Input lag on Pontoon

Baurzhan Muftakhidinov
Dear all,

Is that just me, or is there an input lag on Pontoon?
I haven't worked on translations for a while, now I returned, and I
see the interface has changed. Now, when I type, I notice a lag
between pressing the key and letter appearing in input field in
Pontoon. It is tolerable, but still. Before I can't remember seeing it
on the same laptop.
Browser is our beloved Nighlty build.

Re: Input lag on Pontoon

Matjaz Horvat-2
Hi Baurzhan,

What OS and hardware (CPU, RAM) are you using?

We haven't heard complaints about performance regressions since we
shipped the new Translate application and our performance metrics show
a slight improvement over the old code:
https://blog.mozilla.org/l10n/2019/09/30/here-comes-pontoons-new-translate-application/

Thanks,
Matjaž

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 5:53 PM Baurzhan Muftakhidinov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is that just me, or is there an input lag on Pontoon?
> I haven't worked on translations for a while, now I returned, and I
> see the interface has changed. Now, when I type, I notice a lag
> between pressing the key and letter appearing in input field in
> Pontoon. It is tolerable, but still. Before I can't remember seeing it
> on the same laptop.
> Browser is our beloved Nighlty build.
>
> Thanks,

Re: Input lag on Pontoon

Adrian Gaudebert
Hello,

You're actually not the first one to complain about this (but the other one
happened in private :) ). What we're talking about here is not page load
performance, but CPU usage of the page. When you type in the editor field
of this new translate page, a lot of things happen behind the scenes, and
it seems your computer is not able to do those things fast enough, leading
to there having a delay between typing and letters appearing.

I have it on my todo list to investigate and improve this, but never got
the time to do it so far. Thanks for reporting, I'll make sure to move this
up the priority list!

Cheers,
Adrian

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 2:09 PM Matjaz Horvat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Baurzhan,
>
> What OS and hardware (CPU, RAM) are you using?
>
> We haven't heard complaints about performance regressions since we
> shipped the new Translate application and our performance metrics show
> a slight improvement over the old code:
>
> https://blog.mozilla.org/l10n/2019/09/30/here-comes-pontoons-new-translate-application/
>
> Thanks,
> Matjaž
>
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 5:53 PM Baurzhan Muftakhidinov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Is that just me, or is there an input lag on Pontoon?
> > I haven't worked on translations for a while, now I returned, and I
> > see the interface has changed. Now, when I type, I notice a lag
> > between pressing the key and letter appearing in input field in
> > Pontoon. It is tolerable, but still. Before I can't remember seeing it
> > on the same laptop.
> > Browser is our beloved Nighlty build.
> >
> > Thanks,

Re: Input lag on Pontoon

Baurzhan Muftakhidinov
Hello,

I am using rather old HP laptop with core i5-2450M and 8 GB of RAM, OS
is Fedora 31 64-bit.

My workflow is that I click on Untranslated messages in Firefox and
translate one by one,
without choosing subresources first. Maybe such filtering imposes load on CPU.

Thanks, will wait for improvements,