Including BSD-licensed code in Mozilla

dwitte
I have some BSD-licensed code which I'd like to include in NSPR,
specifically:
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/shims/inet_addr.c

How is this traditionally done? Asking the author to relicense is not
an option. Which leaves us with
a) include it in a trilicensed NSPR file, with the BSD license pasted
and a comment indicating that the BSD license pertains to that
function only;
b) include it as a separate, BSD-licensed file;
c) rewrite the code.

There is apparently some precedent for a) viz.
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/nsprpub/pr/src/misc/prdtoa.c.

Many thanks,
Dan.

Re: Including BSD-licensed code in Mozilla

Christopher Blizzard-2
If it's BSD-licensed I'm sure you can just include it as-is.  No
re-licensing required because it's more liberal than our tri-license.

--Chris

Re: Including BSD-licensed code in Mozilla

Gervase Markham
On 30/11/09 19:11, dwitte wrote:
> I have some BSD-licensed code which I'd like to include in NSPR,
> specifically:
> http://www.gnu-darwin.org/shims/inet_addr.c
>
> How is this traditionally done? Asking the author to relicense is not
> an option.

That particular code has the BSD advertising clause, which would
normally mean we can't include it. However, fortunately, the copyright
owner is the Regents of the University of California. A blanket
permission exists from the University of California at Berkeley to
remove that clause from code:
ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change

So we can include the code and remove the clause.

We also need to add the license boilerplate to about:licence. Please
file a bug for this work.

Gerv

Re: Including BSD-licensed code in Mozilla

Mitchell Baker
Gerv

this is really helful.  Is there a place where all this exists written
down that we can point people?  If not, can we create one?  (where "we"
here is the licensing folks, with help as needed from the overall legal
team?

mitchell

On 02/12/09 10:05, Mitchell Baker wrote:
> this is really helful.

Thank you :-)

> Is there a place where all this exists written
> down that we can point people?  If not, can we create one?  (where "we"
> here is the licensing folks, with help as needed from the overall legal
> team?

What specifically are you referring to? The info about our ability to
include University of California 4-clause BSD licensed code, or
something wider?

My concern about having a FAQ or other document for this sort of thing
is that it can never be comprehensive, and people might be less likely
to tell us when they check in code under a new license, because they
"read the docs"... And we always want to know, because there might
always be something else.

(Without wanting to pick on him, note blizzard's message in this thread
- "BSD? Should be fine...").

Gerv