Implementing Support for BCP 47 (Language Identification)

Implementing Support for BCP 47 (Language Identification)

Gordon P. Hemsley
Hello all,

We are in the process of implementing support for BCP 47 (Language
Identification) in Gecko/Firefox. Having already identified bug 481389
(Make sure only valid language attribute values are exposed) as relating
to accessibility, I wanted to touch base with you on any other potential
accessibility issues.

You can find many details on this wiki page:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:GPHemsley/BCP_47

We are also planning to discuss with UX the revamping of the preference
panels for Languages and Font & Colors. I imagine that discussion will
take place, at least in part, in mozilla.dev.usability, if you're
interested.

However, if you have any further concerns about accessibility for BCP 47
support outside of that UI redesign, please either reply here or make a
note on the wiki about it. You can also mark bugs as blocking the
'bcp47' bug on BMO and we'll look into it.

Thanks,
Gordon

--
Gordon P. Hemsley
http://gphemsley.org/ • http://gphemsley.org/blog/

Re: Implementing Support for BCP 47 (Language Identification)

David Bolter-3
On Jul 5, 8:38 pm, "Gordon P. Hemsley" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are in the process of implementing support for BCP 47 (Language
> Identification) in Gecko/Firefox. Having already identified bug 481389
> (Make sure only valid language attribute values are exposed) as relating
> to accessibility, I wanted to touch base with you on any other potential
> accessibility issues.
>
> You can find many details on this wiki page:https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:GPHemsley/BCP_47
>
> We are also planning to discuss with UX the revamping of the preference
> panels for Languages and Font & Colors. I imagine that discussion will
> take place, at least in part, in mozilla.dev.usability, if you're
> interested.
>
> However, if you have any further concerns about accessibility for BCP 47
> support outside of that UI redesign, please either reply here or make a
> note on the wiki about it. You can also mark bugs as blocking the
> 'bcp47' bug on BMO and we'll look into it.

Thanks for the heads up. We'll definitely be interested in any UX
changes, as well as what can be user-customized as that can greatly
effect accessibility.

Cheers,
David

Re: Implementing Support for BCP 47 (Language Identification)

CaroleHOLDER26
freelance writer