I'm Back!

PhillipJones
Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers to get.
--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: I'm Back!

Ron Hunter
On 2/23/2011 8:37 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers to
> get.

My sympathies.  The labor involved in switching to a new computer,
particularly if there are major updates of the OS between hardware
updates makes the process very tedious, at least.  I recently migrated
all my old systems out, and upgraded all of them to Windows 7 from
Windows XP.  Major culture shock!  I did manage to find most of my
serial numbers for the programs, however.
Good luck!

Re: I'm Back!

Bob Henson-4
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 2/23/2011 8:37 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
>> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
>> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers to
>> get.
>
> My sympathies.  The labor involved in switching to a new computer,
> particularly if there are major updates of the OS between hardware
> updates makes the process very tedious, at least.  I recently migrated
> all my old systems out, and upgraded all of them to Windows 7 from
> Windows XP.  Major culture shock!  I did manage to find most of my
> serial numbers for the programs, however.
> Good luck!

My last change from Vista to Windows 7 shouldn't have been hard - but it
was Windows 7 *64 bit* that came with the new box. What a pain that was. I
had to cobble up a driver for my printer, and never did get one for my
scanner - I run Linux in VirtualBox to scan things now. Quite a few
programs wouldn't run at all under 64bit, but nothing I couldn't live
without. It's nice that all the Mozilla products run just about anywhere,
at least they aren't a headache to transfer.
--
Bigamy   - one wife too many!
Monogamy - one wife too many!

Re: I'm Back!

Terry R.-3
On 2/24/2011 4:56 AM On a whim, Bob Henson pounded out on the keyboard

> My last change from Vista to Windows 7 shouldn't have been hard - but it
> was Windows 7 *64 bit* that came with the new box. What a pain that was. I
> had to cobble up a driver for my printer, and never did get one for my
> scanner - I run Linux in VirtualBox to scan things now. Quite a few
> programs wouldn't run at all under 64bit, but nothing I couldn't live
> without. It's nice that all the Mozilla products run just about anywhere,
> at least they aren't a headache to transfer.

A minor change from Vista32 to Win7-32 wouldn't be that difficult.  Of
course older hardware may not get updated drivers from the manufacturer,
so going to a 64 bit OS may cause issues.  Not a MS issue.

32bit programs will install into a 64bit OS.  If they don't run on Win7
and did on Vista, I'd be surprised.

I'm sure you're installing the newest version of "Mozilla products" on
to your new OS.  You can't compare that with an older version of
software that was designed for an older OS.  So of course the Moz apps
would "run just about anywhere".

Terry R.

Re: I'm Back!

goodwin-4
On 02/24/2011 04:56 AM, Bob Henson wrote:

> My last change from Vista to Windows 7 shouldn't have been hard - but it
> was Windows 7 *64 bit* that came with the new box. What a pain that was. I
> had to cobble up a driver for my printer, and never did get one for my
> scanner - I run Linux in VirtualBox to scan things now.

now thats a twist - linux is usually the one that won't run scanners...

Re: I'm Back!

PhillipJones
Bob Henson wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/2011 8:37 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>>> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
>>> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
>>> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers to
>>> get.
>>
>> My sympathies.  The labor involved in switching to a new computer,
>> particularly if there are major updates of the OS between hardware
>> updates makes the process very tedious, at least.  I recently migrated
>> all my old systems out, and upgraded all of them to Windows 7 from
>> Windows XP.  Major culture shock!  I did manage to find most of my
>> serial numbers for the programs, however.
>> Good luck!
>
> My last change from Vista to Windows 7 shouldn't have been hard - but it
> was Windows 7 *64 bit* that came with the new box. What a pain that was. I
> had to cobble up a driver for my printer, and never did get one for my
> scanner - I run Linux in VirtualBox to scan things now. Quite a few
> programs wouldn't run at all under 64bit, but nothing I couldn't live
> without. It's nice that all the Mozilla products run just about anywhere,
> at least they aren't a headache to transfer.

Had to replace my old reliable HP 990CSE X.6.6 doesn't have a Native
driver did get one of those HP ePrinters a D110. There is a Native
driver from Apple. Just bought Acrobat X and using the Try out of Office
11. Good thing I  got enough money  to cover all the changes. Though I
am going to have to go back to OfficeMax and order the attcahment for
Duplexing or get the part number for it.

On 2/24/2011 6:56 AM, Bob Henson wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/2011 8:37 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>>> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
>>> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
>>> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers to
>>> get.
>>
>> My sympathies.  The labor involved in switching to a new computer,
>> particularly if there are major updates of the OS between hardware
>> updates makes the process very tedious, at least.  I recently migrated
>> all my old systems out, and upgraded all of them to Windows 7 from
>> Windows XP.  Major culture shock!  I did manage to find most of my
>> serial numbers for the programs, however.
>> Good luck!
>
> My last change from Vista to Windows 7 shouldn't have been hard - but it
> was Windows 7 *64 bit* that came with the new box. What a pain that was. I
> had to cobble up a driver for my printer, and never did get one for my
> scanner - I run Linux in VirtualBox to scan things now. Quite a few
> programs wouldn't run at all under 64bit, but nothing I couldn't live
> without. It's nice that all the Mozilla products run just about anywhere,
> at least they aren't a headache to transfer.

Strange.  I moved from WinXP to Win7 64 bit with nary a problem, with
anything.  But then I don't have any 'legacy' hardware to contend with.
  I did have to wait a week or so for a fully 64 bit version of the
printer driver, but the 'basic' driver worked for what my wife needed to do.

Re: I'm Back!

David B.
On 24/02/2011 02:37, PhillipJones wrote:
> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers to
> get.

Hello again, Phillip!

Are you fit and well?

Re: I'm Back!

WaltS48-9
On 7/5/19 4:01 AM, David B. wrote:
> On 24/02/2011 02:37, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
>> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
>> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers
>> to get.
>
> Hello again, Phillip!
>
> Are you fit and well?

We hope so.

He posted that in 2011 and it is now 2019.

Do I have to add you to my filter?

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Re: I'm Back!

Mozilla - General mailing list
WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/5/19 4:01 AM, David B. wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/2011 02:37, PhillipJones wrote:
>>
>>> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
>>> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
>>> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers
>>> to get.
>>

>> Hello again, Phillip!
>>
>> Are you fit and well?
>

> We hope so.
>
> He posted that in 2011 and it is now 2019.
>
> Do I have to add you to my filter?

A real "Blast from the past"!!  LOL

Re: I'm Back!

David B.
On 05/07/2019 17:30, jetjock wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Hello again, Phillip!
>>>
>>> Are you fit and well?
>>

>> We hope so.
>>
>> He posted that in 2011 and it is now 2019.
>>
>> Do I have to add you to my filter?
>>
> A real "Blast from the past"!!  LOL

Phillip was, as far as I know, the ONLY poster on the Annexcafe
User2User newsgroups who used an Apple computer. He was also a helper on
the Microsoft forums but I've not seen him around for some time.

http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Here he is on the Microsoft site:-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/f90960d0-e642-e011-9577-d485645a8348

You'll note that there are two links on the left hand side. The top one
works for me, but the bottom one doesn't. Any idea why?

Re: I'm Back!

David B.
On 05/07/2019 13:24, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/5/19 4:01 AM, David B. wrote:
>> On 24/02/2011 02:37, PhillipJones wrote:
>>> Been a Rough few days. Been trying to migrate the programs I want to
>>> keep from my old PowerBook to my new MacBook Pro. quite a few changes
>>> from OSX.6.6 and OX4.11 Still have a Bunch to go, and serial Numbers
>>> to get.
>>
>> Hello again, Phillip!
>>
>> Are you fit and well?
>
> We hope so.
>
> He posted that in 2011 and it is now 2019.
>
> Do I have to add you to my filter?

I'm uncertain why you would wish to 'filter' me, 'WaltS48'.

Have you time to review this thread?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/access-denied/561900f2-28a7-45c8-ad41-be014e8a8810

The links therein do still work. Sadly, Tony Smith has died.

The post now shown as having been made by 'A.User' was, in fact, made by
'...winston' - it appears that his MVP status has now been removed by
Microsoft. I don't know why.

I did TRY to talk to him!