How to report an ambiguous original string

How to report an ambiguous original string

Eduardo Trápani
Take for example this string (there was another in the latest batch, but
I didn't write it down):

"Update directory"[1]

Some teams translated this as "the directory that holds updates" and
some as "bring the directory up to date".

I have made a suggestion for a couple of locales, but for the vast
majority of them, I have no idea if they got it right or not.

[1]
https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=toolkit/toolkit/about/aboutSupport.ftl:app-basics-update-dir&repo=gecko_strings

Re: How to report an ambiguous original string

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Hi Eduardo,

That string should definitely have a comment to give context. If it's
in Firefox, filing a bug and CC me would probably be the best way to
go. If you prefer to just reach out directly, that works too.

Adding a comment at this point won't solve the wrong translations, so
bringing it up on the mailing list is a good idea.

Francesco

Il giorno ven 28 giu 2019 alle ore 15:44 Eduardo Trápani
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Take for example this string (there was another in the latest batch, but
> I didn't write it down):
>
> "Update directory"[1]
>
> Some teams translated this as "the directory that holds updates" and
> some as "bring the directory up to date".
>
> I have made a suggestion for a couple of locales, but for the vast
> majority of them, I have no idea if they got it right or not.
>
> [1]
> https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=toolkit/toolkit/about/aboutSupport.ftl:app-basics-update-dir&repo=gecko_strings

Re: How to report an ambiguous original string

Matjaz Horvat-2
Hi Eduardo,

The PMs will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think using this list, IRC
or Bugzilla is fine for now.

Now that a built-it solution is coming to Pontoon after we're done
with the Translate view rewrite to React. See "Source String
Comments":
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W_MEYwtNn-_J0Uiu7gTSwc2B3oux75rjVtjGu-YoFi4/edit#heading=h.m5925bkwn5z3

Cheers,
Matjaž