Installing Firefox 38.2.1...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
I don't want to be a nuisance or start a prolonged thread, but I really
need some help in getting a recent FF to run. First I install eCS22b2
including RPM/Yum. Then I install the ANPM. Then I open the readme.os2
from FF38.2.1 and install all the listed packages, using ANPM.

When I selected freetype to install ANPM said that I first should remove
certain dll's that were presently in use. How do identify and remove
these dll's?

ANPM cannot find Pango at Netlabs repository. I suppose I must create a
platform file in x:\etc\RPM\ containing the entry "i686-OS/2-OS/2", and
then use ANPM to install Pango. Is that right. Could I just copy some
dll's somewhere, maybe x:\ecs\dll?

Will I still need some more packages to get FF 38.2.1 to run?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Installing Firefox 38.2.1...?

Doug Bissett-2
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 20:25:23 UTC, Martin Rosenfeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't want to be a nuisance or start a prolonged thread, but I really
> need some help in getting a recent FF to run. First I install eCS22b2
> including RPM/Yum. Then I install the ANPM. Then I open the readme.os2
> from FF38.2.1 and install all the listed packages, using ANPM.

First, did you follow the instructions at:

> https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/anpm/non-updated-systems/

for a non-updated YUM install? YUM cannot update itself, if you
didn't, and that can mean that other things won't work either.

> When I selected freetype to install ANPM said that I first should remove
> certain dll's that were presently in use. How do identify and remove
> these dll's?

I just ignored that, an did did the update. Just be sure to REBOOT
after you do the updates so that the old DLLs are no longer used. The
problem is that you have some of the DLLs in the old locations
(probably \eCS\DLL), and doing the update with ANPM will put them into
<@UNIXROOT>/usr/lib which should be near the front of the LIBPATH
statement in CONFIG.SYS. That should make the system use the new DLLs.

> ANPM cannot find Pango at Netlabs repository. I suppose I must create a
> platform file in x:\etc\RPM\ containing the entry "i686-OS/2-OS/2", and
> then use ANPM to install Pango. Is that right. Could I just copy some
> dll's somewhere, maybe x:\ecs\dll?

ANPM should handle that properly, but it may not be working properly,
if you didn't follow the instructions on the page mentioned above.

> Will I still need some more packages to get FF 38.2.1 to run?

ANPM did what I needed, but YUM needs to work.

> Martin Rosenfeld

HTH...
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Re: Installing Firefox 38.2.1...?

Steve Wendt
On 03/13/2016 01:25 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Could I just copy some dll's somewhere, maybe x:\ecs\dll?

If you are still wanting to fight with Yum, Doug is offering advice for
that.  Otherwise, as stated before, you can find all you need here:
http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

Re: Installing Firefox 38.2.1...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Doug,

> First, did you follow the instructions at:
>
>> https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/anpm/non-updated-systems/
>
> for a non-updated YUM install? YUM cannot update itself, if you
> didn't, and that can mean that other things won't work either.
>
>> When I selected freetype to install ANPM said that I first should remove
>> certain dll's that were presently in use. How do identify and remove
>> these dll's?
>
> I just ignored that, an did did the update. Just be sure to REBOOT
> after you do the updates so that the old DLLs are no longer used. The
> problem is that you have some of the DLLs in the old locations
> (probably \eCS\DLL), and doing the update with ANPM will put them into
> <@UNIXROOT>/usr/lib which should be near the front of the LIBPATH
> statement in CONFIG.SYS. That should make the system use the new DLLs.
>
>> ANPM cannot find Pango at Netlabs repository. I suppose I must create a
>> platform file in x:\etc\RPM\ containing the entry "i686-OS/2-OS/2", and
>> then use ANPM to install Pango. Is that right. Could I just copy some
>> dll's somewhere, maybe x:\ecs\dll?
>
> ANPM should handle that properly, but it may not be working properly,
> if you didn't follow the instructions on the page mentioned above.

Thanks for the advice. I followed your scheme exactly except that ANPM
could not find any Pango at Netlabs until I created a platform file in
x:\etc\rpm containing this single line, "i686-OS/2-OS/2". Then Pango got
installed and FF 38.2.1 ran well (with its known bugs). Now, my next
question: Should I leave the platform set to i686 and download any
future packages for any purpose for i686 instead of i386?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Installing Firefox 38.2.1...?

Dave Yeo-3
On 03/14/16 11:50 AM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> Now, my next question: Should I leave the platform set to i686 and
> download any future packages for any purpose for i686 instead of i386?

i386 has been depreciated so yes, you should stick to i686. On most all
CPU's, i686 will also give a slight performance boost
Dave