Intl currency formatting and minimum significant digits

Intl currency formatting and minimum significant digits

Zach Lym
I recently ran into a discrepancy between Chrome and Firefox's
implementation of Intl's currency formatting mechanism and the
official spec.  I didn't want the output to have any significant
digits so I used the following:

    new Intl.NumberFormat('en-US', {maximumSignificantDigits: 0,
currency: 'USD', style: 'currency', currencyDisplay: "symbol"});

This works fine on Chrome and Firefox but the polyfill threw an error
and the standard appears to require at least one significant digit.

I strongly believe the spec should be changed to remove the
requirement that the output contain any significant digits.

Thank you,
-Zach Lym

Re: Intl currency formatting and minimum significant digits

Boris Zbarsky
On 10/22/16 12:52 AM, Zach Lym wrote:
> I recently ran into a discrepancy between Chrome and Firefox's
> implementation of Intl's currency formatting mechanism and the
> official spec.  I didn't want the output to have any significant
> digits so I used the following:
>
>     new Intl.NumberFormat('en-US', {maximumSignificantDigits: 0,
> currency: 'USD', style: 'currency', currencyDisplay: "symbol"});
>
> This works fine on Chrome and Firefox

It does?  When I do that in Firefox I get an exception:

   RangeError: invalid digits value: 0

What would it even mean to have 0 significant digits?  Mathematically
that makes no sense; if you have a digit at all, it's presumably
significant so the smallest number of significant digits that makes
sense is 1.  Which is what the spec and the polyfill and Firefox (and
Safari; I just checked) do.  Sounds like V8 just has a bug.

I filed https://bugs.chromium.org/p/v8/issues/detail?id=5554 on V8.

-Boris