How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Carl Gehr
I had done something with Moz 1.4 to keep the sub-menus from acting like
Windoze; i.e., Automatically displaying and often selecting submenus
without clicking on a selection.  I absolutely _hate_ that behavior.

I don't remember exactly how I corrected it, but I found a user.js file
in my old Moz14 directory that has a statement:
        user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", -1);
Is this the way to 'fix' this?  Does it still work on Mozilla 1.7.12?

TIA,
Carl

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

James Moe
Carl Gehr wrote:

> I don't remember exactly how I corrected it, but I found a user.js file
> in my old Moz14 directory that has a statement:
> user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", -1);
> Is this the way to 'fix' this?  Does it still work on Mozilla 1.7.12?

  Yes.

(Remove DESPAMMZ for email)

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Peter Weilbacher
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:23:32 UTC, James Moe wrote:

> Carl Gehr wrote:
> >
> > I don't remember exactly how I corrected it, but I found a user.js file
> > in my old Moz14 directory that has a statement:
> > user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", -1);
> > Is this the way to 'fix' this?  Does it still work on Mozilla 1.7.12?
> >
>   Yes.

While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Andy Willis-2
Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:23:32 UTC, James Moe wrote:
>
>> Carl Gehr wrote:
>>> I don't remember exactly how I corrected it, but I found a user.js file
>>> in my old Moz14 directory that has a statement:
>>> user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", -1);
>>> Is this the way to 'fix' this?  Does it still work on Mozilla 1.7.12?
>>>
>>   Yes.
>
> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.
For my $0.02 I would say change it.  What I am wanting to figure out how
to change is the behaviour of the initial menus.  I really prefer them
to stay on the one I click on until I click on another instead of the
one under my mouse opening up.
Andy

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Heikki Kekki
Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:23:32 UTC, James Moe wrote:
>
>> Carl Gehr wrote:
>>> I don't remember exactly how I corrected it, but I found a user.js file
>>> in my old Moz14 directory that has a statement:
>>> user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", -1);
>>> Is this the way to 'fix' this?  Does it still work on Mozilla 1.7.12?
>>>
>>   Yes.
>
> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.

I have user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", 750);
I also have user_pref("ui.menuDelay", -1); unfortunately it doesn't
work. IMHO it should, I hate sliding menus. Menu follows mouse pointer
option would be nice in preferences like OpenOffice.

--
Hessu
Feel free to correct my English :-)

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Felix Miata-2
On 05/12/13 09:13 Andy Willis apparently typed:

> Peter Weilbacher wrote:

>> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
>> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.

> For my $0.02 I would say change it.  What I am wanting to figure out how
> to change is the behaviour of the initial menus.  I really prefer them
> to stay on the one I click on until I click on another instead of the
> one under my mouse opening up.

This is what I want too, but IIRC a bug was filed some time back to get it,
and it was wontfixed. I could be wrong.
--
Jesus Christ is the reason for the season.

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Kim Ludvigsen
Den 13-12-05 11.39 skrev Peter Weilbacher følgende:

> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.

I prefer the default. My OS is setup to have the same behavior in
folders and menus with Amouse.

Regards
Kim Ludvigsen

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
>> > user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", -1);
>> > Is this the way to 'fix' this?  Does it still work on Mozilla 1.7.12?
>> >
>>   Yes.
>
> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.

  I vote for -1. It allows less precise mouse handling.

(Remove DESPAMMZ for email)

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

inkleputDEL
Felix Miata <[hidden email]> said:

>>> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
>>> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.

>> For my $0.02 I would say change it.  What I am wanting to figure out how
>> to change is the behaviour of the initial menus.  I really prefer them
>> to stay on the one I click on until I click on another instead of the
>> one under my mouse opening up.

>This is what I want too, but IIRC a bug was filed some time back to get
>it,  and it was wontfixed. I could be wrong.

Add me to that list.  But I don't expect any action.  It seems a lot of
OS/2 mover/shakers are determined to make OS/2 exactly like windows.
The only thing I want like windows is less fiddling to make things work
and keep things working.  And a lot of progress is being made in that
direction by things like WarpIn and eCSMT.  It's too bad the eCS people
also seem to have the idea that OS/2 should be as much like windows as
possible.

Jim L

--
The term "christmas tree" must be eliminated from public use: ACLU

James Moe <[hidden email]> said:

>  I vote for -1. It allows less precise mouse handling.

Yes.  I don't know how many times a day I click a menu item and
accidentally open the adjacent menu when I go to click an item on the
sub-menu.

And I could die happy if it were possible at least to delay all
mouseover reaction.  That would solve a lot of the problems in windows
mimicing menu behavior.

Jim L

--
The term "christmas tree" must be eliminated from public use: ACLU

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Stan Goodman
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:39:21 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
<[hidden email]> opined:

> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:23:32 UTC, James Moe wrote:
>
> > Carl Gehr wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't remember exactly how I corrected it, but I found a user.js file
> > > in my old Moz14 directory that has a statement:
> > > user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", -1);
> > > Is this the way to 'fix' this?  Does it still work on Mozilla 1.7.12?
> > >
> >   Yes.
>
> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.

I doubt it. It's nerve wracking, especially when there are several
successive levels ("Ya gotta be quick!"). It's a Winodws innovaation,
and probably there because Gates thinks it appeals to ninnies by
emulating semi-magical behavior.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Heiko Nitzsche-2
> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.

As I use Mozilla on OS/2, Linux and Windows I'd prefer
to have a common behaviour. So the default as it is
is not too bad.
I see no urgent need to change this as users can modify/add
this setting via about:config easily. But it's hard to get
rid of it as about:config does not allow deleting a property.

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Mikus Grinbergs
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:03:40 +0100 Heiko Nitzsche <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> > OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.
>
> As I use Mozilla on OS/2, Linux and Windows I'd prefer
> to have a common behaviour. So the default as it is
> is not too bad.
> I see no urgent need to change this as users can modify/add
> this setting via about:config easily. But it's hard to get
> rid of it as about:config does not allow deleting a property.

For myself, I use:

  user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", 1100);

That is short enough so I can open a submenu by just "hovering",
but also long enough that I have the time to move diagonally
with my cursor into the submenu.  (Also, it is long enough that
my menu entries don't "flicker" as the cursor passes throgh them.)

mikus

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:03:40 UTC, Heiko Nitzsche wrote:

> > While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> > OS/2 who likes the default? I was thinking to make -1 the default.
>
> As I use Mozilla on OS/2, Linux and Windows I'd prefer
> to have a common behaviour. So the default as it is
> is not too bad.

You have a point there. (Of course in that case you could also set -1 or
whatever you prefer everywhere. :-) )

> I see no urgent need to change this as users can modify/add
> this setting via about:config easily. But it's hard to get
> rid of it as about:config does not allow deleting a property.

You are supposed to select "Reset" from the popup-menu to make that
happen. Of course it will ultimately fail if the override is in user.js.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Fred Blau
Peter,

Is this switch in your Mozilla 1.7.12?  I don't see it in my copy of
prefs.js and I do not have a file called user.js.

(Change "s@" to "systematics@")

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Heiko Nitzsche-2
>>As I use Mozilla on OS/2, Linux and Windows I'd prefer
>>to have a common behaviour. So the default as it is
>>is not too bad.
>
> You have a point there. (Of course in that case you could also set -1 or
> whatever you prefer everywhere. :-) )

Of course, but why? I like the default. I also have configured
XWorkplace (or better eWorkplace) to simulate the same ;) .
(I'm just lazy doing too many clicks ;) .)

You probably will not get the Windows users to accept -1.
So if the default is not changed for all platforms, the common
behavior slides away.

Personally I don't really care what the default is as long it
is modifiable. I guess that's also true for most Linux users.

>>I see no urgent need to change this as users can modify/add
>>this setting via about:config easily. But it's hard to get
>>rid of it as about:config does not allow deleting a property.
>
> You are supposed to select "Reset" from the popup-menu to make that
> happen. Of course it will ultimately fail if the override is in user.js.

I tried this but only the number was removed without setting
the default value nor removing the key. Changing the value
seems to have an immediate effect while the reset seems
to require a restart of Mozilla. Then also the key is gone.

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Ilya Zakharevich
Peter Weilbacher
<[hidden email]>], who wrote in article <[hidden email]>:
> While we are at this, is there anybody using Mozilla or Firefox under
> OS/2 who likes the default?

Yes.  All menus on this machine behave like this (via NPSWPS).

Thanks,
Ilya

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:35:23 UTC, "Fred Blau" wrote:

> Is this switch in your Mozilla 1.7.12?  I don't see it in my copy of
> prefs.js and I do not have a file called user.js.

Then you have to put it there (or use about:config instead), if it's
missing that just means that you use the default.

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:48:14 UTC, Heiko Nitzsche wrote:

> >>As I use Mozilla on OS/2, Linux and Windows I'd prefer
> >>to have a common behaviour. So the default as it is
> >>is not too bad.
> >
> > You have a point there. (Of course in that case you could also set -1 or
> > whatever you prefer everywhere. :-) )

As you can see...                   ^^^

> Of course, but why?

... that was not a serious suggestion.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: How to stop SubMenus from working like Windoze?

Stan Goodman
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:35:23 UTC, "Fred Blau" <[hidden email]>
opined:
> Peter,
>
> Is this switch in your Mozilla 1.7.12?  I don't see it in my copy of
> prefs.js and I do not have a file called user.js.

It doesn't come with the browser out of the box. You have to make it
in the same directory as prefs.js. Whatever is in user.js overrides
what is in prefs.js. The point of it is that you don't have to edit
prefs.js in order to modify it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on