I can't get any-where.

kdammers11
I tried for over half an hour to try to figure a couple things out on the new Mozilla.  Then i tried to ask a question using the contact us facility.  It led me around and around, going through useless  "FAQs" etc. until I finally got to a place to send, but there was only a log-in option, not a register option.  when I tried that, it booed me.  When I asked it to send me my user name and then my password, both times it said it had sent a message.  Maybe, but I never got either message (that was about four hours ago).  So, I couldn't ask questions there. Then when I tried to go to this forum, I got a Korean version.

    Actually, all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link, so I can click on it from any page, which the Flesch page I was at said I could do by dragging their button to the "toolbar" (I'm not sure what that is:  Is it the line with file, edit etc.; the one with my current URLs that are open; the line with the URL address I am currently on and the strange icons from Mozilla; or the line below it with the games and Facebook icons that I can't get rid of? I tried dragging to each of those, and none worked.  Then I tried going to the Mozilla customize page, but also got no-where.

Re: I can't get any-where.

Michael Gordon
On 5/10/2014 11:20 PM, kdammers11 wrote:

> I tried for over half an hour to try to figure a couple things out on
> the new Mozilla.  Then i tried to ask a question using the contact us
> facility.  It led me around and around, going through useless  "FAQs"
> etc. until I finally got to a place to send, but there was only a
> log-in option, not a register option.  when I tried that, it booed
> me.  When I asked it to send me my user name and then my password,
> both times it said it had sent a message.  Maybe, but I never got
> either message (that was about four hours ago).  So, I couldn't ask
> questions there. Then when I tried to go to this forum, I got a
> Korean version.
>
> Actually, all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link, so I
> can click on it from any page, which the Flesch page I was at said I
> could do by dragging their button to the "toolbar" (I'm not sure what
> that is:  Is it the line with file, edit etc.; the one with my
> current URLs that are open; the line with the URL address I am
> currently on and the strange icons from Mozilla; or the line below it
> with the games and Facebook icons that I can't get rid of? I tried
> dragging to each of those, and none worked.  Then I tried going to
> the Mozilla customize page, but also got no-where.

Well, kdammers11,

You have a big problem, and we have an even bigger problem.  We have no
idea what program you are trying to use, what version, and what your
computer operating system may be.  We need your help before we can help you.

Please provide the following.
Mozilla program:
Program version number: (Help>About)
Computer operating system and version:  (win 7, Win 8.1, etc.)
Take one problem at a time and we might be able to work through to a
solution.

Michael g

--
M Gordon Photography

http://3-michael-gordon.artistwebsites.com/

Re: I can't get any-where.

Ray_Net
Michael G wrote, On 11/05/2014 08:38:

> On 5/10/2014 11:20 PM, kdammers11 wrote:
>> I tried for over half an hour to try to figure a couple things out on
>> the new Mozilla.  Then i tried to ask a question using the contact us
>> facility.  It led me around and around, going through useless "FAQs"
>> etc. until I finally got to a place to send, but there was only a
>> log-in option, not a register option.  when I tried that, it booed
>> me.  When I asked it to send me my user name and then my password,
>> both times it said it had sent a message.  Maybe, but I never got
>> either message (that was about four hours ago).  So, I couldn't ask
>> questions there. Then when I tried to go to this forum, I got a
>> Korean version.
>>
>> Actually, all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link, so I
>> can click on it from any page, which the Flesch page I was at said I
>> could do by dragging their button to the "toolbar" (I'm not sure what
>> that is:  Is it the line with file, edit etc.; the one with my
>> current URLs that are open; the line with the URL address I am
>> currently on and the strange icons from Mozilla; or the line below it
>> with the games and Facebook icons that I can't get rid of? I tried
>> dragging to each of those, and none worked.  Then I tried going to
>> the Mozilla customize page, but also got no-where.
>>

> Well, kdammers11,
>
> You have a big problem, and we have an even bigger problem.  We have no
> idea what program you are trying to use, what version, and what your
> computer operating system may be.  We need your help before we can
> help you.
>
> Please provide the following.
> Mozilla program:
> Program version number: (Help>About)
> Computer operating system and version:  (win 7, Win 8.1, etc.)
> Take one problem at a time and we might be able to work through to a
> solution.
>
> Michael g

And reading "i tried to ask a question using the contact us" ...
It would be nice to know where you are when you click on the "contact
us" link.  What is the URL(internet adress of the site) ?

Re: I can't get any-where.

Mike Easter-2

Here's a front page for Moz support https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/

> Then i tried to ask a question using the contact us
> facility.

I don't think I would use the Contact us.  I would pick my app such as
Tb or Ffx and use the associated links for that.

> It led me around and around, going through useless  "FAQs"
> etc. until I finally got to a place to send, but there was only a
> log-in option, not a register option.

If I go to the Ffx support, I see Ask a question at the top of the page.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox

The problem with that system is that it appears to require that one
provide log-in credentials but does not provide a clear route to
registering; however, at the beginning of the process the progress bar
indicates the sequence that support system wants/expects:

Pick a product
Pick a topic and try some solutions
Register or Sign In
Fill in details
Confirm registration
DONE

> when I tried that, it booed me. When I asked it to send me my user
> name and then my password, both times it said it had sent a message.
> Maybe, but I never got either message (that was about four hours
> ago). So, I couldn't ask questions there. Then when I tried to go to
> this forum, I got a Korean version.

I see that you are accessing from a .kr IP.

> Actually, all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link, so I
> can click on it from any page, which the Flesch page I was at said I
> could do by dragging their button to the "toolbar"

I see that page here

https://readability-score.com/  Bookmarklet - Drag this button to your
toolbar to quickly run a test on any webpage!

> (I'm not sure what
> that is:  Is it the line with file, edit etc.; the one with my
> current URLs that are open; the line with the URL address I am
> currently on and the strange icons from Mozilla; or the line below it
> with the games and Facebook icons that I can't get rid of? I tried
> dragging to each of those, and none worked.  Then I tried going to
> the Mozilla customize page, but also got no-where.

Your question is a combination of sharing your opinion of how the moz
support pages work and seeking an answer to a Firefox question.

This moz .general group is probably the best for the opinion business
while the firefox support group might do the best about answering how to
drag the bookmarklet to your Ffx bookmark bar.  I'm no help there as I
don't use Ffx, but I would put my mouse cursor on the icon and depress
my left mouse button and drag the icon's representation to the bookmark
bar, assuming Ffx has a bookmark bar.

--
Mike Easter

Re: I can't get any-where.

Mike Easter-2
Mike Easter wrote:
> kdammers11 wrote:

>> Actually, all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link, so I
>> can click on it from any page, which the Flesch page I was at said I
>> could do by dragging their button to the "toolbar"
>
> I see that page here
>
> https://readability-score.com/  Bookmarklet - Drag this button to your
> toolbar to quickly run a test on any webpage!

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bookmarklets-perform-common-web-page-tasks

How do I install a bookmarklet?

To install a bookmarklet, simply:

   Show the Bookmarks Toolbar by right-clicking on an empty section of
the Tab Strip and checking Bookmarks Toolbar in the pop-up menu.
   Drag the bookmarklet from the page to your Bookmarks Toolbar. It
should appear on the toolbar.

--
Mike Easter

Re: I can't get any-where.

caver1-6
On 05/11/2014 02:38 AM, Michael G wrote:

> On 5/10/2014 11:20 PM, kdammers11 wrote:
>> I tried for over half an hour to try to figure a couple things out on
>> the new Mozilla.  Then i tried to ask a question using the contact us
>> facility.  It led me around and around, going through useless  "FAQs"
>> etc. until I finally got to a place to send, but there was only a
>> log-in option, not a register option.  when I tried that, it booed
>> me.  When I asked it to send me my user name and then my password,
>> both times it said it had sent a message.  Maybe, but I never got
>> either message (that was about four hours ago).  So, I couldn't ask
>> questions there. Then when I tried to go to this forum, I got a
>> Korean version.

This is a good suppto use;
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=3

>> Actually, all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link, so I
>> can click on it from any page, which the Flesch page I was at said I
>> could do by dragging their button to the "toolbar" (I'm not sure what
>> that is:  Is it the line with file, edit etc.; the one with my
>> current URLs that are open; the line with the URL address I am
>> currently on and the strange icons from Mozilla; or the line below it
>> with the games and Facebook icons that I can't get rid of? I tried
>> dragging to each of those, and none worked.  Then I tried going to
>> the Mozilla customize page, but also got no-where.

You would drag the url from the address box, where you type in addresses
(urls) to surf to, to the bookmark toolbar which is right below the
navigation bar. Which has the address box, the search box, back forward
buttons, and maybe icon buttons for various addons you have. If you
don't have a bookmark toolbar, or not sure if you do, right click on the
navigation  bar and make sure that the bookmark toolbar has a check in
front of it, if not click on it. If you have never used the bookmark
toolbar before it should have a most visited button on it. I think there
might be another button also but I removed those two  awhile back and
don't remember for sure.

--
Caver1

> Well, kdammers11,
>
> You have a big problem, and we have an even bigger problem.  We have no
> idea what program you are trying to use, what version, and what your
> computer operating system may be.  We need your help before we can help
> you.
>
> Please provide the following.
> Mozilla program:
> Program version number: (Help>About)
> Computer operating system and version:  (win 7, Win 8.1, etc.)
> Take one problem at a time and we might be able to work through to a
> solution.
>
> Michael g

Re: I can't get any-where.

Mike Easter-2
kdammers11 wrote:

> all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link

Another readability angle, also breadcrumb trail:

mozilla support  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/

(or use the firefox page) input bookmarklet into the search function

click Use bookmarklets to quickly perform common web page tasks
This article explains what bookmarklets are, and how to install and use
them.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bookmarklets-perform-common-web-page-tasks?esab=a&s=bookmarklet&r=0&as=s

see and click Now that you know what bookmarklets are and how to install
and use them, here are some cool bookmarklets to start your own collection:

Readability removes crufty sidebars from web pages and enlarges text to
make it easier to read.

click readability https://www.readability.com/bookmarklets
The Easy Way (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, IE9+, etc)
If you're using a browser that supports it, you should be able to click
and drag each of the three bookmarklets below to your bookmarks or
favorites bar.

--
Mike Easter

Re: I can't get any-where.

PhillipJones-2
Mike Easter wrote:

> kdammers11 wrote:
>> I tried for over half an hour to try to figure a couple things out on
>> the new Mozilla.
>
> Here's a front page for Moz support https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/
>
>> Then i tried to ask a question using the contact us
>> facility.
>
> I don't think I would use the Contact us.  I would pick my app such as
> Tb or Ffx and use the associated links for that.
>
>> It led me around and around, going through useless  "FAQs"
>> etc. until I finally got to a place to send, but there was only a
>> log-in option, not a register option.
>
> If I go to the Ffx support, I see Ask a question at the top of the page.
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
>
> The problem with that system is that it appears to require that one
> provide log-in credentials but does not provide a clear route to
> registering; however, at the beginning of the process the progress bar
> indicates the sequence that support system wants/expects:
>
> Pick a product
> Pick a topic and try some solutions
> Register or Sign In
> Fill in details
> Confirm registration
> DONE
>
>> when I tried that, it booed me. When I asked it to send me my user
>> name and then my password, both times it said it had sent a message.
>> Maybe, but I never got either message (that was about four hours
>> ago). So, I couldn't ask questions there. Then when I tried to go to
>> this forum, I got a Korean version.
>
> I see that you are accessing from a .kr IP.
>
>> Actually, all I'm trying to do is add a Flesch Readability link, so I
>> can click on it from any page, which the Flesch page I was at said I
>> could do by dragging their button to the "toolbar"
>
> I see that page here
>
> https://readability-score.com/  Bookmarklet - Drag this button to your
> toolbar to quickly run a test on any webpage!
>
>> (I'm not sure what
>> that is:  Is it the line with file, edit etc.; the one with my
>> current URLs that are open; the line with the URL address I am
>> currently on and the strange icons from Mozilla; or the line below it
>> with the games and Facebook icons that I can't get rid of? I tried
>> dragging to each of those, and none worked.  Then I tried going to
>> the Mozilla customize page, but also got no-where.
>
> Your question is a combination of sharing your opinion of how the moz
> support pages work and seeking an answer to a Firefox question.
>
> This moz .general group is probably the best for the opinion business
> while the firefox support group might do the best about answering how to
> drag the bookmarklet to your Ffx bookmark bar.  I'm no help there as I
> don't use Ffx, but I would put my mouse cursor on the icon and depress
> my left mouse button and drag the icon's representation to the bookmark
> bar, assuming Ffx has a bookmark bar.

Does up to and including version 28
29 doesn't have such niceties.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: I can't get any-where.

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
PhillipJones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:

[about how to install a bookmarklet]
> > I would put my mouse cursor on the icon and depress my left mouse
> > button and drag the icon's representation to the bookmark bar,
> > assuming Ffx has a bookmark bar.
>
> Does up to and including version 28
> 29 doesn't have such niceties.

Firefox 29 does have a bookmark bar, and dragging a bookmarklet to it
works fine.

Re: I can't get any-where.

Ron Hunter
On 5/11/2014 4:35 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> [...]
>>> that is:  Is it the line with file, edit etc.; the one with my
>>> current URLs that are open; the line with the URL address I am
>>> currently on and the strange icons from Mozilla; or the line below it
>>> with the games and Facebook icons that I can't get rid of? I tried
>>> dragging to each of those, and none worked.  Then I tried going to
>>> the Mozilla customize page, but also got no-where.
>>
>> Your question is a combination of sharing your opinion of how the moz
>> support pages work and seeking an answer to a Firefox question.
>>
>> This moz .general group is probably the best for the opinion business
>> while the firefox support group might do the best about answering how to
>> drag the bookmarklet to your Ffx bookmark bar.  I'm no help there as I
>> don't use Ffx, but I would put my mouse cursor on the icon and depress
>> my left mouse button and drag the icon's representation to the bookmark

FF 29 certainly DOES have a bookmarks toolbar.
Can you drag a bookmarklet to it?  I don't know, as I have never been
able to make a bookmarklet work on ANY version.  I don't think they like me.

Re: I can't get any-where.

caver1-6
On 05/11/2014 06:17 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> PhillipJones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>
> [about how to install a bookmarklet]
>>> I would put my mouse cursor on the icon and depress my left mouse
>>> button and drag the icon's representation to the bookmark bar,
>>> assuming Ffx has a bookmark bar.
>>
>> Does up to and including version 28
>> 29 doesn't have such niceties.
>
> Firefox 29 does have a bookmark bar, and dragging a bookmarklet to it
> works fine.

It also has an additional toolbar that you can use.

--
Caver1

Re: I can't get any-where.

Ed Mullen-9
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 5/11/2014 4:35 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a front page for Moz support https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/

>>> I don't think I would use the Contact us.  I would pick my app such as
>>> Tb or Ffx and use the associated links for that.

>>> If I go to the Ffx support, I see Ask a question at the top of the page.
>>>
>>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
>>>
>>> The problem with that system is that it appears to require that one
>>> provide log-in credentials but does not provide a clear route to
>>> registering; however, at the beginning of the process the progress bar
>>> indicates the sequence that support system wants/expects:
>>>
>>> Pick a product
>>> Pick a topic and try some solutions
>>> Register or Sign In
>>> Fill in details
>>> Confirm registration
>>> DONE

>>> I see that you are accessing from a .kr IP.

>>> I see that page here
>>>
>>> https://readability-score.com/  Bookmarklet - Drag this button to your
>>> toolbar to quickly run a test on any webpage!

>>> Your question is a combination of sharing your opinion of how the moz
>>> support pages work and seeking an answer to a Firefox question.
>>>
>>> This moz .general group is probably the best for the opinion business
>>> while the firefox support group might do the best about answering how to
>>> drag the bookmarklet to your Ffx bookmark bar.  I'm no help there as I
>>> don't use Ffx, but I would put my mouse cursor on the icon and depress
>>> my left mouse button and drag the icon's representation to the bookmark
>>> bar, assuming Ffx has a bookmark bar.
>>>

>> Does up to and including version 28
>> 29 doesn't have such niceties.
>>
> FF 29 certainly DOES have a bookmarks toolbar.
> Can you drag a bookmarklet to it?  I don't know, as I have never been
> able to make a bookmarklet work on ANY version.  I don't think they like
> me.

Really, Ron?

<http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz_bmarks.php>

<http://edmullen.net/mozilla/bookmarklets.php>

Been using bookmarklets in Mozilla browsers for decades.

Just remember, bookmarklets are javascript based.  If you're blocking it
they won't work.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: I can't get any-where.

Ron Hunter
On 5/11/2014 8:24 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Does up to and including version 28
>>> 29 doesn't have such niceties.
>>>
>> FF 29 certainly DOES have a bookmarks toolbar.
>> Can you drag a bookmarklet to it?  I don't know, as I have never been
>> able to make a bookmarklet work on ANY version.  I don't think they like
>> me.
>>

> Really, Ron?
>
> <http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz_bmarks.php>
>
> <http://edmullen.net/mozilla/bookmarklets.php>
>
> Been using bookmarklets in Mozilla browsers for decades.
>
> Just remember, bookmarklets are javascript based.  If you're blocking it
> they won't work.

I don't block javascript, but I have never had much luck with
bookmarklets.  Mostly I have tried the ones that allow saving passwords.
  Never got one to work, so I just gave up trying to use them.