How to save bookmark to desktop

Bobby-6
I liked the way that IE allows you to "send to -> desktop" when you are
viewing a webpage. This places a shortcut to the URL on the desktop (it does
not save a copy of the page - which loses the actual URL).

Does FF (1.5) have anuthing similar?

Cheers.

Bobby

Re: How to save bookmark to desktop

Moz Champion (Dan)
Bobby wrote:

> I liked the way that IE allows you to "send to -> desktop" when you are
> viewing a webpage. This places a shortcut to the URL on the desktop (it does
> not save a copy of the page - which loses the actual URL).
>
> Does FF (1.5) have anuthing similar?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Not exactly <g>
Firefox has a Save Page option, which saves the entire page to the
desktop of course
It also has a Send Link option, but that results in a mail message being
created (in your default email program) with the link
Firefox also has Bookmarks, which stores the url within the program itself.

Re: How to save bookmark to desktop

captjlddavis
On 1/18/2006 1:40 PM, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Bobby wrote:
>> I liked the way that IE allows you to "send to -> desktop" when you are
>> viewing a webpage. This places a shortcut to the URL on the desktop (it does
>> not save a copy of the page - which loses the actual URL).
>>
>> Does FF (1.5) have anuthing similar?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby
>>

> Not exactly <g>
> Firefox has a Save Page option, which saves the entire page to the
> desktop of course
> It also has a Send Link option, but that results in a mail message being
> created (in your default email program) with the link
> Firefox also has Bookmarks, which stores the url within the program itself.

You can get a SHROTCUT to the URL on the DT by selecting the favicon in
the location bar and draging to DT - or you can grab the actual TAB and
drag that to the DT - As far as I know there is no "send to: DT" in FF.
Maybe an extension someplace ( not a big fan of extensions myself )
but I could be wrong.

regards:captjlddavis

Re: How to save bookmark to desktop

Paul B. Gallagher
Bobby wrote:

> I liked the way that IE allows you to "send to -> desktop" when you are
> viewing a webpage. This places a shortcut to the URL on the desktop (it does
> not save a copy of the page - which loses the actual URL).
>
> Does FF (1.5) have anuthing similar?

You can do it by hand as follows:

Copy the URL to the clipboard.

Right-click an empty area of the desktop and choose "New... Shortcut."

In the dialog that appears, paste the URL and click "Next."

In the next dialog, type whatever descriptive name you want to assign
and click "Next."

An Internet shortcut is created, which will open in your default browser.

Above directions are for Windows 2000; WinXP directions may vary.

Paul B. Gallagher

Re: How to save bookmark to desktop

Bobby-6
Cheers Captain. That works fine.

In fact, FF's drag capabilities are pretty impressive. You can drag the
current URL (if you begin by clicking on the icon) just about anywhere
(including on-screen forms).

But you don't use extensions???? Are you mad????? ;-)

"captjlddavis" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On 1/18/2006 1:40 PM, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Bobby wrote:
>>> I liked the way that IE allows you to "send to -> desktop" when you are
>>> viewing a webpage. This places a shortcut to the URL on the desktop (it
>>> does
>>> not save a copy of the page - which loses the actual URL).
>>>
>>> Does FF (1.5) have anuthing similar?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>

>> Not exactly <g>
>> Firefox has a Save Page option, which saves the entire page to the
>> desktop of course
>> It also has a Send Link option, but that results in a mail message being
>> created (in your default email program) with the link
>> Firefox also has Bookmarks, which stores the url within the program
>> itself.
>
> You can get a SHROTCUT to the URL on the DT by selecting the favicon in
> the location bar and draging to DT - or you can grab the actual TAB and
> drag that to the DT - As far as I know there is no "send to: DT" in FF.
> Maybe an extension someplace ( not a big fan of extensions myself )
> but I could be wrong.
>
> regards:captjlddavis

Re: How to save bookmark to desktop

Bobby-6
Thanks Paul for trying to help. But I would be quicker visiting the owner of
the website and hand-painting the page. ;-) See previous replies for faster
method.

news:[hidden email]...

Bobby wrote:

> Cheers Captain. That works fine.
>
> In fact, FF's drag capabilities are pretty impressive. You can drag the
> current URL (if you begin by clicking on the icon) just about anywhere
> (including on-screen forms).
>
> But you don't use extensions???? Are you mad????? ;-)
>
> "captjlddavis" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...

>>> Not exactly <g>
>>> Firefox has a Save Page option, which saves the entire page to the
>>> desktop of course
>>> It also has a Send Link option, but that results in a mail message being
>>> created (in your default email program) with the link
>>> Firefox also has Bookmarks, which stores the url within the program
>>> itself.
>> You can get a SHROTCUT to the URL on the DT by selecting the favicon in
>> the location bar and draging to DT - or you can grab the actual TAB and
>> drag that to the DT - As far as I know there is no "send to: DT" in FF.
>> Maybe an extension someplace ( not a big fan of extensions myself )
>> but I could be wrong.
>>
>> regards:captjlddavis

I just noted this post is crossposted, Please post to ONE group if you
require answers thanks. Please bottom post as well, thanks
I dont reply to crossposts

Re: How to save bookmark to desktop

Bobby-6
> I just noted this post is crossposted, Please post to ONE group if you
> require answers thanks.

You've just invented a new rule. There's nothing wrong with posting to
multiple NGs - so long as the post is relevant to them all.

> Please bottom post as well, thanks

Top posting is bad. Bottom posting is worse. The correct procedure is to
quote-and-reply. Like this.

> I dont reply to crossposts

Don't be a baby. ;-)

Bobby wrote:

>> I just noted this post is crossposted, Please post to ONE group if you
>> require answers thanks.
>
> You've just invented a new rule. There's nothing wrong with posting to
> multiple NGs - so long as the post is relevant to them all.
>
>> Please bottom post as well, thanks
>
> Top posting is bad. Bottom posting is worse. The correct procedure is to
> quote-and-reply. Like this.
>
>> I dont reply to crossposts
>
> Don't be a baby. ;-)

You can complain all you want. The guide for this group is

If you can read its says
NO CROSSPOSTING

It also states
Some people like to put reply after the quoted text, some like it the
other way around, and still some prefer interspersed style. Debates
about which posting style is better have lead to many flame wars in the
forums. To keep forum discussion friendly, please follow the general
preference, which is bottom-posting (with the exception of the
accessibility forum, which is top-posting).

And I wasnt doing anything except stating that I wouldnt reply to
crossposts - thats not a 'cry' or a complaint, thats a statement. Period.

Precisely put, you want my assistance on a question, then hey follow the
guide. If you dont, then I wont assist, its your call.

Bobby wrote:

> "Paul B. Gallagher" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>  news:[hidden email]...
>
>> Bobby wrote:
>>
>>> I liked the way that IE allows you to "send to -> desktop" when
>>> you are viewing a webpage. This places a shortcut to the URL on
>>> the desktop (it does not save a copy of the page - which loses
>>> the actual URL).
>>>
>>> Does FF (1.5) have anuthing similar?
>>
>> You can do it by hand as follows:
>>
>> Copy the URL to the clipboard.
>>
>> Right-click an empty area of the desktop and choose "New...
>> Shortcut."
>>
>> In the dialog that appears, paste the URL and click "Next."
>>
>> In the next dialog, type whatever descriptive name you want to
>> assign and click "Next."
>>
>> An Internet shortcut is created, which will open in your default
>> browser.
>>
>> Above directions are for Windows 2000; WinXP directions may vary.
>>
>> --
>> War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
>> --
>> Paul B. Gallagher
>
> Thanks Paul for trying to help. But I would be quicker visiting the
> owner of the website and hand-painting the page. ;-) See previous
> replies for faster method.

On my machine, it took 10-15 seconds, most of that in typing the
description. YMMV.

Admittedly slower than "the right way," but better than "I can't do it."

Paul B. Gallagher