Importing bookmarks from html

Sogn Mill-Scout-2
Having downloaded/installed Firefox 27 on a new laptop (with Windows 8.1), we tried to duplicate our old familiar bookmarks by selecting the "Import bookmarks from HTML" option in the library window (under "Import and Backup"). But it doesn't work; instead we keep getting an error message saying "this page" is trying to run a script, do we want to stop it or continue. Whichever option we select, it just pops up the same box again and again.

There is also an error message saying something about Chrome, and it recurs even after we uninstalled Chrome. (I'm sorry but I don't have access to the laptop now and forgot to write down the exact message.) I can't imagine how Chrome could be involved with FF in the first place, but it's particularly strange after uninstalling it.

I can't see another way to import our bookmarks, but maybe there are some settings files that contain the relevant data and could just be copied over.

FF works fine on the laptop, but we've put much time over the years into accumulating and organizing our bookmarks (including toolbar) and are not about to see that go to waste.

Thanks for any pertinent information anyone can offer.

Sogn Mill-Scout
[hidden email]

---

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

WaltS48
On 03/06/2014 02:49 PM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

> Having downloaded/installed Firefox 27 on a new laptop (with Windows 8.1), we tried to duplicate our old familiar bookmarks by selecting the "Import bookmarks from HTML" option in the library window (under "Import and Backup"). But it doesn't work; instead we keep getting an error message saying "this page" is trying to run a script, do we want to stop it or continue. Whichever option we select, it just pops up the same box again and again.
>
> There is also an error message saying something about Chrome, and it recurs even after we uninstalled Chrome. (I'm sorry but I don't have access to the laptop now and forgot to write down the exact message.) I can't imagine how Chrome could be involved with FF in the first place, but it's particularly strange after uninstalling it.
>
> I can't see another way to import our bookmarks, but maybe there are some settings files that contain the relevant data and could just be copied over.
>
> FF works fine on the laptop, but we've put much time over the years into accumulating and organizing our bookmarks (including toolbar) and are not about to see that go to waste.
>
> Thanks for any pertinent information anyone can offer.
>
> Sogn Mill-Scout
> [hidden email]

Where did you export your bookmarks to that you are trying to import?

At 02:58 PM, 3/6/2014, Thursday, WaltS wrote:

>On 03/06/2014 02:49 PM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
>>Having downloaded/installed Firefox 27 on a new laptop (with Windows 8.1), we tried to duplicate our old familiar bookmarks by selecting the "Import bookmarks from HTML" option in the library window (under "Import and Backup"). But it doesn't work; instead we keep getting an error message saying "this page" is trying to run a script, do we want to stop it or continue. Whichever option we select, it just pops up the same box again and again.
>>
>>There is also an error message saying something about Chrome, and it recurs even after we uninstalled Chrome. (I'm sorry but I don't have access to the laptop now and forgot to write down the exact message.) I can't imagine how Chrome could be involved with FF in the first place, but it's particularly strange after uninstalling it.
>>
>>I can't see another way to import our bookmarks, but maybe there are some settings files that contain the relevant data and could just be copied over.
>>
>>FF works fine on the laptop, but we've put much time over the years into accumulating and organizing our bookmarks (including toolbar) and are not about to see that go to waste.
>>
>>Thanks for any pertinent information anyone can offer.

>Where did you export your bookmarks to that you are trying to import?

Here is the location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\bookmarks.html

This is Windows XP. I can't remember why I put the file there; I've been backing up bookmarks there for many years.

I copied that file to the laptop and attempted to export them from there. I couldn't import directly from the old computer because for some reason the wi-if connection between the computers goes only one way. But I can't see how that could make any difference anyway.

Sogn

---

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

David E. Ross-3
On 3/7/2014 1:53 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

> At 02:58 PM, 3/6/2014, Thursday, WaltS wrote:
>
>> On 03/06/2014 02:49 PM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
>>> Having downloaded/installed Firefox 27 on a new laptop (with Windows 8.1), we tried to duplicate our old familiar bookmarks by selecting the "Import bookmarks from HTML" option in the library window (under "Import and Backup"). But it doesn't work; instead we keep getting an error message saying "this page" is trying to run a script, do we want to stop it or continue. Whichever option we select, it just pops up the same box again and again.
>>>
>>> There is also an error message saying something about Chrome, and it recurs even after we uninstalled Chrome. (I'm sorry but I don't have access to the laptop now and forgot to write down the exact message.) I can't imagine how Chrome could be involved with FF in the first place, but it's particularly strange after uninstalling it.
>>>
>>> I can't see another way to import our bookmarks, but maybe there are some settings files that contain the relevant data and could just be copied over.
>>>
>>> FF works fine on the laptop, but we've put much time over the years into accumulating and organizing our bookmarks (including toolbar) and are not about to see that go to waste.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pertinent information anyone can offer.
>

>> Where did you export your bookmarks to that you are trying to import?
>

> Here is the location:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\bookmarks.html
>
> This is Windows XP. I can't remember why I put the file there; I've
> been backing up bookmarks there for many years.
>
> I copied that file to the laptop and attempted to export them from
> there. I couldn't import directly from the old computer because for
> some reason the wi-if connection between the computers goes only one
> way. But I can't see how that could make any difference anyway.
>
> Sogn

No, you do not export from the copy on the laptop.  You must IMPORT from
that copy.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.

At 07:51 AM, 3/7/2014, Friday, David E. Ross wrote:

>On 3/7/2014 1:53 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

>>> Where did you export your bookmarks to that you are trying to import?
>>

>> Here is the location:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\bookmarks.html
>>
>> This is Windows XP. I can't remember why I put the file there; I've
>> been backing up bookmarks there for many years.
>>
>> I copied that file to the laptop and attempted to export them from
>> there. I couldn't import directly from the old computer because for
>> some reason the wi-if connection between the computers goes only one
>> way. But I can't see how that could make any difference anyway.
>>
>> Sogn
>>

>No, you do not export from the copy on the laptop. You must IMPORT from
>that copy.
>
>David E. Ross
><http://www.rossde.com/>

Sorry for my lack of clarity, but I am not trying to export from a file. I am trying to IMPORT from bookmarks.html, just as you suggested.

It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file, but I don't know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be the most recent .json file (in my case it's bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC version?

Sogn

Sogn Mill-Scout
[hidden email]

---

Re: Importing bookmarks from html

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file,
> but I don't know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be
> the most recent .json file (in my case it's
> bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my
> purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json
> files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC
> version?

Bookmarks (and history) are stored in places.sqlite, and json files are
used as backups.

If you want the freshest possible copy of your bookmarks, first use
Import and Backup » Backup, to create a new json file.

(Earlier, you said Firefox was giving you error messages involving
"chrome".  That wasn't a reference to Google's browser -- "chrome" is
used internally by Firefox to refer to Firefox's user interface.)

On 3/7/2014 12:35 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sogn Mill-Scout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It occurs to me that FF does not store its bookmarks in an html file,
>> but I don't know what file they are stored in. I'm thinking it may be
>> the most recent .json file (in my case it's
>> bookmarks-2014-03-05_95132.json). If so, would it accomplish my
>> purpose to simply copy that file to wherever on the laptop the json
>> files are stored, replacing the laptop version with my desktop PC
>> version?
>
> Bookmarks (and history) are stored in places.sqlite, and json files are
> used as backups.

> If you want the freshest possible copy of your bookmarks, first use
> Import and Backup » Backup, to create a new json file.
>
> (Earlier, you said Firefox was giving you error messages involving
> "chrome".  That wasn't a reference to Google's browser -- "chrome" is
> used internally by Firefox to refer to Firefox's user interface.)

For bookmarks, I would export from places.sqlite to an HTML file on the
old machine, copy the HTML file to the new machine, and then import from
the HTML file to places.sqlite on the new machine.  The import and
export are handled by the Bookmarks Manager in your browser.   Actually,
I have done exactly what I describe here, quite successfully.