ImplementionError on Elementary OS Luna while running bootstrap.py

ImplementionError on Elementary OS Luna while running bootstrap.py

Arshad Khan
Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
  File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
    dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
  File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__

NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.

Re: ImplementionError on Elementary OS Loki while running bootstrap.py

Arshad Khan
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:35:54 PM UTC+5:30, Arshad Khan wrote:

> Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
>     sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
>     dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
>   File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__
>
> NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.

Re: ImplementionError on Elementary OS Loki while running bootstrap.py

Richmond
Arshad Khan wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:35:54 PM UTC+5:30, Arshad Khan wrote:
>> Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
>>     sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
>>   File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
>>     dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
>>   File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__
>>
>> NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.

It hasn't been implemented for all distributions. I think that is
because they all have different package names and installation
procedures. I went to some trouble to find the list of distributions
implemented but I can't remember where I put it. The code is downloaded
to a temporary file before being executed and then deleted so it wasn't
easy to figure out.

As a work around I just compile until I get an error, and then search
for the required development package and install it, then run again.
Normally they are easy to find by searching repositories.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:47:35 PM UTC+5:30, Richmond wrote:

> Arshad Khan wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:35:54 PM UTC+5:30, Arshad Khan wrote:
> >> Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -
> >>
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>   File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
> >>     sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
> >>   File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
> >>     dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
> >>   File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__
> >>
> >> NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.
> >

> It hasn't been implemented for all distributions. I think that is
> because they all have different package names and installation
> procedures. I went to some trouble to find the list of distributions
> implemented but I can't remember where I put it. The code is downloaded
> to a temporary file before being executed and then deleted so it wasn't
> easy to figure out.
>
> As a work around I just compile until I get an error, and then search
> for the required development package and install it, then run again.
> Normally they are easy to find by searching repositories.

Hi, thanks for taking time to reply. So what you are saying is that I should follow the other steps and whenever I get an error I install it by searching manually?

Arshad Khan wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:47:35 PM UTC+5:30, Richmond wrote:
>> Arshad Khan wrote:

>> It hasn't been implemented for all distributions. I think that is
>> because they all have different package names and installation
>> procedures. I went to some trouble to find the list of distributions
>> implemented but I can't remember where I put it. The code is downloaded
>> to a temporary file before being executed and then deleted so it wasn't
>> easy to figure out.
>>
>> As a work around I just compile until I get an error, and then search
>> for the required development package and install it, then run again.
>> Normally they are easy to find by searching repositories.
>
> Hi, thanks for taking time to reply. So what you are saying is that I should follow the other steps and whenever I get an error I install it by searching manually?

That's what I did. I have compiled on opensuse.

Re: ImplementionError on Elementary OS Luna while running bootstrap.py

Gregory Szorc-3
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:05 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
  File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
    dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
  File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__

NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.

The bootstrapper only supports some distros and it is best effort - we try to keep the popular ones running but many are supported by passionate users.

There is some support for detecting Elementary OS. But I guess it isn't detecting "Luna" :/

If you want to contribute a fix, the detection code lives in https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/python/mozboot/mozboot/bootstrap.py. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Introduction has info on contributing a fix. This patch would belong in a Core :: Build Config bug. You can flag :gps (that's me) for review.

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 5:33:46 AM UTC+5:30, Gregory Szorc wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:05 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
>
>     sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
>
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
>
>     dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
>
>   File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__
>

> NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.
>

> The bootstrapper only supports some distros and it is best effort - we try to keep the popular ones running but many are supported by passionate users.
>
> There is some support for detecting Elementary OS. But I guess it isn't detecting "Luna" :/
>

> If you want to contribute a fix, the detection code lives in https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/python/mozboot/mozboot/bootstrap.py. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Introduction has info on contributing a fix. This patch would belong in a Core :: Build Config bug. You can flag :gps (that's me) for review.

Hi, I guess I found the issue. Will submit a fix soon.

Re: ImplementionError on Elementary OS Luna while running bootstrap.py

Arshad Khan
On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 5:33:46 AM UTC+5:30, Gregory Szorc wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:05 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
>
>     sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
>
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
>
>     dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
>
>   File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__
>

> NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.
>

> The bootstrapper only supports some distros and it is best effort - we try to keep the popular ones running but many are supported by passionate users.
>
> There is some support for detecting Elementary OS. But I guess it isn't detecting "Luna" :/
>

> If you want to contribute a fix, the detection code lives in https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/python/mozboot/mozboot/bootstrap.py. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Introduction has info on contributing a fix. This patch would belong in a Core :: Build Config bug. You can flag :gps (that's me) for review.
Which bug should I choose to add the patch into? I don't see any bug for this specific issue.

Re: ImplementionError on Elementary OS Luna while running bootstrap.py

Arshad Khan
On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 5:33:46 AM UTC+5:30, Gregory Szorc wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:05 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi, I got the following error while running bootstrap.py on my system -
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 170, in <module>
>
>     sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
>
>   File "bootstrap.py", line 160, in main
>
>     dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
>
>   File "/tmp/tmptM5avr/mozboot/bootstrap.py", line 176, in __init__
>

> NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for this Linux distro not yet available.
>

> The bootstrapper only supports some distros and it is best effort - we try to keep the popular ones running but many are supported by passionate users.
>
> There is some support for detecting Elementary OS. But I guess it isn't detecting "Luna" :/
>

> If you want to contribute a fix, the detection code lives in https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/python/mozboot/mozboot/bootstrap.py. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Introduction has info on contributing a fix. This patch would belong in a Core :: Build Config bug. You can flag :gps (that's me) for review.

I have submitted a patch. Thanks for suggesting me to make a patch :)

@Gregory Szorc Hi, Can you please vouch my mozillian profile? Link -https://mozillians.org/en-US/u/arshdkhn1/