Info about Firefox 3 localization

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Info about Firefox 3 localization

flod
Hi everybody,
our lead localizer is having some personal problems and I need to start
Firefox 3 Italian localization. Unfortunately I'm totally new to this
kind of stuff, so I need a little help.

I downloaded these folders from CVS
(:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot):

mozilla/browser/locales/en-US/
mozilla/toolkit/locales/en-US/
mozilla/dom/locales/en-US/
mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales/en-US
mozilla/netwerk/locales/en-US/
mozilla/other-licenses/branding/firefox/locales/en-US/
mozilla/security/manager/locales/en-US/

Do I need other folders to start? Is there a specific TAG to use?

Last question: does exist an updated document or tutorial to start
Firefox localization with CVS and Mozilla Translator (in particular this
one)?

Thanks,
Francesco.




_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

Channy Yun-3
Francesco,

Firstly you've better Italian localization tree from en-US locale.
Refer to: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_en-X-dude

And diff them with Firefox 2.0 italian tree or import it in Moztranslator.
Finally, you must commit them to l10n trunk repository.
For doing that, you must have cvs access account.

Channy


On Nov 17, 2007 11:39 PM, Francesco Lodolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> our lead localizer is having some personal problems and I need to start
> Firefox 3 Italian localization. Unfortunately I'm totally new to this
> kind of stuff, so I need a little help.
>
> I downloaded these folders from CVS
> (:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot):
>
> mozilla/browser/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/toolkit/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/dom/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales/en-US
> mozilla/netwerk/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/other-licenses/branding/firefox/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/security/manager/locales/en-US/
>
> Do I need other folders to start? Is there a specific TAG to use?
>
> Last question: does exist an updated document or tutorial to start
> Firefox localization with CVS and Mozilla Translator (in particular this
> one)?
>
> Thanks,
> Francesco.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> dev-l10n mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
>
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by flod
Francesco Lodolo wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> our lead localizer is having some personal problems and I need to start
> Firefox 3 Italian localization. Unfortunately I'm totally new to this
> kind of stuff, so I need a little help.
>
> I downloaded these folders from CVS
> (:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot):
>
> mozilla/browser/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/toolkit/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/dom/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales/en-US
> mozilla/netwerk/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/other-licenses/branding/firefox/locales/en-US/
> mozilla/security/manager/locales/en-US/
>
> Do I need other folders to start? Is there a specific TAG to use?
>
> Last question: does exist an updated document or tutorial to start
> Firefox localization with CVS and Mozilla Translator (in particular this
> one)?
>

Right now, the real problem is to find out where to start from, from
trunk or from branch. I looked at the difference between the branch
(which is what we use for fx2 right now) and the trunk (for fx3pre).
Sadly, they're not in synch, and I'm having a hard time finding out
what's supposed to be where.

I'd suggest to have both and start from trunk, and if you see something
that's odd, to compare to the branch tree.

I attached a sequence of bash shell commands that should get all your
trees into some determined shape. Use MozillaBuild if you're on windows.

The script ends with a

compare-locales it

in src/trunk. I wish the output would be a tad more helpful for your
sitation. A more diff-like thing would be good. Like in
chrome/browser/preferences/advanced.dtd, it misses verify2.label and
.accesskey, and verify.label and .accesskey are obsolete. Which is
really hard to find.

Anybody in to writing a tool that makes that easier? Even just an output
routine would help at first, then we can still tell people to look at
bonsai's blame.
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsblame.cgi?file=/mozilla/browser/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/preferences/advanced.dtd&rev=1.26&mark=82-83#80,
which shows to me that kaie didn't fix that bug in the best way. Why
would one call "Validate" verify2.label. Hrm.

Anyway, something like

browser
   chrome/browser/preferences/advanced.dtd
     -verify.accesskey
     +verify2.accesskey
     -verify.label
     +verify2.label

would probably help a good deal already.

Axel
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

Axel Hecht
Axel Hecht wrote:

Duh.

> Francesco Lodolo wrote:


>
> I attached a sequence of bash shell commands that should get all your
> trees into some determined shape. Use MozillaBuild if you're on windows.

Attaching now for real.

Run this with

. path/to/it-tree.sh

in an empty dir, and you'll end up with a directory structure like this

src
  trunk
   mozilla
   l10n/it
  MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH
   mozilla
   l10n/it

Well, the dir doesn't have to be empty, but I'll overwrite anything you
had in any of the dirs above, most likely.

Axel


mkdir src
cd src
mkdir MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH
cd MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot co -r MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH mozilla/client.mk
cd mozilla
make -f client.mk l10n-checkout MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser MOZ_CO_LOCALES=it
cd ../..
mkdir trunk
cd trunk
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot co mozilla/client.mk
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot co mozilla/testing/tests/l10n
cd mozilla/testing/tests/l10n
python setup.py install
cd ../../../
make -f client.mk l10n-checkout MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser MOZ_CO_LOCALES=it
cd ..
compare-locales it

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

flod
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
Thanks both for the advice, I hope to start working on it in the next
hours ;-)

Francesco.
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
In reply to this post by flod
Francesco Lodolo escribió:
>
> Last question: does exist an updated document or tutorial to start
> Firefox localization with CVS and Mozilla Translator (in particular this
> one)?


I missed this part, sorry.

MozillaTranslator download includes a manual in PDF format, that you
can also find here:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:MozillaTranslator

I started to write something just like you are asking, but sadly I
stalled at about 50%. What I wrote is here:

http://www.proyectonave.es/docs/tutMTCVS-2.php

Do you ask about MT because the previous italian localizer used it? If
so, I didn't find too many problems to update our Fx2 glossary to Fx3
(although I did it just after Fx2 release, so I didn't have to manage
a huge diffset). I can try to help you to set up your environment, if
you want. We can meet in a IRC session or something alike.

HTH

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

flod
Ricardo Palomares Martinez ha scritto:
> Do you ask about MT because the previous italian localizer used it?
Yes: Firefox 2 was translated in Italian with Mozilla Translator, and I
have the glossary.zip file
> I can try to help you to set up your environment, if
> you want. We can meet in a IRC session or something alike.
It seems that I found someone able to help me with this (the owner of
the Italian locale for Calendar/Sunbird).

I've already started to use Mozilla Translator (great tool!) and commit
files to CVS: I just hope that I'm not making to much damage around :-(

Francesco
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
In reply to this post by Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Francesco Lodolo escribió:
> I've already started to use Mozilla Translator (great tool!) and commit
> files to CVS: I just hope that I'm not making to much damage around :-(


There are some quirks when using MT, but they are not big issues. Some
that come to my head right now:

- while MT is aware of en-US removed files, it won't physically remove
the localized siblings from your disk, you have to do it by hand
(compare-locales.pl will warn you about that, as tinderboxes tests
will do).

- MT can't mark en-US files as "not included" when exporting localized
versions; it can't include files not originally in en-US (the "custom
files" option doesn't really do anything useful AFAIK). So, you need
to care about searchplugins yourself.

- of course, glossaries and some translation memories features would
be good, but they are not currently available.

BTW, I'm not the original author (which is Henrik Lynggaard); I've
just took over after he and Serhiy stopped working on it, and Tashi
Asher helped me quite a lot with some GUI issues.

Best regards.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

flod
Ricardo Palomares Martinez ha scritto:
> - while MT is aware of en-US removed files, it won't physically remove
> the localized siblings from your disk, you have to do it by hand
> (compare-locales.pl will warn you about that, as tinderboxes tests
> will do).
>  
Already noticed ;-)
> BTW, I'm not the original author (which is Henrik Lynggaard); I've
> just took over after he and Serhiy stopped working on it, and Tashi
> Asher helped me quite a lot with some GUI issues.
For a person used to localizing web pages and extensions with a simple
text editor, Mozilla Traslator is a great tool.

Just a small note: could you possibly add a shortcut to "Advanced
search" in the next version? It would be really appreciated :D

Francesco.
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Francesco Lodolo wrote:

> Ricardo Palomares Martinez ha scritto:
>> Do you ask about MT because the previous italian localizer used it?
> Yes: Firefox 2 was translated in Italian with Mozilla Translator, and I
> have the glossary.zip file
>> I can try to help you to set up your environment, if
>> you want. We can meet in a IRC session or something alike.
> It seems that I found someone able to help me with this (the owner of
> the Italian locale for Calendar/Sunbird).
>
> I've already started to use Mozilla Translator (great tool!) and commit
> files to CVS: I just hope that I'm not making to much damage around :-(

No, what I've been seeing so far is looking good.

Thanks for stepping up, I know Pascal is already thinking and talking,
but if there's anything we can do to help, just let us know.

Axel
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Info about Firefox 3 localization

flod
Axel Hecht ha scritto:
> No, what I've been seeing so far is looking good.
>
> Thanks for stepping up, I know Pascal is already thinking and talking,
> but if there's anything we can do to help, just let us know.
Thanks Axel,
yesterday I was able to download a working tinderbox build for Mac Os X
and Win32-zip (I hate shortcuts!), so I think we're on the right way ;-)

Francesco.
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n