Installing Sunbird on Win/XP ?

Gershon Shamay
I must be missing an installation step... I download the latest Sunbird
for Windows, receive a .zip file. I unpack it and then [what should I do
?]. The collection of files includes sunbird.exe but just clicking on it
doe nothing. Is there another step ? Setup ? I need to do first ? There
ins't much documentation with it ...

Regards
Gershon

Re: Installing Sunbird on Win/XP ?

Allan McRae
Gershon Shamay wrote:
> I must be missing an installation step... I download the latest Sunbird
> for Windows, receive a .zip file. I unpack it and then [what should I do
> ?]. The collection of files includes sunbird.exe but just clicking on it
> doe nothing. Is there another step ? Setup ? I need to do first ? There
> ins't much documentation with it ...
>
> Regards
> Gershon

There currently is no installer for Sunbird so extracting the zip file
was all the was needed. I'm not sure why it isn't running though...

Allan

Re: Installing Sunbird on Win/XP ?

Christopher Jahn
Allan McRae <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:dnllsr$[hidden email]:

> Gershon Shamay wrote:
>> I must be missing an installation step... I download the
>> latest Sunbird for Windows, receive a .zip file. I unpack it
>> and then [what should I do ?]. The collection of files
>> includes sunbird.exe but just clicking on it doe nothing. Is
>> there another step ? Setup ? I need to do first ? There ins't
>> much documentation with it ...
>>
>> Regards
>> Gershon
>

> There currently is no installer for Sunbird so extracting the
> zip file was all the was needed. I'm not sure why it isn't
> running though...

You need to double click it, or right click and select "Open".

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

My veal cutlet tried to beat the shit out of my cup of coffee...
the coffee just wasn't strong enough to defend himself. (Tom
Waits)

Re: Installing Sunbird on Win/XP ?

Joey Minta
Gershon Shamay wrote:
> I must be missing an installation step... I download the latest Sunbird
> for Windows, receive a .zip file. I unpack it and then [what should I do
> ?]. The collection of files includes sunbird.exe but just clicking on it
> doe nothing. Is there another step ? Setup ? I need to do first ? There
> ins't much documentation with it ...
>
> Regards
> Gershon

You may need to start it up with the -ProfileManager, since there have
been reports that re-using a profile from 0.2 with Sunbird 0.3a1 causes
a crash early in the startup process.  Creating a new profile would
obviously help with that.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager for more details if you're
unsure how to do that.

-Joey

Re: Installing Sunbird on Win/XP ?

Gershon Shamay
Thanks everyone for the advice. Unzip was creating a flat collection of
files instead of the required directory structure. One click fixed that.
Then the second problem popped up (confusion over previous Sunbird
profile). Starting it with -ProfileManager flag resolved that. My
Sunbird is working now.
I hope the next release(es) will be able to clean up previous version
leftovers automatically ...

Joey Minta wrote:

> Gershon Shamay wrote:
>
>> I must be missing an installation step... I download the latest
>> Sunbird for Windows, receive a .zip file. I unpack it and then [what
>> should I do ?]. The collection of files includes sunbird.exe but just
>> clicking on it doe nothing. Is there another step ? Setup ? I need to
>> do first ? There ins't much documentation with it ...
>>
>> Regards
>> Gershon
>

> You may need to start it up with the -ProfileManager, since there have
> been reports that re-using a profile from 0.2 with Sunbird 0.3a1
> causes a crash early in the startup process.  Creating a new profile
> would obviously help with that.
>
> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager for more details if
> you're unsure how to do that.
>
> -Joey