  Depending on how
fast the Junk folder fills to over 200 items, is about how often I do
this training - a couple times per year.  It seems from here that ISPs
are doing a better job of source filtering of junk.

The others answered your primary question about manual marking.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!