Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Simon Paquet-2
Hi guys,

last week David Ascher and I discussed the state of Thunderbird
localization on the trunk with regards to future pre-releases (codename
Shredder) of the next major Thunderbird milestone, Thunderbird 3.

As some of you may know, the first pre-release Shredder alpha 1 was
only released in English. Since many testers in the community come from
places where English isn't the native language it might make sense to
push out localized releases of future pre-releases as well to broaden
the range of possible testers.

My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
following beta release(s)?

Looking at the tinderboxen right now, this is the current status:

Green tinderbox:
================
cs, de, fr, pl

Orange tinderbox:
=================
be, es-ES, ko, lt, nb-NO, nn-NO, ru, sv-SE, tr

Red tinderbox:
==============
af, bg, ca, da, el, en-GB, es-AR, eu, fi, ga-IE, gu-IN, he, hu, it,
ja, ja-JP-mac, mk, mn, nl,pa-IN, pt-BR, ro, sk, sl, zh-CN, zh-TW

I expect that the teams that currently have green tinderboxen will
continue to keep their localization up-to-date and will therefore
have no problems in opting in to do a localized pre-release.

My question therefore goes out mainly to the other teams, whether
they would be interested in doing localized pre-releases or if they
only have the resources to jump in when the final release is
approaching.

Thanks in advance guys
Simon

--
Calendar l10n coordinator
Calendar Website Maintainer: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Axel Hecht
Is there any decision yet on what you're actually asking people to do?

Like, which reps are involved, how does it get built, which things do
you need to pull and watch and update etc?

Axel

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

F Wolff-2
On Ma, 2008-06-02 at 15:40 +0200, Simon Paquet wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> last week David Ascher and I discussed the state of Thunderbird
> localization on the trunk with regards to future pre-releases (codename
> Shredder) of the next major Thunderbird milestone, Thunderbird 3.
>
> As some of you may know, the first pre-release Shredder alpha 1 was
> only released in English. Since many testers in the community come from
> places where English isn't the native language it might make sense to
> push out localized releases of future pre-releases as well to broaden
> the range of possible testers.
>
> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
> following beta release(s)?

Hallo Simon

The Afrikaans (af) as a rule only get involved in translating official
releases. Any developers getting involved in testing will most likely
understand English well.

Keep well
Friedel

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

wladow-2
Simon Paquet  wrote / napísal(a):
> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
> following beta release(s)?

sk will be there for sure

--

wladow

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Kevin Scannell-2
On Jun 2, 8:40 am, Simon Paquet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> last week David Ascher and I discussed the state of Thunderbird
> localization on the trunk with regards to future pre-releases (codename
> Shredder) of the next major Thunderbird milestone, Thunderbird 3.
>
> As some of you may know, the first pre-release Shredder alpha 1 was
> only released in English. Since many testers in the community come from
> places where English isn't the native language it might make sense to
> push out localized releases of future pre-releases as well to broaden
> the range of possible testers.
>
> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
> following beta release(s)?

Irish (ga-IE) Thunderbird is almost 100% translated - our tinderbox
will go green next time I check in.   I'm willing to keep it green for
pre-releases.
Kevin

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Toni Hermoso Pulido

After Firefox 3 release, our community will be able to focus more on the
rest of products. And we would try to be green again.

Cheers!

En/na Simon Paquet ha escrit:

> Hi guys,
>
> last week David Ascher and I discussed the state of Thunderbird
> localization on the trunk with regards to future pre-releases (codename
> Shredder) of the next major Thunderbird milestone, Thunderbird 3.
>
> As some of you may know, the first pre-release Shredder alpha 1 was
> only released in English. Since many testers in the community come from
> places where English isn't the native language it might make sense to
> push out localized releases of future pre-releases as well to broaden
> the range of possible testers.
>
> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
> following beta release(s)?
>
> Looking at the tinderboxen right now, this is the current status:
>
> Green tinderbox:
> ================
> cs, de, fr, pl
>
> Orange tinderbox:
> =================
> be, es-ES, ko, lt, nb-NO, nn-NO, ru, sv-SE, tr
>
> Red tinderbox:
> ==============
> af, bg, ca, da, el, en-GB, es-AR, eu, fi, ga-IE, gu-IN, he, hu, it,
> ja, ja-JP-mac, mk, mn, nl,pa-IN, pt-BR, ro, sk, sl, zh-CN, zh-TW
>

> I expect that the teams that currently have green tinderboxen will
> continue to keep their localization up-to-date and will therefore
> have no problems in opting in to do a localized pre-release.
>
> My question therefore goes out mainly to the other teams, whether
> they would be interested in doing localized pre-releases or if they
> only have the resources to jump in when the final release is
> approaching.

- --
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Toni Hermoso Pulido
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> After Firefox 3 release, our community will be able to focus more on the
> rest of products. And we would try to be green again.
>
> Cheers!

Apply the same for Basque.

Julen.

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Cédric Corazza
Simon Paquet a écrit :
> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
> following beta release(s)?
Hi,

The French locale is opting in.

Regards

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Alexander L. Slovesnik
> My question therefore goes out mainly to the other teams, whether
> they would be interested in doing localized pre-releases or if they
> only have the resources to jump in when the final release is
> approaching.

Russian locale is opting in.

--
Sincerely yours,
  Alexander L. Slovesnik a.k.a. Unghost

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Stefan Plewako
Simon Paquet pisze:
> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
> following beta release(s)?

Hey Simon

Polish team is interested in every possible localized release, we are green almost all the time so, it shouldn't be a problem - however it would be useful to know some details, like mentioned by Axel, possible dates or any other thing that will be needed to actually opt-in.

Regards,
Stefan Plewako

--
Aviary.pl l10n team
http://www.aviary.pl

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Simon Paquet-3
Axel Hecht wrote:

>Is there any decision yet on what you're actually asking people to do?

Well, right now we're not asking for anything yet. We only want to get a
feeling for the current state of TB pre-release localization willingness.

>Like, which reps are involved,

Thunderbird 3 is currently developed on the CVS trunk. No decisions have
been made towards a switch to another repository that I'm aware of.

>how does it get built, which things do you need to pull and watch and
>update etc?

As TB development has not yet switched to another repo, these questions
are currently irrelevant and will likely stay irrelevant at least until
the next pre-release Shredder a2 (alpha 2).

Simon

Stefan Plewako wrote:

>> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
>> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
>> following beta release(s)?
>
>Hey Simon
>
>Polish team is interested in every possible localized release, we are
>green almost all the time so, it shouldn't be a problem - however it
>would be useful to know some details, like mentioned by Axel,
>possible dates or any other thing that will be needed to actually
>opt-in.

Sure thing.

- The next release (Shredder a2) will come from the cvs trunk, so no
  change to what's there right now
- The next release is currently scheduled for a timeframe ranging from
  mid-July to the end of July
- Code freeze for the pre-release is scheduled for the 8th of July
- There will most likely be no string freeze before the code freeze. The
  string freeze will coincide with the code freeze.

Is there anything more you need to know?

Simon

Simon Paquet pisze:
> Is there anything more you need to know?

No, that should be enough.

Thanks!
Stef

--
Aviary.pl l10n team
http://www.aviary.pl

Simon Paquet wrote:

> Stefan Plewako wrote:
>
>>> My question is, which of the localizing teams would be interested in
>>> doing localized releases of the next alpha release (alpha 2) and the
>>> following beta release(s)?
>> Hey Simon
>>
>> Polish team is interested in every possible localized release, we are
>> green almost all the time so, it shouldn't be a problem - however it
>> would be useful to know some details, like mentioned by Axel,
>> possible dates or any other thing that will be needed to actually
>> opt-in.
>
> Sure thing.
>
> - The next release (Shredder a2) will come from the cvs trunk, so no
>   change to what's there right now
> - The next release is currently scheduled for a timeframe ranging from
>   mid-July to the end of July
> - Code freeze for the pre-release is scheduled for the 8th of July
> - There will most likely be no string freeze before the code freeze. The
>   string freeze will coincide with the code freeze.
>
> Is there anything more you need to know?

What we tried to do for Firefox was to actually do a string freeze on
the Friday before code freeze. That way, localizers have the weekend,
possibly Monday, to catch up, while the weekend is hopefully not having
that many landings anymore anyway. I know that we pretty much blasted
that concept for Beta1, but after that, it mostly worked.

Might be something to aim at.

I'm not sure if I can offer to host shredder builds on l10n.m.o. The
quick turnaround times of that significantly helped in shipping the
"best effort" builds on fx, IMHO.

The actual builds is less of a problem than the reporting
infrastructure, I guess.

I'm not sure if we have a good handle on getting more manpower on the
problem, sadly.

Axel

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Robert Kaiser
Simon Paquet wrote:
> Thunderbird 3 is currently developed on the CVS trunk. No decisions have
> been made towards a switch to another repository that I'm aware of.

Well, it's being very actively discussed to switch to 1.9.1, which sits
in hg - but nothing has been decided yet.
The L10n story for that fully depends on what strucuture the source will
be in - and SeaMonkey has the same problem, so at least we can figure
this out together.

Robert Kaiser

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Mad Maks
The nl tinderboxes are green and i hope to keep them green for the
thunderbird alpha release

Greetings Tim Maks

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Ankit Patel
What's the deadline to complete the Thunderbird 3 translations?

      Best Jokes, Best Friends, Best Food and more. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/

Axel Hecht wrote:

> Simon Paquet wrote:

>>> Hey Simon
>>>
>>> Polish team is interested in every possible localized release, we are
>>> green almost all the time so, it shouldn't be a problem - however it
>>> would be useful to know some details, like mentioned by Axel,
>>> possible dates or any other thing that will be needed to actually
>>> opt-in.
>>
>> Sure thing.
>>
>> - The next release (Shredder a2) will come from the cvs trunk, so no
>> change to what's there right now
>> - The next release is currently scheduled for a timeframe ranging from
>>   mid-July to the end of July
>> - Code freeze for the pre-release is scheduled for the 8th of July
>> - There will most likely be no string freeze before the code freeze.
>> The   string freeze will coincide with the code freeze.
>>
>> Is there anything more you need to know?
>
> What we tried to do for Firefox was to actually do a string freeze on
> the Friday before code freeze. That way, localizers have the weekend,
> possibly Monday, to catch up, while the weekend is hopefully not having
> that many landings anymore anyway. I know that we pretty much blasted
> that concept for Beta1, but after that, it mostly worked.
>
> Might be something to aim at.
>
> I'm not sure if I can offer to host shredder builds on l10n.m.o. The
> quick turnaround times of that significantly helped in shipping the
> "best effort" builds on fx, IMHO.
>
> The actual builds is less of a problem than the reporting
> infrastructure, I guess.
>
> I'm not sure if we have a good handle on getting more manpower on the
> problem, sadly.

grr, mailnews uses

foo = this is a rather \
long sentence.

i.e., \ to escape the newline. My parsers currently don't support that :-(

So for those of you that try to run compare-locales, python version,
you'll see missing entites like "_junk_9_12278-12407".

pl/mail/chrome/messenger
imapMsgs.properties
_junk_9_12278-12407
messenger.properties
_junk_10_12533-12932

to be precise. Those that just use the perl version will not see their
utf-8 encoding problems and such. Great deal.

More to come.

Axel

Re: Interest in localized Thunderbird 3 pre-releases?

Sarves K
Hi

We are from Sri Lanka. We already localized Thunderbird 2.x in Sinhala
(si) and Tamil (ta-LK) and they are available in AMO.
We would like to commit them for Thunderbird 3.
How we can proceed this?

/Sarves
Sri Lanka

Ankit Patel wrote on 03. Jun 2008:

> What's the deadline to complete the Thunderbird 3 translations?

Ankit, just to make this clear right up-front. My inquiry was just
about pre-releases of Thunderbird 3 (codename Shredder), not the final
release.

The final release is not expected before the end of this year and no
deadlines have been finalized for it.

The next *pre-release* (Shredder alpha2) will happen between mid- and
end-July with a likely code/string freeze on July 8.

Simon