IAccessibleText only exists when focused

IAccessibleText only exists when focused

Michael Curran
Hi Aaron and all,

>From tests I have done recently, it seems that IAccessible2 objects in Gecko
only have an IAccessibleText interface if the object in question has focus.

Is this the case?

If it is, can I suggest if its at all possible, to give all objects an
IAccessibleText interface whether or not it has focus.

For instance, even though I am currently focused on a link, using other
object navigation commands / review commands in NVDA, I would still like to
be able to review the rest of the document, e.g. go up to the parent object
of the link I'm on, and look at the IAccessibleText there.

If this isn't possible thats understandable, but I'd like to have an
understanding of why this might be the case.

This also causes a problem when reading objects in NVDA with the mouse. NVDA
can read an object twhen the mouse enters its location, plus, it can also
read the current word inthat object, where the mouse is positioned. However,
when the mouse goes over objects, it doesn't seem as though any of the
objects have an IAccessibleText interface, at least, not when they don't
have focus anyway.

Of course this will also cause a problem when rendering a document in to a
virtual buffer, as the focus could be anywhere in the document when the
rendering starts.

Mick

Re: IAccessibleText only exists when focused

Aaron Leventhal-3
Actually, we expose IAccessibleText on a lot of objects that don't have focus. I
suggest that there is something else going on here.

We don't expose IAccesibleText on the readonly ROLE_TEXT leaf nodes, which are
just there for backward compatibility with today's screen readers. A newer
screen reader such as NVDA should ignore them and get their text from the
containing IAccessibleText.

More details here: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Accessibility:Architecture

- Aaron