How to get FireFox to allow HTTP over port other than 80

How to get FireFox to allow HTTP over port other than 80

netter06108
Hi,

I need to access a webserver that is on port 23 instead of 80, but
Firefox won't let me and produces the following error message:

This address is restricted

This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes
other than Web browsing. Firefox has canceled the request for your
protection.

Which setting can I change to allow HTTP over port 23?

Thanks

Chris.

Re: How to get FireFox to allow HTTP over port other than 80

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to access a webserver that is on port 23 instead of 80, but
> Firefox won't let me and produces the following error message:

> This address is restricted
>
> This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes
> other than Web browsing. Firefox has canceled the request for your
> protection.
>
> Which setting can I change to allow HTTP over port 23?

have you tried http://url.of.website:23

Rinaldi
--
Rules for Academic Deans:
        (1)  HIDE!!!!

Re: How to get FireFox to allow HTTP over port other than 80

netter06108
That's exactly what I'm trying to do - Have you tried it? Please try it
- even with a bogus url like in your example.....

[hidden email] wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I need to access a web server that is on port 23 instead of 80, but
 > > Firefox won't let me and produces the following error message:

 > > This address is restricted
 > >
 > > This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes
 > > other than Web browsing. Firefox has canceled the request for your
 > > protection.
 > >
 > > Which setting can I change to allow HTTP over port 23?

 > have you tried http://url.of.website:23

> That's exactly what I'm trying to do - Have you tried it? Please try it
> - even with a bogus url like in your example.....

Please do not snip all quoted material.  Context retained.

I have not used port 23 but I have used port 8080 in that fashion.

Bear in mind that what FF is telling you is that port 23 is normally
restricted to telnet applications.  Telnet is not a secure function.

Do you have any control over what port the web server is on?

Rinaldi
--
There has been an alarming increase in the number of things you know
nothing about.

Re: How to get FireFox to allow HTTP over port other than 80

Shankar Unni
[hidden email] wrote:

> This address is restricted

Googling around brought up this link almost immediately:

http://ackbarr.xoops.org/archives/2005/03/31/integrated-windows-authentication-in-firefox/#comment-1650

Synopsis:
add a string key on the about:config page called
“network.security.ports.banned.override” and set a comma-delimited list
of port numbers.

Shankar Unni wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> This address is restricted
>

> Googling around brought up this link almost immediately:
>
> http://ackbarr.xoops.org/archives/2005/03/31/integrated-windows-authentication-in-firefox/#comment-1650
>
> Synopsis:
> add a string key on the about:config page called
> “network.security.ports.banned.override” and set a comma-delimited list
> of port numbers.

Hmm.  Yes.  But still bad form.  Much better to run the server on a non
restricted port.  Even 2323 would be better.  If for no other reason
than all visitors would have to have hacked their config.

Rinaldi
--
Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking
distance.

Re: How to get FireFox to allow HTTP over port other than 80

netter06108
Thanks soooo much - exactly the information I was looking for!

Chris.